Metal Girls....

I have to agree with Kem here - most of the females I have met who were into metal were far more intelligent, interesting and open minded than the majority of women I have met who were into other forms of music. None of them had any problems with depression or issues, well at least no more than most people.

I want to throw something in on this whole fun conversation I seem to have missed while sleeping..

To Dfnse:

In defense of Opeth (obviously), I'll say that their lyrics are easier to understand sans-booklet than say.. Pantera's Trendkill album. YOU try to figure out two vocalists at the same time without a booklet.

I've got to counter Hoser on this one. Opeth tunes down for ONE song. Demon of the Fall is in Drop-D tuning. That's 1 song out of over 30 released. If you know statistics, that's not considered significant. Meanwhile, "Becoming" by Pantera, is, I believe in D-flat tuning. Drop or otherwise, it's lower than Opeth has ever played.

In terms of makeup and appearance, we've cleared up the fact that Opeth doesn't look the way you think they do. Have you ever seen old pictures of Pantera? BEFORE Cowboys From Hell? In the Power Metal days? I'll take white-face (haggard grin..) and fake blood over big-hair-glam-makeup. Look for some old pictures, you'll see what I mean.

Please LISTEN to some Opeth before you slag it. I've listened to a fair bit of Pantera, and I do like some of it, so don't assume I'm just countering to get back. Research before you put your foot in your mouth, basically.

And this isn't just an Opeth thread, it's a whole damn forum. :heh:

I know people proved the fool wrong already but im gonna go through it step by step

I'm not sure what Opeth looks like, but I can imagine they are all dressed up in Satanic bullshit, and painted up like the models for Cover Girl.-------yes sure if you consider wearing dull clothes and no makeup looks like cover girl...

Though they are talented at what they do (yes, I've heard 'em before), I think their creativity is severely lacking. --------- Creativity is lacking? Who did they copy or who else sounds like them that they copied? You are putting them in the same sentence as cannibal corpse.... thats just ridiculous... especially lyrically... i will kill you? I dont think so... try reading the lyrics

Plus, when they tune down so damn low (do they play in A or B??), it loses a shitload of heaviness right there. ------- First of all..... it doesnt lose heaviness by tuning down... it gains heaviness.. second of all.... they dont tune down they play at a tuning where you can hear every note played distinctly.... and emperor doesnt tune down either (maybe a little i dont think so though)

They should consult Dimebag for about 10 years to learn what to write. ------ no really dimebag should consult them for 10 years and learn how to write acoustic passages.... gimme a break

Plus, when you have to check out a record insert to figure out what the dude is saying, that adds to the multitude of problems inhibiting this band. ------ half the opeth lyrics i know were from listening to the songs not reading the booklets.... and i doubt you can listen to all pantera songs without reading the bookltes to figure out the lyrics.... every band has lyrics included in the booklet bro.. where the hell are you living?

You want something truly heavy? Dig up an Exhorder record and you'll see what I mean. --------- what the hell am i supposed to say about this... i like exhorder.... slaughter in the vatican... that cd rules... hey wait a second... werent you just talking about how cannibal corpse's lyrics were about killing and such.... well what the fuck exhorders cd name is slaughter in the vatican... get a brain man...

Originally posted by Kem Most girls I have known who like metal (and there aren't many) are pretty nice, dare I say pleasant people :)
DARE, DARE! I'm wicked nice. Definitely pleasant. Until you do something totally idiotic and don't admit it's TOTALLY IDIOTIC...DFNSE!!

I feel...almost gratitude when I meet Opethians. I just look at them like, "You've seen the light too!" Oh, on my CD player, you can set a "music type" option and press random for those selected CD's only, but you have to pick one of it's preset music type titles. I chose "Spoken Word" because I was feeling a little silly at the time and I said to myself "Speak The Word!" and...started rolling. I thought it was so funny/perfect.

I met my b/f in a billiards room. The first things we discussed (and sparked one of the first interest) was the jukebox. We agreed it was one of the best metal selections we've ever seen in a jukebox. He was way into metal. I was just starting to discover underground metal when I met him, but now my passion for music has pretty much superceded his...BIG TIME. We'll be talking about music, and I'll stop for a minute to think about it, and he'll say something finally, but it's about TV or what we should have for dinner! I can't get him to talk about metal too long. He's just not that interested. I think there even may be some jealousy there that I love Opeth so much. The inhumanity of it all!! UGH!! But, that could just be me...but, I'm usually pretty good at picking up on those silent signals.

:p ANYWAYS...um, oh right. As soon as that DFNSE dude said, "Clown makeup and Goth/black clothes." or whatever, I knew he was just wasting time on this bored. Comes in here with Pantera for backup. :lol:

LYNN

I didn't really finish reading this entire page, I was to shocked by what this DFNSE person said.....Dude I don't know if you are joking or not, I really hope you are, because if you are not, there is so much shit that I would like to say to you right now, I cold probably get arrested for it..... I don't know where to start... OK I'm gonna quote my friend Chris here and say "Go fuck yourself in the ass with a rusty dildo" you fucking fuck.... I really hope you die soon..... I hope Emperor finds you and sacrifices you to Satan.... If I knew where you lived I would hunt you down and kill you myself..... But you don't deserve the effort that would require... You are worthless, pitiful....You probably can't even wipe your own ass..... I live at 24 Beaver Ave.. Annandale, NJ stop by sometime so you can SUCK MY DICK

To DFNSE

What the f*ck are you saying DFNSE if you don´t know who Opeth is than don´t tell us this bullshit.
(opeth would be satanic???) please what are you doing here man? Go to a B.Spears or a Backstreet Boys forum where you belong. I looks like you don´t know anything about this music, maybe your this person who likes to be negative and lauch with everything you hate,...that´s really sad. I can understand that you don´t like it but to say all this nonsense,...this is a great message board the only sad thing is that your on it!!!

:(

I felt the need to point out one thing.
Opeth sucks ass. I can't think of a more horrendous band
Though they are talented at what they do (yes, I've heard 'em before)

So the most horrendous band that you can think of is talented at what they do? Furthermore, they are talented but suck ass? Opeth must be quite skilled to achieve this.

Enough with the troll who doesn't get enough attention from his mommy so he has to come here to feel special.
I am a woman into metal and I like men who are into metal but for some reason, the only men who bother to approach me are usually just regular guys (not interested...). I have lots of male friends that I hang out with and talk about music, but the men in my local scene NEVER hit on me (unless they are drunk enough to have the balls to do it). That has led me to wonder whether or not there are any metal guys out there attracted to strong, smart women who are diehard metalheads. Even with there being more men than women in the metal scene, it seems to me that a lot of men go for women who aren't really interested in metal, but who are in it to hook up with someone who is 'evil' or cause rock n' roll is trendy. Then guys get so fed up with all of the superficial chicks they've bothered with that they think that I'm the same way. I love metal and will until I die, but I do know that there is more to life than that. It would be nice to be able to hang out with someone who is not only fuckin brutal but also is intelligent (and those are few and far between).

Though I'm just relying on my ear at the moment ( I've never picked up my guitar to play along to this particular tune), I'm pretty sure "Blackwater Park" (the song, not the cd) is also in drop D tuning. I've never thought it was appropiate to attack a band for using lowered tuning. What matters is whether or not they continually play in that lower range, like so many nu-metal bands do, which I find utterly boring. If the guitarist still uses the entire scope of the fretboard, whether or not he/she is in lowered tuning matters not. Take My Dying Bride, for example. What I find extremely hilarious is seeing some of these nu-metal guitarists with only like 3 or 4 strings on their guitars! What a joke!

www.mp3.com/soulforlorn

Originally posted by Triste
That has led me to wonder whether or not there are any metal guys out there attracted to strong, smart women who are diehard metalheads..... It would be nice to be able to hang out with someone who is not only fuckin brutal but also is intelligent (and those are few and far between).

Strong, smart women who are diehard metalheads are unfortunately in very short supply. If there were more of you around I'd be a happy man!
Ah well I know there are a few out there so I live in hope.... having settled for less on several occasions now I'm determined that I won't do so again, but that certainly narrows the field by to about 1% of the female population :)

are any metal guys out there attracted to strong, smart women who are diehard metalheads.

I am sure there is, but I also know that most diehard metalhead women just put up a wall..and if they are strong and smart, you would never know. I bet most of the guys who do not hit on you have had bad dates in the past with metal girls..and you are going to have to show them you are not like that..

Jo: seeing this thread was about girls I made a comment like that, but I think it could be extended to the metal population in general, including us males. I just think too many a metalhead is a bit wicked, or just of the type I really wouldn't like being in touch with. Then again, I'm not that metal myself, I just listen to some of it, so I might be a bit biased...I'm not really into the metal culture at all..

...and I'm aware of the fact that among metalheads lie some of the most intelligent, interesting persons out there, but sadly they seem to be a minority.

...that is SO fair enough, after all you know who you like, and as you realized, I was joking around :lol: he he he I also enjoy many styles of music, instruments, and am purely searching for music which AROUSES THE SENSES...alas OPETH!!! :) and discovering many other artists who fall under the 'Metal' banner! Enjoy :D

If a girl is into metal, it's more things to talk about. Of course, having similar interests is important to me, because without any, there wouldn't be much to do or talk about together.

Of course, I have many different interests, so if a girl wasn't into metal, I have a handful of other hobbies she could be into. *shrug* Either way, if me and a girl don't have at least *something* in common, I doubt we'd even meet, much less become friends or a couple.