Metal Girls....

I usually don't even bother with those who like R&B, Pop, and this modern rock shit...In most cases you can hear their brains rattle as they run...Metal chicks have a great advantage over all, but punk ( and I mean older punk, not bands like Blink182) chicks are OK too...

I wouldn't judge a person based on their musical preference.

Appealing in what sense - because they listen to metal music, or are you speaking of a "look". Based on just the facts you gave, I would find her more interesting to talk to because of her musical preference, but in no way would it mean any more until I really knew the person.

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn
It's funny, actually, how many times so many people have said in some often more vague phrasing in one way or another on this forum (including myself) that they feel a kinship with their metalhead bretheren, with fellow Opethians, and how people who listen to this type of music are generally more open-minded, intelligent, in touch with their emotions, blah, blah, blah... but when it comes to the simple notion of "girls who listen to metal" being a point of attractivity, all of our own pseudo-generalizations fly out the window. Aren't these major characteristics you'd look for in a significant other? These are important aspects of one's personality, yet all of these connections we've drawn to people who tend to listen to certain types of music are forgotten in this regard, maybe even, as some have said, detrimental. Why do you think that is?

I think when people have said how great the people on this board are, it's because these are OPETH fans. I would never say that metal fans in the broad sense are cooler than other groups. In fact, they're just as guilty of being a big cliche as other annoying groups (teeny-boppers, mallmetal fans, etc) that feel a need to all look the same in order to be validated. I think this is the main reason people seem to be turned off by goth chicks -- they stand out as a collective group who all dress the same and have the same teen angst bullshit going on.

And I also can't stand people who love all metal simply because it's called metal. People will throw together bands of wildly different skill levels and sweat both of them, based solely on the fact that they're in a certain genre. This is like when people say they like classical music "like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin." Comparing Bach to Chopin is like comparing N'Sync to Opeth because they're both modern bands. Ridiculous.

Opeth is one of the few metal bands (bands in general, for that matter) that I truly respect. So, a boyfriend would have to respect Opeth as opposed to just metal in general (and luckily he definitely does). :) LOL

thanks everyone for your responses! i was just curious on this subject matter.....and xtoklon....im swedish and ive grown up with authentic food, but can't really cook a lick of it....=(

For me, it all depends. If a female is into metal because she TRULY loves it, then I find that very appealing. It's always a good thing in a relationship to have things in common with one another. And since music is one of the biggest things in my life, that makes it even more special. However, in my experiences, most girls into metal have "issues". Often, they're only trying to fit in with a crowd or they are trying to be rebellious. And unfortunately for many of these girls being a part of the metal scene only leads them further down the wrong path (drugs, pregnancy, etc.). I'm not trying to generalize here, these are just my personal observations when I was younger. Nowadays, at least where I live, metal is not popular. Young girls with this kind of mindset tend to gravitate more to hip hop and rap, which by the way I find extremely unattractive for a female to like. I'm 26, and whenever I find a girl into metal that is of a more mature age, now you're talkin' major turn-on! My wife isn't really into metal. She listens to more country and poppy-type of stuff, which is fine. I often wish she was more into metal, but really it's not a big issue. She's just not nearly as much of a musical person as I am, hence the reason she gravitates more to less complex genres.

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

I just want to say how happy I am that there are girls out there who like Opeth as much as I do....Lina, Gwen, I praise you!

I think definitely if you're with someone who likes similar music to you that is a good thing. I dunno, but I seem to find guys who like metal alot more appealing. I guess it's the same for guys with girls too.
The only bad thing is for guys I think is that there are alot less females into metal. (Of course, this works to a girls' advantage :) )
Call me narrow-minded, but I couldn't go out with a guy seriously if he didnt at least respect metal ...and I'd rather he listened to it too.

Why is it do you think that more males seem to like metal than females? I've always wondered why.

And with what Soul Forlorn sort of touched on, I'd hope most people don't think that all girls who are into metal are on the verge of suicide, taking drugs and what-not. Most girls I have known who like metal (and there aren't many) are pretty nice, dare I say pleasant people :)

Gotta say my say here. First of all, and I know this will be a rare opinion on this topic, but I'm sorry, Opeth sucks ass. I can't think of a more horrendous band and it's no wonder heavy metal has a bad reputation among non-listeners when shit like this exists. Second, I think it's cool if a lady wants to jam metal, but it isn't necessary for a relationship. Just as long as she doesn't listen to cock-rock like Winger and Warrant. Cool site and I'll be back latta.

OK now that I stopped laughing...why don't you like them Dfnse? I don't mind at all if someone doesn't like them, I'm just curious as to what it is about Opeth that you don't like. I think this could be pretty interesting.

Hey Kem. I gotta laugh my ass off at bands like Opeth and Emperor and shit because they are simply ridiculous. I'm not sure what Opeth looks like, but I can imagine they are all dressed up in Satanic bullshit, and painted up like the models for Cover Girl. Though they are talented at what they do (yes, I've heard 'em before), I think their creativity is severely lacking. Plus, when they tune down so damn low (do they play in A or B??), it loses a shitload of heaviness right there. They should consult Dimebag for about 10 years to learn what to write. Plus, when you have to check out a record insert to figure out what the dude is saying, that adds to the multitude of problems inhibiting this band. You want something truly heavy? Dig up an Exhorder record and you'll see what I mean. As far as women go, most women think if you actually know Metallica covered Budgie's Breadfan, that you are a freak and shouldn't be messed with. I'm sorry, but I would never want to be some poster boy freakshow wearing Tommy Gear and Fubu, and acting like I'm "fly" or some shit. Later--

Joking? I don't think so. You tell me what's lyrically better--I'm born again with snake's eyes, becoming God-size...(Pantera-Becoming) or this shit--I don't want to hurt you, I just want to kill you (Cannibal Corpse--Bleeding album). Of course, you're probably someone in love with the same shit I slagged above.

Hey questions are cool with me. Maybe I'm the dickhead since I'm in the Opeth thread. I'm not on here to start shit, but just to express my opinions and maybe find some people who like what I like. Hey, to each their own. Latta

Hey Dfense. You are brave, aren't you? I'd like to welcome you to the Opeth forum. No, the fact that you don't like the band doesn't really matter (although it won't help you) but I'd like to point out that we tend to have a way of discussing things here - when we make points, we calmy back them up. And, since you've failed to do this thus far, I'm going to have to proverbially tear some of your statements to shreds.

It's interesting to me that you put Opeth, Emperor, and Cannibal Corpse on one side of the line of "quality" of music and apparently put Pantera on the other, despite the fact the musical similarity of Opeth and Cannibal Corpse is distant, at best. Do you play guitar? If you think Opeth shouldn't "tune down so damn low" and need lessons from Dimebag, then it's apparent you don't. I'm going to have to clear a few things up now, get some facts straight, and defend the "band of the forum" for a sec, if I may...

Opeth aren't satanic, and don't wear makeup or costumes. If you'd like visual proof on this, I've attached a promo photo. Secondly, Opeth don't tune down at all. Ever. All of their songs are in standard tuning (EADGBE). Dimebag, on the other hand, does tune his guitar down often. Let's get this straight. Secondly, on the comment "consult Dimebag for about 10 years to learn what to write" there are also some things you're not understanding. The main riff of "Walk" involves one string, two frets, one finger, and a little slide motion. Opeth's compostions are, on average, far and away more complex than the simple powerchord-based riffs of Pantera. Claiming that Mikael Akerfeldt could take lessons in musical composition from Dimebag is on par with saying that Stephen Hawking needs lessons in quantum physics from Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. As for the notion of the creativity of Opeth lacking, I ask you to name for me one other band that sounds like Opeth that they've apparently been stealing from if they're lacking creativity. Finally, Opeth aren't in a heaviness contest, they like making challenging and emotional music with range and depth. Apparently you don't get that, but that's okay. Also, I ask you to clarify which "multitude of problems" you're referring to, and in what context they detract from Opeth's musical quality.

Finally, presuming whom Kem may be in love with as it pertains to Cannibal Corpse's lyrics only causes you to lose the "benefit of a doubt" credibility you had when you came in here. It's really not necessary.

Have a lovely day,
HoserHellspawn