Metal Clubs and Rock Nights

i think the club scene in the u.s. is a lot different than over the pond...probably having to do with the drinking age difference. it should be 18 here, but what do you expect from a country founded and run by a bunch of puritans.

i want to check out lucifer's hammer in san fran this summer, apparently it's the last place in town to see real metal

I never realised it was so regional...

When in London, pick up a copy of Terrorizer and look in the back for details of clubs or gigs. If you see nothing that takes your fancy, walk by a gig that seems closest to your type of thing and hang around outside about the time that the doors open... you will come away with a pocket FULL of fliers for Metal, rock, alternative nights all over London.

I personally hate London, too many people. There is something going on somewhere all the time though.

So you guys in the US, is there just not the demand for this kind of thing? Is it down to age?

Furthermore, you mean we have SOMETHING you don't...?!

AlexGuinness said:
I have been exposed to all sorts of new bands by going to club nights, supporting the local scene, etc.

If you lived in NY, you'd know of the AMAZING metal scene we have.

It's all hip hop shit where I live. Have to go out to Lancaster so I've heard if you wanna hear good music.

AlexGuinness said:

When in London, pick up a copy of Terrorizer and look in the back for details of clubs or gigs. If you see nothing that takes your fancy, walk by a gig that seems closest to your type of thing and hang around outside about the time that the doors open... you will come away with a pocket FULL of fliers for Metal, rock, alternative nights all over London.

I personally hate London, too many people. There is something going on somewhere all the time though.

So you guys in the US, is there just not the demand for this kind of thing? Is it down to age?

Furthermore, you mean we have SOMETHING you don't...?!
No, hardly any rock scene over here. Just check the US bill board top 10 or 40 and you'll see what's big here. :yuk:

shark22 said:
No, hardly any rock scene over here. Just check the US bill board top 10 or 40 and you'll see what's big here. :yuk:

Yes, but the days of me knowing who is in the charts here is at least 10 years ago.

I have a fairly diverse taste in music, but some of the shite that we have must be the same shite as you have. Surely?

Apart from you did not want Robbie Williams.

AlexGuinness said:

awesome, thanks for the tip

that sounds really cool, but from most responses seems like its a european centralised thing, ive never heard of something like that here in New Zealand, the only thing remotely like that is the Rocky Cola bar in my city, which is pretty average, they seem to have Disturbed's "the Sickness" album on repeat playing all night, nothing more than nu metal it would seem, ill hafta visit one of these places on my European OE :D

yeh fucking hate the emo fags :/

anyway, you might blame the high drinking age on puritans, but then you have retarded stuff like making handguns legal and stuff. I mean, look at this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4415135.stm

On a related note, a pub let me and my friend DJ for 45 mins. they might not ever let us back again... we played

Iron Maiden - Futureal (Live)
Orphaned Land - Birth Of The Three
Ayreon - Pain
Sirenia - Lethargica
Arcturus - Alone
Tristania - Equilibrium
Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven
Novembre - Flower
Opeth - Bleak

noone in the pub seemed to have a clue what any of it was. It was hilarious.

shark22 said:
It's all hip hop shit where I live. Have to go out to Lancaster so I've heard if you wanna hear good music.

Yup, that's what it's like here. Fuck, I wish I lived in Florida...

Well except for the recent fact that I am more likely to get shot than where I live now, which I guess is saying something...

ChrisEmerson said:
yeh fucking hate the emo fags :/

anyway, you might blame the high drinking age on puritans, but then you have retarded stuff like making handguns legal and stuff. I mean, look at this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4415135.stm

On a related note, a pub let me and my friend DJ for 45 mins. they might not ever let us back again... we played

Iron Maiden - Futureal (Live)
Orphaned Land - Birth Of The Three
Ayreon - Pain
Sirenia - Lethargica
Arcturus - Alone
Tristania - Equilibrium
Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven
Novembre - Flower
Opeth - Bleak

noone in the pub seemed to have a clue what any of it was. It was hilarious.
YOU PLAYED BLEAK!!!!!!!!!! Check out the other thread!! I guess the question of the fan favorite is solved. :D

There is a really small rock night in my town (venue capacity is only like 80 or something) that is run by the owner of the local metal record shop, he does it once a month. Yesterday he asked me to DJ his next night, but there is only one stipulation...

Apparently the most commercial sounding stuff that is to be played is a bit of Arch Enemy or Children of Bodom...

Oh my fucking god... I have always wanted to do an extreme metal night, but am not prepared to do it unless it is in the right venue and to the right crowd. I am going to do this one for free because it has been an ambition for years. I cannot fucking wait!

AlexGuinness said:
There is a really small rock night in my town (venue capacity is only like 80 or something) that is run by the owner of the local metal record shop, he does it once a month. Yesterday he asked me to DJ his next night, but there is only one stipulation...

Apparently the most commercial sounding stuff that is to be played is a bit of Arch Enemy or Children of Bodom...

Oh my fucking god... I have always wanted to do an extreme metal night, but am not prepared to do it unless it is in the right venue and to the right crowd. I am going to do this one for free because it has been an ambition for years. I cannot fucking wait!

can you send me details of this? i might be able to get a few people to come along if you are in need of an audience...

heh,
well, yeah, we need it...
there's live metal, but no club/dj sort of thing...
which is ok, i guess...
that night i refered to (helvete boston) is now actually dead. and it was sort of heavy into the black metal stuff that i'm not too keen on...looked ta the set lists but never went...
but i've been to some live shows... hit or miss, mainly miss, but it's fun anyway.