METAL HAMMER GERMANY

sunfall

New Metal Member
Jul 8, 2010
germany
it's in German but very interesting!

Anthrax discuss the setlist. Belladonna, who previously buzzed with headphones through the corridors rejects 'Safe Home' from. He does not want to sing songs from the John Bush era. (Read the interview to the next issue.) Frank Bello and Charlie Benante try to persuade him: The German fans love this piece. But Joey Belladonna is adamant.

Backstage bei den Big 4

12:30 Uhr:

Charlie Benante und Joey Belladonna sitzen, die Koffer zwischen ihren Knien, auf dem Flur eines Gelsenkirchener Hotels. Hinter der Tür zu einem Konferenzraum wird den Journalisten gerade erstmals das neue Anthrax-Album WORSHIP MUSIC vorgespielt, danach stehen Interviews an.

14:15 Uhr:

Ankunft auf Schalke. Gelbe Schilder zeigen, wohin wir uns im Labyrinth der Flure wenden sollen. An jeder Tür steht Security, ohne den entsprechenden Pass in der richtigen Farbe gibt es keinen Zutritt. Die Backstage-Räume von Anthrax und Megadeth liegen nebeneinander, Slayer „wohnen“ in einem extra Gang, Metallica residieren auf einer eigenen Etage.

15:50 Uhr:

Anthrax besprechen die Setliste. Belladonna, der bislang mit Kopfhörern durch die Gänge schwirrte, lehnt ‘Safe Home’ ab. Er möchte keine Songs aus der John Bush-Ära singen. (Lest dazu das Interview im nächsten Heft.) Charlie Benante und Frank Bello versuchen, ihn zu überreden: Die deutschen Fans lieben das Stück. Doch Joey Belladonna bleibt hart.

16:45 Uhr:

Die Atmosphäre ist konzentriert, aber nicht angespannt. Wo sind die Funksender für die Instrumente, funktionieren die In-Ear-Monitore? Jeder bekommt einen winzigen Schluck kanadischen Whisky, dann gehtʼs los Richtung Innenraum. Die Geräuschkulisse der tobenden Fans in der ausverkauften Arena wird mit jedem Schritt lauter. Auf dem Weg zur Bühne überqueren Anthrax ein Stück vom Innenraum. Kameras werden auf sie gerichtet, Fans rufen ihre Namen. „Hast du noch ʼne Zigarette?“, fragt Caggiano an der Treppe zur Bühnenkonstruktion und nimmt dankbar die angebotene Schachtel. Während des Auftritts taucht Sepultura-Bassist Paolo Jr. am Rand auf. Andreas Kisser entdeckt ihn und schickt Handküsse rüber. Auf dem Rückweg bemängelt Caggiano technische Probleme mit seinem Bass. Vor dem Eingang zum Metallica-Backstage steht ein grinsender Robert Trujillo, der Frank Bello und Andreas Kisser abfängt und herzlich umarmt.

BYE THE WAY-SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

BYE THE WAY-SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH

I had to problem reading your "bad English". It was your good German I couldn't read. :D

Anyway, interesting to see that Joey isn't into singing the Bush era stuff. I really don't think he needs to. There's plenty of material to choose from, especially with this new album coming out.

Charlie Benante and Joey Belladonna sit, the case between her knees, on the floor of a Gelsenkirchen hotel. Behind the door to a conference room the new anthrax album WORSHIP is played just for the first time MUSIC journalists, then on interviews.

its good to know, ANTHRAX RECORD IS READY!!! :hotjump:

it's in German but very interesting!

Anthrax discuss the setlist. Belladonna, who previously buzzed with headphones through the corridors rejects 'Safe Home' from. He does not want to sing songs from the John Bush era.

Thank god! "Safe Home" is an alternative pussy ass song that needs to never be played life unless they playing to the same audience that liked The Damned Things.

Keep it Thrash. There are plenty of songs from the Joey era they can plan and plenty of songs from the new album.

Playing "safe home" would just eliminate great songs from some of their classic albums that they haven't played live in 20 years!

Well..no go for SAFE HOME...PHEW

but still hoping for 1000 POINTS OF HATE/ CRUSH..these 2 should fit JOEY well..
puhleeezz Joey...puhleeezzz

Hope his refusal wont start anything bad...

its good to know, ANTHRAX RECORD IS READY!!! :hotjump:

I remeber german Rock Hard Magazine having a full prelistening of Worship Music back in 2009... They even had a release date somewhen in October 09... Then there were rumors of backstage fights... then there was Wacken 2009 cancelled... then there was... ???

So I try to keep my excitement down untill I have this record finally in my hands.

Btw, Rockhard has an interview with Charlie (and a prelistening review of WM) this month. He says they fired Nelson cause he was playing false games by inciting Scott against Charlie, Frank against Scott and so on.

It's good that Joey doesn't want to butcher Safe Home. I wonder how Scott feels though, cos he always labelled this as his favourite song.

I'm glad Joey has the balls to stand up to the rest of the band now. He doesn't want to sing the Bush era stuff, so he told them so.

That still doesn't explain why he's doing Only, but whatever. I'm also sure he'll eventually do another Bush era song sometime down the road.

SAFE HOME Will always reman the sorriest excuse for an anthax song ever....

Yes it's hard to believe it is Anthrax that sings that song. There are many I could say the same thing about from Stomp, Volume 8, and WCFYA that are just as bad. At least Safe Home is a well written song it's just pop rock and not what I want to hear from a legendary thrash metal band.

Safe Home got them some radio play which helped them go from having 100-300 fans to 500 - 600 fans depending on which club they were playing. It was a radio hit for a minute in few cities.

To what Johnnie said about wanting Joey to say something in public about that being a lame song... I think it would be great if Joey went on "That metal sow" and completely went off about how Anthrax went to shit when he left and now they need him. How he is a bird but is the bird that helped make Anthrax a popular Thrash band in the 80's and early 90's.

I'm glad Joey has the balls to stand up to the rest of the band now. He doesn't want to sing the Bush era stuff, so he told them so.

That still doesn't explain why he's doing Only, but whatever. I'm also sure he'll eventually do another Bush era song sometime down the road.

With all of the legendary Anthrax material out there and a new album I am sure he doesn't feel any need to sing John Bush era songs. The amount of fans in the audience that actually want to hear the Bushthrax songs is very small. It just doesn't make any sense.

I'd love to hear at least a few Bush era tunes. 4 records is just too much to ignore. Room For One More, What Doesn't Die, Safe Home (so shoot me) etc would all sit in a 2011 setlist comfortably for mine.

To what Johnnie said about wanting Joey to say something in public about that being a lame song... I think it would be great if Joey went on "That metal sow" and completely went off about how Anthrax went to shit when he left and now they need him. How he is a bird but is the bird that helped make Anthrax a popular Thrash band in the 80's and early 90's.

I agree with you again...for the most part. Joey should say all the music they wrote beween 1992 and 2005 sucks, and he doesn't want to sing it. Karmic retribution for Scott & Charlie....and since they are beholden to him, I would expect....silence. Joey is in the drivers seat for now. It should be an interesting ride....So let's get Joey on "The Metal Sow" and oink his displeasure at singing songs that were from the Bush era.