Metallica and Rick Rubin

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Yep, you read that right. Boy, I can't decide what this means. Rubin is famous for taking artists to their deepest roots (in my opinion), but he also ruined Slayer (in my opinion). Reign in Blood may be great, but I much prefer the deeper/richer production of the Hell Awaits etc.

Anyway, from Blabbermouth:

It's Official: New METALLICA Album To Be Produced By RICK RUBIN - Feb. 16, 2006 As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first hinted on Jan. 6 and then again on Jan. 27, METALLICA have finally confirmed that they are working with producer Rick Rubin (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, SLAYER, SLIPKNOT) on their new studio album.

In a posting on their official web site, METALLICA write, "We just wanted to let our friends know that we have been jamming, writing, just plain messing around and having fun in the studio for the last few weeks.

"Oh, and by the way, this up-and-coming producer guy named Rick something-or-other has been coming by the studio every now and again to listen to some of our new stuff and throw his two/three cents in.

"Since this Rick dude is new to all of this, we thought it would be a nice gesture to help break him into the music business by asking him to produce our next record. We're very happy he said yes! In other words, we are psyched to share with you that Rick Rubin is producing the next METALLICA album! FUCK YEAH!"

Check out pictures of METALLICA and Rick Rubin in the band's rehearsal/recording studio at Metallica.com.

It was as far back as last October that the first rumblings of a METALLICA/Rubin collaboration reached BLABBERMOUTH.NET, and the rumors have been gaining strength ever since. Adding fuel to these reports was the fact that longtime METALLICA producer Bob Rock is scheduled to spend a good portion of 2006 working on the new CD from MÖTLEY CRÜE, which is expected to surface sometime next year.

In a September 2005 interview with the METALLICA fan club magazine So What!, METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich was asked point-blank if Bob Rock's name had been discused for the group's next album.

"I would say that Bob Rock will always be our producer," Ulrich replied. "You know it's almost like default. It's not whether he should produce, it's more whether he shouldn't produce it. So I would expect Bob Rock to produce it unless he's not interested."

In the same interview, Ulrich spoke highly of the most recent albums by SLIPKNOT and SYSTEM OF A DOWN — both of which were produced by Rubin — citing them as particularly inspiring in terms of making him "look forward to paying a little more attention to the sonics" next time around.

METALLICA officially began the songwriting process for their new album late last year and are expected to spend the next few months compiling ideas before entering the final recording stage. A late 2006/early 2007 release via Warner Bros. is expected.

This peaks my interests more about the new album. Rubin will probably talk some sense into these guys. One thing I hope he convinces James of is that he can't sing!!!! Stop that crooning thing that he has been doing for the last few albums.

Finally, away from the evil Rock but its probably all too late now, the damage is well and truely done...

SavaRon said:
One thing I hope he convinces James of is that he can't sing!!!! Stop that crooning thing that he has been doing for the last few albums.

:lol: :lol: :lol: My sentimonies exactly. I'll be buying it no matter what. My wife is a complete Metallihead. Post MOP, of course. Between the two of us we have the entire catalog. :loco:

Jesse Pohjalainen said:
there is no way it can be worse than St.Anger, no-fucking-way

and if by chance it is worse then St. Anger, I am certain the Earth will implode upon itself just to be rid of it and spare all humanity.

ElectricWiz said:
It's Official: New METALLICA Album To Be Produced By RICK RUBIN - Feb. 16, 2006 As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first hinted on Jan. 6 and then again on Jan. 27, METALLICA have finally confirmed that they are working with producer Rick Rubin (SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, SLAYER, SLIPKNOT) on their new studio album.

With that resume they can as well do bungee jumping without ropes. I'm not even in the mood bashing them anymore, I'm moving on.

thank god (or the devil lol jk) they got rid of Bob Rock ... Rick Rubin has done some nice work with Slayer, Danzig etc... anyways i dont think he ruined Slayer at all IMO... Reign in Blood through Seasons in the Abyss are some of their finest work... I still think they should work with Flemming more then anyone else but ill take Rick Rubin over Bob Rock anyday...

It still comes down to the songs they are writing. I don't care who is producing, if the songs are shit all the knob tweaking on the soundboard isn't going to do squat.

Doesnt always have to do with knob tweaking (sexual innuendo? lol ) ... Rick Rubin will tell Lars and James if this song sucks or doesnt and shouldnt be included... Rick Rubin likes more heavier music then commercial ... Bob Cock will go with the most wimpiest (Nothing Else Matters.. even though i like the song but come on they were suppose to be the kings of Thrash) & commercial songs they write...

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Doesnt always have to do with knob tweaking (sexual innuendo? lol ) ... Rick Rubin will tell Lars and James if this song sucks or doesnt and shouldnt be included... Rick Rubin likes more heavier music then commercial ... Bob Cock will go with the most wimpiest (Nothing Else Matters.. even though i like the song but come on they were suppose to be the kings of Thrash) & commercial songs they write...

Isn't Rick Rubin producing the new linkin park album too.......:erk: