Metallica news...

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
Lars on the new album:

"I don't like the word 'going back', because I don't like it to get nostalgic. I think we still have enough vitality and relevance… It's not about going back, it's about moving forward, but we're moving forward with a lot of elements of earlier stuff with us. It's almost like… We've done a lot of, what I call 'musical exploration' in the last few years, and I think that by continuing to find something to kind of be excited about, that path took us almost, like, in a circle. So now we're sort of having a lot of fun with playing some really, really fast stuff again. And when I say 'fast,' I mean, like, fast fast. And really aggressive, aggro, a lot of the old starts and stops, and the serious, dynamic changes, and a lot of songs north of seven, eight minutes. So it's not about 'Hey, we're going back, dude,' but it's more about, like… My analogy, which I'm actually getting sick of hearing myself say, is that… It's sort of like that old pair of shoes over in the closet that you haven't worn for a couple of years, but you put those shoes on again, and they just feel really damn good to have on again, and you kind of, when you put them back on, you sort of say, 'Why didn't I put them on earlier?' But you realize that you have to wear all those other pairs of shoes in order to feel comfortable in that pair of shoes again. Playing, like, super-fast is sort of like… We've done 'Battery', we've done 'Damage [Inc.]', we've done 'Blackened'… Maybe there isn't anything else to offer… But 10 years later, it sure seems like there's a lot more to offer in that direction. And basically, the new album is about 70 minutes of that. [laughs] It's not like there's three or four songs and then a couple of ballads. It's basically around 11… somewhere between 10 and 12 songs of just complete aggro, out-of-control earspank, as we call it."

Well he basically just set everyones expectations sky high... He should just shut his mouth sometimes, he really should :D What ive heard from the album so far sounds awesome, but NOTHING like their old stuff... Now im even more excited about it! :headbang:

Well, that does sound awesome indeed, but I think their best move would be to shut up and be tight lipped about it all until the album is out, and just feed off peoples reactions. If it sounds anything like they say it will, they won't need to talk it up to make a success of it.

from Blabbermouth.net

from lars (as usual)

On approaching EMINEM to be part of the Summer Sanitarium 2003 Tour:

"We're all, like, huge EMINEM fans in METALLICA world, and we thought it would just be so cool to try and break down some of those barriers. We spoke to him, and he respectfully and politefully [sic] declined. He was very cool about it. He said, 'Look, thanks a lot, man. Maybe we'll get a chance to do some shit some other time, but I wanna kind of chill this summer.' I think he's playing one show, or something like that, but he didn't wanna do a full tour."

Lars might've said that but I think we should listen to it first before jumping to any conclusions. Personally I think it'll be quite hard for them or anyone else to come up with something better than Master of Puppets, One and those other classics from back in the good old days.

Goreripper said:
...this is where spawn says "I like their new stuff better."

:lol:

:lol: Dont be so silly, their old stuff is way better :D I dont hate their new stuff though, well, not all of it anyway :)

Well expectations here are fucking high so they better get into it. It would sound beetter onstage when Rob gets to bash the bass unlike on the album where james has done it all

More news!

METALLICA's official web site, www.metallica.com, has posted a five-minute interview with frontman James Hetfield in which the singer discusses the songwriting and recording process for their forthcoming album, "St. Anger", due on June 10 through Elektra Records. According to Hetfield, the band have begun the mixing process for the new album and have set aside another three-and-a-half weeks to complete the effort before it is mastered and shipped off to the record company.

"This [album] we're probably the most prepared for [out of all the records we've made so far]," James explained. "Our work is together, the album title, the lyrics are done, [producer] Bob [Rock]''s starting to mix songs. It's coming out in such a relaxed way. Before we were so… It's like we needed to feel the chaos or else it wasn't real. Or we had to punish ourselves by saying, 'That was too easy. Those lyrics came too easy. I need to struggle some more with those just to make them better.' I am so done with that. I'm over that. I know that I can trust our craft and our gift from our higher power that this stuff is just the best that it can be from us right now."

"I'm really looking forward to letting this thing loose," he added. "What an awesome responsibility [to have so many fans anticipating the release of this CD]… And especially now, the way the lyrics are, how really heartfelt they are from all of us, and to have this record start from scratch... No one came in with riff tapes, 'Here I've got a song. This has to go on the record and don't fuck with it,' and all of this ego stuff. For the most part we've checked egos at the door, and tried to keep them out there. So hopefully they leave and go away. And with these riffs just starting from scratch… 'You've got a drum beat? Just lay down a killer beat. Show me what you've got, and just play along with it.' Just feeling it, feeling the power coming from the amp. I mean, I plug in a new amp and write ten new riffs, just really being so open to the freedom. It felt so great to be all on the same page with that . . . It would be impossible [for the fans listening to the album] to not feel that. They might not like the songs, but they might be able to understand the rawness. Bob is afraid to mix [the songs], because he doesn't want to mess with the vibe, or he doesn't want to tweak too much — it's just levels, you know. We can certainly polish a turd (laughs). We can shine it, so it loses its character and flaws and all of its hair and all of its things that make it 'it'.[And it'll be very important for us] to let the songs speak for themselves [and not mess with their raw vibe]."