metal rules' top 100 metal albums of all time

That list is ridiculous. Forst of all all ac/dc releases should come out, as they are not metal ... same with van halen and def leppard.

and both skid row releases are there? WTF?

and what is dismember doing there in between all those "giant" releases ???

seasons in the abyss, while a good record is by no means a top 10 contender either

i do agree with MOP as #1 though ...

Wow. I gotta agree. THat is pretty pathetic. ACDC? Motley Crue? Van Halen? Twisted Sister? I thought this was a heavy metal list.

And it is unforgivable to have Metallica as #1, and not have Black Sabbath until #17

And a lot of those are fucking wussy albums.

Hmmm...I wonder how they compiled it? They have a few staff members who are into much more extreme music, of which there was little in the final list. I doubt if it was a consensus.

However, I will say that for the top 10, Puppets, Lightning, Beast, Powerslave, and Reign in Blood are all viable contenders IMO. Particularly Powerslave.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not the worst list I've ever seen. I'll say this, I'm so all for Dismember's Massive Killing Capacity being there.

I'm sure if we each did such a list, each one of us would point to stuff and say, "what the fuck are you thinking?"

Sepultura Arise or at least Benieth The Remains should be on that list, was it a brain fart!?!

What's the criteria for being on the list. Albums sales, change to the metal industry, personal likes etc.

"Holy Diver" higher than any Sabbath? Blah, give me a fucking break. Also, who the fuck decided to put Testament's "Practice what you Preach" higher than "The Legacy," AND to leave out "The New Order" entirely? Blah.

Weapon X said:
Sepultura Arise or at least Benieth The Remains should be on that list, was it a brain fart!?!
BtR was at #60.

What's the criteria for being on the list. Albums sales, change to the metal industry, personal likes etc.
No idea. I think this was just personal preferences amongst 2 or 3 staff members.

The only way to make these lists is to *try* and break it down by genre. Sure, there will still be dispute as to what qualifies, but not as much compared to the inconsistency of that list.

There was no Emperor, Opeth, Bathory, Edge of Sanity, Morbid Angel. OK so not everyone is into them, but their ommission is definitely a reflection of 'personal tastes' being used as selection criteria.

Any top metal list without Black Sabbath in the top spot is questionable.

I will admit that a lot of my more well known favorites are in that list though (Ride the Lightning, Seasons in the Abyss, Rust in Peace, etc.)

By the way, taken from the text under Ride the Lightning:

However, the impact of RIDE THE LIGHTNING was definitely felt with "hits" like "Fade To Black", and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" to lesser hailed (but equally memorable) tracks like "Escape" and "Creeping Death".

"Creeping Death" is 'lesser hailed'? I would consider that to practically be an anthem.

I'm useless with lists...you forget things you have no right to forget, and getting 'em all in the right order can be a bitch. But it's only their opinion, so meh...

Master of Puppets #1? No. Holy Diver #8? No. The latter imo don't have a place in any Top Ten list, while the former certainly isn't #1 material. Judas Priest is good in there, but Screaming For Vengeance? I don't care what you say about it pioneering speed metal or whatever, I still think Sad Wings Of Destiny, Stained Class, British Steel, PAINKILLER...hell, even Turbo got priority over it!

I didn't bother reading past the first 10 cos there's too many :p

At least all (good) MetallicA was included.
There was a program called 'musikbyrån' (the music bureau) on tv last night featuring Metallica, Motörhead, Sepultura, Anthrax, Emperor, Mayhem, Darkthrone and Satyricon. I didn't see it as I didn't know it but I'll have to see the re-run. Probably forgot listing some band(s) too.