Ulrich on the new Metallica: "70 min. of fast complete aggro"

lurch70

Sep 27, 2002
NYC
This was taken from cumbubblemouth.com
Originally an interview this weekend with Lars on a Seatlle Radio Station:

On the forthcoming METALLICA album, "St. Anger":

"I don't like the word 'going back', because I don't like it to get nostalgic. I think we still have enough vitality and relevance… It's not about going back, it's about moving forward, but we're moving forward with a lot of elements of earlier stuff with us. It's almost like… We've done a lot of, what I call 'musical exploration' in the last few years, and I think that by continuing to find something to kind of be excited about, that path took us almost, like, in a circle. So now we're sort of having a lot of fun with playing some really, really fast stuff again. And when I say 'fast,' I mean, like, fast fast. And really aggressive, aggro, a lot of the old starts and stops, and the serious, dynamic changes, and a lot of songs north of seven, eight minutes. So it's not about 'Hey, we're going back, dude,' but it's more about, like… My analogy, which I'm actually getting sick of hearing myself say, is that… It's sort of like that old pair of shoes over in the closet that you haven't worn for a couple of years, but you put those shoes on again, and they just feel really damn good to have on again, and you kind of, when you put them back on, you sort of say, 'Why didn't I put them on earlier?' But you realize that you have to wear all those other pairs of shoes in order to feel comfortable in that pair of shoes again. Playing, like, super-fast is sort of like… We've done 'Battery', we've done 'Damage [Inc.]', we've done 'Blackened'… Maybe there isn't anything else to offer… But 10 years later, it sure seems like there's a lot more to offer in that direction. And basically, the new album is about 70 minutes of that. [laughs] It's not like there's three or four songs and then a couple of ballads. It's basically around 11… somewhere between 10 and 12 songs of just complete aggro, out-of-control earspank, as we call it."

I am not sure what to make of this but I am having a hard time believeing this. I mean these guys like Eminem and Linkin Park now ... but I must say he has sparked my interest.

Metallica must have a last breath of life in them somewhere ... we'll see!

"what I call 'musical exploration' in the last few years"

what a load of shit. its got nothing todo with exploration, they havnt paved new roads at all. they are just goin with trends.

exploration my ass
~gR~

He's just trying to sell the album. This is an old, tried-and-true tactic to build hype. I can almost guarantee this entire interview was composed by Metallica's PR agency, and delivered to the radio station in scripted-form.

It's total bullshit. I doubt seriously whether or not Lars can even play that style of music anymore. He's talking out of his ass.........again.

--S

I doubt seriously whether or not Lars can even play that style of music anymore.

THis is true ... his drumming skills are questionable at best. From the last few times I've seen them in vidoes or TV they looked like a cover band doing their own songs.

Battery and Damage,Inc. were not that fast to begin with ... to today's standards. But there is no way they will play any fast songs. Maybe in a "punk" kinda fast ...

I honestly think that Lars is just shooting his mouth off again and having some fun at whatever fans they have left's expense.

Besides, if "aggressive earspank" means Black Album-era pop metal, then...

Either way i'm still looking forward to the new album, and i will always like Metallica. Imma Metallica fan through and through. Flame me if you want to but it won't change a thing.

Lars is one wordy motherfucker. I'll still check it out though, I think they still make decent music. It is true that Lars's's's drumming skills have been seriously lacking over the past decade. Back in '94 when I saw them live he did pretty well though, his drum solo was awesome.

Haha, the "old shoes you put them on again after a few years" analogy = "going back", but in way the fuck too many words. I guess he thought he was being clever or something.

PS: Ulrich would have a heart attack if he tried to play anything even remotely fast. I agree with whoever said he was just shooting his mouth off, trying to get people to buy their new album.

I cannot see the new Metallica album having much to offer.The fast Metallica songs are not actually that fast compared to some Black and Death Metal.If I want long songs I will listen to the likes of Dream Theater,Opeth and Rhapsody,they do it far better.

I was originally, and part of me still is, slightly sceptical like most of you, but... I am almost 100% positive that the song "St. Anger" is on the soundtrack to the movie "Old School." When the song came on during the movie, I couldn't tell if it was old Metallica, Megadeth, or something like Anthrax. It was really fast and sounded like the straight-out-of-the-eighties thrash that Metallica used to play. I didn't realize it was new until I heard them yell "St. Anger" in part of the song, and when I did I got really fucking excited for the new album. We'll see.

He wants to expand the market to metal again
in other words: he needs money from metalheads all around the world,so that's his way of getting you all to buy the new cd

Just for perspective, Metallica said "Load" would be a return to their core sound. And then they said "ReLoad" would be a return to their core sound. It's a tried and true tactic, talk up the new album so that fans disappointed by the last couple albums get a little bit excited about it. You don't have to sell the fans of the new sound, after all, because they'll already want it.

Any true metalhead should completely turn their back on this band. Their touring partners are a complete joke and they've almost completely destroyed their legacy to metal. Yes, the first three albums are still a good listen, but they've spent years since then tearing that apart.

Screw 'em hard, particularly the Danish troll drummer.

SymbolicDeath666 said:
Either way i'm still looking forward to the new album, and i will always like Metallica. Imma Metallica fan through and through. Flame me if you want to but it won't change a thing.

This is not a flame* but two simple (related) questions for all Metallica fanboys.

How do you reconcile your "Metallica fan through and through" stance with the new tour with various crappy Nu-Metal acts?

Do you welcome Metallica becoming Nu-Metal and enjoy listening to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit and the Deftones, try to ignore it and pretend they are still a thrash band, or do you hate all the Nu-Metal acts they tour with but still hold Metallica up as true metal?

*hell, anybody is free to like something. I like some stuff that would get flamed here too.

They said the same thing before Reload came out,and we all know what a steaming pile that turned out to be.The metallica fans who still have a shred of hope in the band can have St. Anger.I'm gonna avoid it like the plague,no matter WHAT it sounds like.They are dead to me,period.

Electronicoil said:
Any true metalhead should completely turn their back on this band.
Why? I don't even care that they don't play "real" (you know, tr00 and br00tal :yuk: )metal anymore, I still like them.

Electronicoil said:
Screw 'em hard, particularly the Danish troll drummer.
Okay that was pretty funny. :lol: