Metallica - ... And Justice For All (10/10)

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
B000002H6C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is Metallica's last great album, and it's also their darkest album. This is pure, epic thrash. It consists of long compositions, both fast and slow, and brooding. "Blackend" starts the album off with some backwards guitar, and sets up the tone of the rest of the album. The track itself is great. The title track is a Metallica classic. It's a 9 minute thrash epic. The famous single "One" starts off kind of like a ballad, but then gets much more thrashier and heavier, and it all leads up to a kick ass solo. The drums sound great in this song, resembling machine gun fire, which works great with the lyrics. "Harvester of Sorrow" is a slower track, but it's a Metallica staple. Another album highlight is "The Frayed Ends of Sanity". Now, a lot of people bitch about the production on this album, but I love the production. It really gives the album a darker feel. The drums sound military, and that also adds to the album. This might just be my favorite Metallica record.

10/10

Track list:

1. Blackened
2. ...And Justice For All
3. Eye Of The Beholder
4. One
5. The Shortest Straw
6. Harvester Of Sorrow
7. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
8. To Live Is To Die
9. Dyers Eve

TBA was good, and Justice would have been utterly amazing had it not been so self-indulgent. Still my fave Met album, though.

It's funny how people pick and choose sides of hypocrisy, AJFA had shitty production, TBA was too slick... WTF?

TBA is a great album, it's just too bad they didn't let loose on the thing, so many songs had such great potential to be face rippers, Of Wolf and Man for one, Don't Tread On Me, Wherever I May Roam, Sad But True... I'd like to see AJFA production on TBA, also the aggression and layers of heavy put back...

AJFA along with master are two of the best metal albums ever imo. Justice is just jam pakced full of awesome riffs, and yeh it is a shame about the lack of bass on it. TBA has great production and has some killer songs but is over shadowed by the shitness, ie/sandam etc

AJFA and RTL are my favorite Metallica albums.

This album has many wicked riffs. Even Lars' drumming on this album is good.

Some of Kirk's solos aren't too good on this album, I think. Like the solo in One. It has that tapping part which is supposed to sound impressive, and goes to hell after that.

Maybe if this album had someone like Marty Friedman then it could be perfect, even with the abscence of bass.

The album doesn't NEED bass. I've heard albums that intentionally have absolutely no GUITAR, and are still excellent.

I get bored of AJFA after a while. Cant hear any fucking bass, hard to listen to. Great album none-the-less, and the peak of Lars's drumming as well.

Why does Paddy have my avatar? You like a bit o' black metal Pad?

AJFA is the best metal album ever, probably. It's fucking perfect in almost every way and is the one and only reason why I was sucked in an paid good money for the shite that is St Anger.
But they'll NEVER recapture what they had on this masterpiece, so they can fuck right off.
Bruv.

challenge_everything said:
My favourite Metallica album. Only weak track is 'Frayed Ends of Sanity'. Whereas on RTL and Puppets and Kill Em All there were always a couple of tracks that I thought were filler.

Funny. I think that's my favorite song off the album, maybe Harvester of Sorrow...

Stormwatch said:
Why does Paddy have my avatar? You like a bit o' black metal Pad?

AJFA is the best metal album ever, probably. It's fucking perfect in almost every way and is the one and only reason why I was sucked in an paid good money for the shite that is St Anger.
But they'll NEVER recapture what they had on this masterpiece, so they can fuck right off.
Bruv.
you whaT JOCK