Metallica - Death Magnetic ripped!

3Affen_01.jpg

I'm actually digging it for the most part. I wouldn't say DM is awesome but it gets a solid "good" from me! Production is crap but still significantly better than St. Anger. It also confirms how bad Lars really is as a drummer both technically and creatively.

All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss, and Suicide & Redemption are just wow! Sick album. I didn't have the highest hopes after hearing the 3 leaked songs, but now I'm sold. Best album since AJFA.

I'm just not even gonna bother downloading this album, for reasons best expressed by a friend of mine:
I have to admit I’m mostly not seeing the fuss around this new stuff. Yes, it’s better than St. Inker, but then so is being anally violated with an unlubricated pineapple.

I find it intriguing (and a little sad) just how much metallers in general want to love every new Metallica release, and yet the band themselves just keep on shitting all over the deliriously loyal fanbase. It’s been twenty years since they last made a good album. Twenty years. A lot of bands turn out a single duff release and their career is over, and yet here are Metallica, shuffling on into embarrassment a full two decades after they should have imploded under the weight of the turd, and somehow they’re still playing festivals.

I guess there’s just a Metallica-shaped hole in the consciousness of most metallers (I can still remember the charge I got from ramming the Congleton library copy of …And Justice For All into the cassette player and hearing ‘Blackened’ kick in for the first time).

I don't mean to come off like the forum prick here, but although I hear a few decent riffs here and there, for the most part this album sounds like shit, song writing wise IMO. I find it hard to understand these people who are so psyched about this album, maybe I'm hanging on to how Metallica SHOULD have evolved, taking other bands of the same era and how they sound now. I just wish they'd evolved ala Exodus, Testament, etc. And not the way they have presently. It's definitely more in the right area than St Anger, but I still think they have a long way to go, to be a competitive thrash band again.

It's heavier and sounds more alive, but really lacking focus. The riffs aren't very coherent, they actually sound like drunk jams to me. Imagine trying to learn one of these songs - you'd have to decipher or interpret what they "meant" to play amid all the "I give up" pull-offs and weird handling noise. No real vocal melodies to be had either, just some pitched yelling and unmemorable countryesque psuedo-melodies. Out of the whole album there's probably about 2 solid minutes of decent riffage, which is technically greater quantity than their output in the last 10 years combined, so they get an A for effort.

Did they master the album through a tube screamer pedal?

Deleted.

:lol: @ drunk jams... :lol:

One thing that bothers me is the fact that there aren't any real memorable guitar riffs or solos... especially solos! I remember back when I was learning how to play guitar, I could pick up a Metallica book (Ride the lightning, master of puppets, and justice, black album, etc.) and open to any page, and there would be a memorable guitar riff or solo. None of these "drunk jams" were found on previous records (in my opinion). I believe the downfall of Metallica happened when James and Lars couldn't remember and steal any more riffs that Dave Mustaine wrote for them. :heh: Dave should be proud and ecstatic right about now; the tables have turned.

If I were Metallica right about now I would feel intimidated... I mean, bands like Megadeth, Testament, and Exodus have kicked our asses so hard within the past couple of years with some excellent releases!

I'm not hating 100%... the new album is definitely a turn in the right direction. Despite the lack of riffs and this album seeming majority uninspired, it does have its moments. As Shane said, about 2 good minutes of riffage :p

I don't mean to come off like the forum prick here, but although I hear a few decent riffs here and there, for the most part this album sounds like shit, song writing wise IMO. I find it hard to understand these people who are so psyched about this album, maybe I'm hanging on to how Metallica SHOULD have evolved, taking other bands of the same era and how they sound now. I just wish they'd evolved ala Exodus, Testament, etc. And not the way they have presently. It's definitely more in the right area than St Anger, but I still think they have a long way to go, to be a competitive thrash band again.

You're not, I currently feel the same.

Oh I disagree, there are things Hetfield/Ulrich do that no one else can. It's something they do with the backbeat and the way they transition between riffs. It sounds simple once you've heard it yet it's nearly impossible for most people to do. They've been able to do it since day one and they do it better than anyone.

...I want to hate this record but I can't.

From St.anger they are trying to be cool and do what people want them to do.
You can say what you want but the cds before st.anger aren't anything but bad.. i even like a song like mamma said.. atleast its a song!
New stuff is a band with a writersblock trying to write songs, and thats tobad, but hey.. they are still legends!
Maybe its newsteds absence?

Oh I disagree, there are things Hetfield/Ulrich do that no one else can. It's something they do with the backbeat and the way they transition between riffs. It sounds simple once you've heard it yet it's nearly impossible for most people to do. They've been able to do it since day one and they do it better than anyone.

...I want to hate this record but I can't.

I know, that's part of their signature sound but that alone won't help this to be compared with the older stuff.