Metal Machine sounds pretty awesome even without post processing

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011

A quick clip... all I did was change the snare to Ludwig Supra. Probably my favorite snare of all time BTW. :) Just though I'd share what kind of sound you can expect with ZERO post processing skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
eq match? if not what did you use for the guitars?

It fucking does doesn't it! I really love the sound of the Black Beauty with tons of room mixed in and a fair bit of reverb. I'll often find myself needing only to use HP/LP filters to get rid of some un-necessary frequencies when I'm using Metal Machine because that's all it needs. Sometimes I open up another instance of it and just load up the Tempesta snare and paste the snare midi onto that track. The Black Beauty and Tempesta sound lush together :lol:

eq match? if not what did you use for the guitars?

Guitars are my Jim Root Telecaster with PRS HFS/VB pickups. Then it's Overloud TH2 match EQ'd. Other side is Nickelback and the other side is a tone by Mesa4x12er from this forum. Nickelback is more scooped and Mesa 4x12er has juicy mids to a nice blend of "not too much gain" as I would say. :)

But seriously I'm very happy with this product. In the honey moon phase still so take that to account. The Black Beauty and the Supraphonic are almost the same snare right? Those are the two industry standard snares. Can't go wrong with either. :D I don't even play drums but I'm considering buying a Supra for when I'll record stuff for other people. Snare is something post processing can't fix.

I absolutely love MM. It's so easy to just throw it on a stereo track and write, not worry about mixing.

Exactly! I've had these pre-mixed Superior sessions that I've been using and I always had to start with the same session. It was also cool but you don't need to do that with this. Plug'n'play! :p

man i still need this. Such little money for a lot of awesome.

Exactly. This is probably the first EZX set where I like the kicks and don't have to trigger them. The snares are also amazing and it's definitely not limited for metal only.

yep MetalMachine rocks. my "go to". i have MetalFoundry, but honestly never use it. MM just sits better, and I find often when i do start dinking with it in the post i just fuck something up and go back to nothing in the end. i've never heard better hats, btw - foundry included.

Hmm. Sorry, but I don't really agree. Cymbals sound awful to me. Kinda phasy in places too. Snare is machine-gunny as are the toms. I like the kick though.

I own this pack and I used it for a few writing sessions with our drummer, but we dropped it as he didn't like the way it responded to his playing.

Hmm. Sorry, but I don't really agree. Cymbals sound awful to me. Kinda phasy in places too. Snare is machine-gunny as are the toms. I like the kick though.

I own this pack and I used it for a few writing sessions with our drummer, but we dropped it as he didn't like the way it responded to his playing.

+1 on the cymbals, I finally bit the bullet on MM recently and love everything but the cymbals. Probably had more to do with the models they used than the engineering... too clanky for me.

I am loving MM to be honest, at fist I didn't care for the OHs, but they did grow on me. I do add in x-drums for additional splashes as I don't care too much for the one in MM. My one big complain with MM is the crash mutes sound like they where barely tapped when the velocity is set to 127. With TMF, it sounds just like the normal crash @ 127 but then is muted, so I have to X-drum a cymbal for cymbal mutes.

At first I was using 2 main cymbals and the HHs from TMF, but I like coherency of the samples in the OH and room mics, and because they where recording in different environments, don't mesh too well. I might try to go back and tweak with it, becuase I did really like the cymbals and HH in TMF, but as of right now I am pretty content with MM and I prefer using as little X-drums (and sample replacement) as possible for coherence or glue of the whole kit.

One big thing I like about MM is that is is processed, sure, but it isn't overprocessed. It has enough to sit well in a mix as a quick notepad for songwriting without needing to mix it to get an idea of how things will sound, but for serious mixes, you can still add processing to really make it fit in the mix and have its own original sound. Blending/Replacing shells with some Raw samples for sale by fellow sneapster can really let you get an original sound so it doesn't immediately scream MM at you when you hear a mix.

My one big complain with MM is the crash mutes sound like they where barely tapped when the velocity is set to 127. With TMF, it sounds just like the normal crash @ 127 but then is muted, so I have to X-drum a cymbal for cymbal mutes.

Sneap mentioned a while back that they were going to release an update with improved mutes, but they haven't released anything yet. :(

I absolutely love MM. It's so easy to just throw it on a stereo track and write, not worry about mixing.

+1. This is the absolute beauty of it from writing just for yourself (as an engineer) and especially in pre-production. No need to multi-out or anything, haha...

Probably the best EZX for Metal EVER done... IMVHO

Sneap mentioned a while back that they were going to release an update with improved mutes, but they haven't released anything yet. :(

Depending on the sales figures, it could be debatable as to whether it is profitable for them to release said mutes and extra cymbals.:cry: