metal

ok guys here is my long overdue treatise on heavy metal. basically what it comes down to is that 99.99999999% of it is absolutely terrible, and there are only a few classic bands that are actually worth listening to. so i won't deny that i enjoy some metallica, sabbath, opeth, etc. from time to time. but these people on this forum that basically listen to 100% metal are completely retarded.

ok well obviously if you are a teenager then you are excused for being a little naive, i mean when i was in high school i listened to a lot of metal bands. but the point is I GREW OUT OF IT. i can't even believe these 20-somethings (not to mention 30-somethings and above) that actually still listen to and respect metal like it's some kind of serious music.

this kind of brings me around to a point i have about the music listening habits of the entire world population. that is, people tend to like what they liked when they were teenagers, for their whole lives. we all know the baby boomer parent types that only listen to buffalo springfield and mountain and whatever. in comparison - for many people my age, metal was the music we loved during our formative high school years. and this is fine. every kid is an idiot, and since we are easily swayed by trends and other people's dumb opinions during these years, we usually like shitty music.

the thing is, people like me have learned that there are other worlds of music out there that simply put metal to shame. i simply cannot understand how somebody could be exposed to such extraordinarily mind-expanding musicians as bob dylan, neil young, the rolling stones, john coltrane, j.s. bach, and beethoven, and STILL want to listen to metal. literally the only reason i listen to metal these days is for an occasional dose of nostalgia.

the only conclusion i can draw from this is that people above the age of say, 20, who still list above 50% of their favorite bands as metal bands, are musically stunted. these people do not have the capacity to appreciate music. but naturally they don't realize this about themselves - they think they are the best musical critics they know. and it is impossible to persuade them otherwise - somewhat akin to trying to persuade a fundamentalist mormon that there is no god. nothing you can put into words will have any effect on them whatsoever.

but of course, they will staunchly defend their love of the world's most self-parodic genre. but don't worry - i've heard all the arguments in the book. and here's the thing - i'm someone who has been there and back. i KNOW why people like metal. because i kinda do, in a way. but i've realized that it is nothing more than a fun, kitschy alternative to real music.

thank you for your time.

-wes

One of the most stupid, naive, childish rant ever puked by the Interwebz.

People who tries pathetically to create an objective hierarchy in music are just plain wrong.

They just don't know it.

Thank You Not.

NP : Return to Forever : Returns (2008)

summary:
- if you think that any type of music is objectively better something else, fine, but stop trying to force your elitist opinions on to others. Everyone looks for different things in music.
- people who identify with a certain genre of music, usually get a reputation for being narrow-minded posers, thanks to the minority eg. the 'typical' metalhead being a young, wanna-be rebellious teenager, that listens to nothing but metal, and never gives other music a try.
- i would much rather listen to opeth then bob dylan or the rolling stones!...yet i don't go on bob dylan forums (if there is such a thing) and flaming them for not preferring metal bands.

lol Arasmas just give up even the band knows you're hopeless now since that Godhead's Lament poll where you got personally owned by Mike.

This thread is still going on? What the fuck, people.

For those lagging behind, Arasmas isn't looking for intelligent debate. Every reply that had intelligent counters to his original points were either ignored by him completely, or picked apart for grammar mistakes and straw mans.

I mean, the only replies Arasmas has responded to fully are the weak and easy ones. It's pretty fucking obvious what he's doing.

Why don't you guys just let this thread die? If you continue arguing with him, you're just proving his point, only in a way you might not have thought of.

... and don't give me shit for replying. I've watched this thread go on for over a month without saying a peep, but seeing this thing get to 14 pages is disturbing.