Metal productions that rival 'The Big 3'

You can have one which resonates the most with you, personally. Hence all the 'IMO' dotted over the first post. I'd basically like suggestions from people that might lead to finding albums I consider on par, if not greater, than the ones listed. I've hit an impasse... I can't find anything that sounds better to me, despite checking out all these suggestions. I've basically got my 'Top 3' reference albums in the metal pile, and can't seem to find any more.

There's room to move on mixing, and room for personal interpretation, so obviously no single mix will ever be the greatest. Though it's worth noting in digital that we only have so much bandwidth, only so far to go. There are only so many frequencies and so many ways they can be represented by a stereo signal, pumping through 2 of our very limited speaker designs. There is definitely a 'top tier' that can be established and hopefully agreed upon by a majority of people (if only the ones that are good with their ears). That's until recording and playback technology inevitably changes and allows for people to craft better mixes than we can now.

I don't think you can have a best Metal production list without anything by Colin Richardson? Carcass, Fear Factory were groundbreaking and his more modern stuff like Chimaira etc. are some of my favorite all time mixes.

Edit: and nothing from Sneap either? The Gathering for a classic and Doomsday Machine for a modern one.

I dunno I can't narrow it down to just 3 or even 5, there's a lot of great mixes IMO and a bunch in my reference library.

The production on the three albums listed above does absolutely nothing for me.

+1 to this (sort of) It's all very subjective, but I just don't care for two of those original "big 3" and don't see what all the fuss is over them. I agree that Clayman is awesome. But I'd have to second others here to add TGE, and also Doomsday Machine. And for a different sound (and I know others won't agree with me), the production on Holographic Universe just totally does it for me.

This thread is too funny. It clearly shows how many here do not seem to know shit about anything.

IMHO, it is only subjective up to a certain point. The thing with Clayman and Stabbing The Drama that NO other metal album comes close to is the lowend/bass (sub)punch. I doubt anyone will praise the guitars on STD because they do not sound good but they work in context. Those 2 clearly crap over any other release in terms of bass presence, at least for Clayman everything is so thick, low, punchy and organic, how can anyone say this is an awful thing? :loco:

That being said I haven't heard any album that could rival those two based on an overall coherent and seamlessly powerful mix. For modern metal!! (Tool :lol:)
If we're talking individual mix elements though (guitars etc) then of course there's a better (e.g.) guitarsound out there but I guess Ermz was talking about the full-fledged impact of the whole mix, am I right?

Oh and I agree on TGCD as having a very, very good production. It is somewhat muddy I guess but in a way it doesn't really cloud the mix if that makes sense, it is just dense sounding. Plus the drums sound awesome, I love that kick and snare! And the OHs! Godly. I don't think this production would work for faster modern metal though.

I cant believe Gojira's 'From Mars To Sirius' hasn't been mentioned. That album is not only mixed extremely well and full from the bottom of the spectrum to the top, but also the writing is amazing and heavier than dinosaur shit.

I'd have to say that old albums, Demanufacture definately sits up there for me...
Miodern I'd have to say whoever did Bloodbaths "The fathomless mastery" deserves a metal medal :)

Angra "Temple of Shadows" is pretty damn awesome sounding. Everything is crystal clear but fat as hell

also I think Lasse already mentioned it but King's X "Dogman" is amazing sounding still

If we're talking individual mix elements though (guitars etc) then of course there's a better (e.g.) guitarsound out there but I guess Ermz was talking about the full-fledged impact of the whole mix, am I right?

Of course! What's the point of good individual elements when they sacrifice the mix as a whole?

TGCD has a good overall sound, no doubt. But to me it really doesn't reach those higher tiers. Nothing really jumps out at me as being outstanding, and there is this way Bogren mixes mids that absolutely gets on my nerves. It's at a point where it pisses me off. I don't know of any other releases that have that level of mid, in those regions, on any other records. It just strikes me as abnormal, and on my very neutral, midrange-full monitors and cans it just sounds muddy.

This thread is too funny. It clearly shows how many here do not seem to know shit about anything.

IMHO, it is only subjective up to a certain point. The thing with Clayman and Stabbing The Drama that NO other metal album comes close to is the lowend/bass (sub)punch. I doubt anyone will praise the guitars on STD because they do not sound good but they work in context. Those 2 clearly crap over any other release in terms of bass presence, at least for Clayman everything is so thick, low, punchy and organic, how can anyone say this is an awful thing? :loco:

That being said I haven't heard any album that could rival those two based on an overall coherent and seamlessly powerful mix. For modern metal!! (Tool :lol:)

Low end punch isn't the only criteria for a great mix. How it can it be an all time greatest mix if the guitars don't sound too good? It's subjective as far as if someone doesn't find it pleasing to listen to they won't think it's a great mix. Analyzing it from a technical perspective is another ball of wax.

Here comes something 99% of people will disagree with:

From Mars To Sirius flat out sucks. Production wise and musically.
The Way Of All Flesh is sickening in every single way though.

And to all the people talking about 10,000 Days, fuck that, Lateralus is where it's at production wise. Also helps that it's a much more timless album ;]

I have a huge soft spot for Converge - Jane Doe, it's not a very nicely produced album, but it's absolutely perfect for the album and totally ignores any conventions of production to enhance the feel and mood of the album, and if people can't tolerate the distorted drums and vocals and the harsh guitars then they don't deserve to listen to it in the first place.
If there's a problem I have with most productions, it's that people are too afraid to stray from the 5150, V30 and SM57 combination.
The most interesting production jobs I've heard, and the ones that end up being my favourites are the ones that have really unconventional production.

But that's just me.

Oh and I agree on TGCD as having a very, very good production. It is somewhat muddy I guess but in a way it doesn't really cloud the mix if that makes sense, it is just dense sounding. Plus the drums sound awesome, I love that kick and snare! And the OHs! Godly. I don't think this production would work for faster modern metal though.

i agree that the mix wouldnt work for faster stuff. part of the reason ive drifted from the more brutal acts in the past few years is that the production for these type of bands is so boring. the more br00tal you go, the more lifeless the mix will be. I love bands like Katatonia and scar symmetry that uses different textures, synths and reverb and delays to enhance the total listening experience. way more interesting IMO. its about the notes you dont play man :Smokedev:

Low end punch isn't the only criteria for a great mix. How it can it be an all time greatest mix if the guitars don't sound too good? It's subjective as far as if someone doesn't find it pleasing to listen to they won't think it's a great mix. Analyzing it from a technical perspective is another ball of wax.

It is annoying when people don't listen or can't read man.
Sorry to come off a bit harsh but I'm tired of re-stating what I've already written. Nowhere do I say anything about that it is the only criteria but it is that criteria that Clayman and Stabbing get better than any other metal record. This fact makes those albums superior in that regard. So far there is no alltime greatest mix including all individual elements sounding superb plus the mix sounding superb. There is a compromise in between, you can't have both. It is this fine line where everything sounds good without too big compromises on one end, such albums shine there.

And I'm not talking about subjectiveness or how pleasing an album sounds by the way. And I think the OP wasn't asking from that perspective either.

It is annoying when people don't listen or can't read man.
Sorry to come off a bit harsh but I'm tired of re-stating what I've already written. Nowhere do I say anything about that it is the only criteria but it is that criteria that Clayman and Stabbing get better than any other metal record. This fact makes those albums superior in that regard. So far there is no alltime greatest mix including all individual elements sounding superb plus the mix sounding superb. There is a compromise in between, you can't have both. It is this fine line where everything sounds good without to big compromises on one end, such albums shine there.

And I'm not talking about subjectiveness or how pleasing an album sounds by the way. And I think the OP wasn't asking from perspective either.

I can read just fine simmer down buddy. :lol: No need to be a dick because you think your opinion is superior. Go on with your bad self.

Sikth - The trees are dead and dried out wait for something wild

Love the production on that one I think colin did it everything just works on that mix anyone with me??