Metal Clubs and Rock Nights

AlexGuinness

The Collector
Oct 14, 2004
Scotland.
www.facebook.com
Do you guys attend these, if so do you hear things like Opeth? If not, what sort of things are played?

One of the reasons that I don't understand people only being able to discover new bands by downloading, is that over the years I have been exposed to all sorts of new bands by going to club nights, supporting the local scene, etc.

I have been running rock nights in my locality for the last 4 years or so and have been slipping the odd personal favourite tracks amongst the requests for all of it. I am also involved in experimenting with a larger scale Rock Night in the town's main venue later this month.

This past Saturday we had a packed out venue again and I had quite a few requests for Opeth (including from the drummer for Criminal and Extreme Noise Terror). Some of this maybe down to the fact that I was wearing an Opeth shirt at the time, but it got me thinking... There was one insistant person that HAD to hear The Leper Affinity, so he got it.

I half expect there to be several requests this coming week for Nuclear Assault's "Hang The Pope".

I think there must be a rock night in just about every town in England (although I am told that Bedford is beyond help by one of my best friends). They are a great way to get out and hear old favourites whilst being exposed to new music.

Most of the ones in my town have failed due to lack of interest, but mine is still going strong into its fifth year. Do you think that this kind of thing will be a casualty of the internet generation being reluctant to leave their homes?

I would welcome opinions, I am a fan and supporter of other nights as well as running one...

Cheers,

A.

Yeah, I go to rock nights at the Harlequin in Redhill, Surrey. It's mostly metalcore/emo crap unfortunately as far as the local bands go, the only big names that play here are Fony and Stampin' Ground sometimes. I've not seen many extreme metal fans there, mostly nu-metal/metalcore kiddies really :erk:

There are 2 very good nights in nottingham

1. Damage Inc at Rock City - Usually 2nd or 3rd thursday of every month. Plays metal with a bit of nu metal thrown in (but what can you do?)

2. Full Metal Racket at Spiders - Last thursday of every month, pure metal. Nothing else... Black, Death, Power, Doom, Thrash, NWOBHM... anything. They played Godhead's Lament last month.

Very interesting Alex.
If I had the money to a have a ' metal bar' as yours, I'd be more than happy.
The thing is here, in my province, there aren't many people who listens to metal, so to speak.
I also go to shows. I support the metal scene here going to different concerts such as, metal, grunge, progressive ones, and so on.
So congrats for that!!
Cheers :kickass:

Luz said:
Very interesting
If I had the money to a have a ' metal bar' as yours, I'd be more than happy.
Cheers :kickass:

I wish I had the money to own one as well, unfortunately I only supply the music (and decks & soundsystem if there aren't any at a particular venue).

Study Abroad: full year acceptance. i'm going to be at City University in London, but the night is mine and one of my goals is to go to these kinds of things.

There are a few heavy bars in Helsinki that I often go to. In the last 6 months the amount has doubled for some reason. I guess that bar owners have noticed that Finland has hell of a lot of metalheads, who of course enjoy spending a lot of money on beer in bars that play metal music. I'm excited to go check out a new place that's owned by the head promoter of Tuska Open Air Metal Fest. I've been heard good things about it.

Silent Song said:
Study Abroad: full year acceptance. i'm going to be at City University in London, but the night is mine and one of my goals is to go to these kinds of things.

theres the electric ballroom in camden, but it wasnt that great when i went. It was ok, very mainstream though. Theres a pub called the Marlborough Head which has a rocknight on saturdays i think.. I dont know much about london's scene, but Camden is usually where its at.

Alternativley, come to Nottingham (3 hrs by bus) and have some METAL \m/!