Metal Fender Statocaster (Help!)

RockGuitarX

Miles of Machines
Sep 14, 2008
SA Texas, USA
OK so I have a Gibson Explorer on layaway but I can still switch guitars at any time at my local music shop. :) After reading many reviews on that Gibson 1984 Explorer reissue, I've read so many negative things that it's not even funny. Gibson supposedly did a really poor job with the overall guitar so now I'm "searching" again. So my question if I were to replace the humbucker and single coil pickups in this American Standard Fender would it be good for de-tuned metal? Anyone have any experience with this issue?

FenderAmericanStandardStatocaster.jpg

Any other suggestions for a good metal guitar? I'm not very interested in Schecter, Ibanez. Looking for something without a Floyd Rose, Maple or Ebony fretboard and in the $1000 - $1500 range. Thanks!

Strats just don't really do it for metal in my experience. I've personally owned 3, and over the course of the last 2 years played probably 20 others extensively (my Dad buys and sells them). The nature of a Strat is far too bright and airy for metal. Nearly all are Alder/Maple mix and the bodies themselves are heavily routed back and front leaving very little wood to provide any chunk. Now you may be reading this and thinking 'my Loomis sig works fine with an Ash/Maple combo', well Strats just don't. I've even owned a proper Metal Strat (Floyd, twin Humbuckers etc) and it was cock compared to any of my later guitars.

My advice, if you want an Explorer (me too) then look at some of the 80's Japanese replica's. Burny and Greco did some awesome work back then. Taking into consideration 20 years (minimum) of aging and that wood is going to sound sweet. My 84 Greco Les Paul sounds absolutely stunning, and my Schecter sounds puny next to it. Throw in a new bridge pup and you are set.

Strats just don't really do it for metal in my experience. I've personally owned 3, and over the course of the last 2 years played probably 20 others extensively (my Dad buys and sells them). The nature of a Strat is far too bright and airy for metal. Nearly all are Alder/Maple mix and the bodies themselves are heavily routed back and front leaving very little wood to provide any chunk. Now you may be reading this and thinking 'my Loomis sig works fine with an Ash/Maple combo', well Strats just don't. I've even owned a proper Metal Strat (Floyd, twin Humbuckers etc) and it was cock compared to any of my later guitars.

My advice, if you want an Explorer (me too) then look at some of the 80's Japanese replica's. Burny and Greco did some awesome work back then. Taking into consideration 20 years (minimum) of aging and that wood is going to sound sweet. My 84 Greco Les Paul sounds absolutely stunning, and my Schecter sounds puny next to it. Throw in a new bridge pup and you are set.

Hey thanks for your help. It just seems like it's hard to find a all around guitar that suits my style. I'm highly considering customizing a guitar! Thanks again for the input that helped clear up things seeing how I've never tried a strat on a metal amp or with metal pickups.

Metaltastic, I would consider one but I'm trying to buy locally so I can inspect my instrument before I buy. Too much bad internet/shipping problems on expensive gear.

I know I said no Ibanez but this one catches my eye... Just wondering why it costs $1600???
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RGA321F

I'm pretty much looking to dump my Les Paul and get a new main guitar... After playing the Schecter Loomis I noticed how much different and better my leads were. I'm looking for Non-Tremelo 6 string super strat. :)

I hear ya on the inspection part, but I've heard nothing but great things about Carvin - my dream axe of theirs is a CT6, HOT DAMN.

And as for that Ibanez, check my sig ;) One thing to mention about it, though, is that IMO the bridge on it is too close to the body; I anchor my pinky under the bridge pickup when I play (Petrucci-style), so normally on other guitars (including those with Floyds), when I pick on the high strings my other fingers pass over my pinky, but with that they would always knock into one another. However, I had my local tech put a shit in the neck joint so the bridge could be raised while preserving a good action - I'm picking it up this week, and will report on the results!

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA, just read that I wrote "shit" instead of "shim," but I'm not gonna change it :lol:

there is also the RGA 121 , which is mainly a Rg1570 wth a stop tailbar :)
kick ass feeling !

btw: I read some very good stuff about the LTD FX260 NS
(didn't get it into my own hands though. )
Maybe try the Ibanez Warrior Replica , also good guitar (well I only played the 7 string version)

I hear ya on the inspection part, but I've heard nothing but great things about Carvin - my dream axe of theirs is a CT6, HOT DAMN.

And as for that Ibanez, check my sig ;) One thing to mention about it, though, is that IMO the bridge on it is too close to the body; I anchor my pinky under the bridge pickup when I play (Petrucci-style), so normally on other guitars (including those with Floyds), when I pick on the high strings my other fingers pass over my pinky, but with that they would always knock into one another. However, I had my local tech put a shit in the neck joint so the bridge could be raised while preserving a good action - I'm picking it up this week, and will report on the results!

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHA, just read that I wrote "shit" instead of "shim," but I'm not gonna change it :lol:

Damn, I checked out your myspace and that Blue Ibanez makes my mouth water... NICE... BTW good luck with getting your "shit" installed! Report updates on that ebay bitch too... I feel for ya on that shit!

there is also the RGA 121 , which is mainly a Rg1570 wth a stop tailbar :)
kick ass feeling !

btw: I read some very good stuff about the LTD FX260 NS
(didn't get it into my own hands though. )
Maybe try the Ibanez Warrior Replica , also good guitar (well I only played the 7 string version)

I don't have any ESP/LTD dealers around here.. Well there's one but he charges list price for all his shit and hounds you like a car salesman! I stay away from there lol.. I 'll have to see if I can find that Ibanez model. Thanks!

Dude, you won't be disappointed with a Carvin, lol.

Besides that, if you get a Strat and try to outfit it for metal I'll do my best to petition and get you banned from here.

ESP Eclipse-II (roughly $1600 most anywhere, retail)
newguitarpics_1627.jpg

WANT.

~006

On the topic of Pauls, I've honestly decided I can't take the single-cutaway body style anymore - after years of faithful service from my EC-400, it's time for it to go, cuz both the shallow lower cutaway and the lack of an upper one impeding my thumb are just too much for all the soloing I do.

On the topic of Pauls, I've honestly decided I can't take the single-cutaway body style anymore - after years of faithful service from my EC-400, it's time for it to go, cuz both the shallow lower cutaway and the lack of an upper one impeding my thumb are just too much for all the soloing I do.

I've got the exact same problem! i've got an ec-1000 and i just sucks trying to do solos on the highest frets, and the problem is worse trying to play something standing up.

LMAO... thanks 006 I might need to banned for that one.. Ya Les Pauls sound so damn amazing but the single cut away is exactly why I need a new main axe... the Les Paul just doesn't cut it when you do a lot of leads. :/

I posted this in another thread. I have this guitar on layaway right now but I'm gonna have to inspect it again due to all the complaints I've been reading on this model. (Only 400 made) Plus I might be looking for something a little different. So many damn choices.... :loco:
Gibson84Explorer.jpg

That's good for him man.. I play leads on mine all the time considering it's my main axe! So does Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, etc. I've owned mine for about 5 years now and after playing other double cutaway guitars, it's just so much more comfortable in the high fret range. That's all I'm saying ;)

FYI you can order a Carvin, and if you don't like it they take it back no questions asked. That's why you see them selling so many already built guitars on their site.

The Strat's fine as-is. Swap the pickups only if there's something you know you'll like better. Unless it's a big hollowbody that'll feed back under any gain at stage volume or a 12-string Rickenbacker or the like, there's nothing preventing any guitar from "doing metal". In fact, this is a Strat into a Mesa Stiletto. With single coils. (Pardon the shitty recording!) :lol:

If you like how it plays and like how it sounds (or how it'll sound if you put pickups more to your preference in there), use it.

...and my Strat has more bottom than my EC1000. o_O