Metallica To Make a Comeback?

Consuming Impulse

New Metal Member
Feb 26, 2006
Hell
METALLICA's Lars Ulrich has exclusively revealed to Kerrang! magazine that the band's new material has an "old-school" METALLICA flavor.

The metal legends are currently working on the follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger" in their own studio at METALLICA HQ in San Rafael, California.

"The last album was an unusual METALLICA album in that no one brought ideas into the studio. Everything you hear on that album was given birth to in the studio," the drummer notes. "This time around we've each brought in ideas as we used to — as well as working on some jams we had from from two summers ago — and James [Hetfield] and I are sorting through our CDs of riffs to put together stuff as we did back in the day.

"The new stuff is much more organic, more old school. It certainly doesn't feel like 'St. Anger' Part Two," Ulrich adds. "When we were rehearsing for our South African shows and started playing the 'St. Anger' stuff, it definitely felt very different to the rest of the set because of how the songs were put together. It was really important to make that record in the way we did because of the chaotic internal vibe at that time: 'St. Anger' was a statement, 55 minutes of brutality packed onto a CD, proving to ourselves that we still had the spark. 'St. Anger' was fun but we don't need to make that album again."

Ulrich says that the band have six or seven songs nearing completion, minus vocals and they are using producer Rick Rubin, famed for his work with SLAYER, for the first time. This collaboration marks the end of the quartet's 15-year relationship with producer Bob Rock, but Ulrich insists the split was drama free.

"We had a great time with Bob," he admits. "But it seemed that after 15 years it was time to try some different things and get a different perspective. As you get older you get set in your ways and get very fucking spoilt. It was important for as to not get stuck. Rick makes everything — he sees the big picture and has big ideas. It's working out great. We're excited hearing shit come together!"

METALLICA's as-yet-untitled album is expected in early 2007.

Wonder what old school means for Lar$...

NP: Bruce Dickinson - 'Soul Intruders'

theyre might be a difference. since they no longer work with with bob cock i mean rock. and i hope old school doesent mean black album. i hope old school means ride the lightning.

you can only go better then st anger and load. imagine if they mixed st anger (korn like guitars, garbage can snare sound, no solos.) with load (country, photos) with a duest with linkin park. :ill: :puke: that would reach to an all time low.

Al Bundy said:
you can only go better then st anger and load. imagine if they mixed st anger (korn like guitars, garbage can snare sound, no solos.) with load (country, photos) with a duest with linkin park. :ill: :puke: that would reach to an all time low.

I ain't no metalli-sheep, but fuck, why does everybody criticize Load? This CD is actually heavy, lots of crap songs in there, but lots of good songs. I find it funny how so many would worship a band that plays the same tempo throughout the entire disc, shit gets stupid after a while, probably why I prefer Met's KEA, RTL, or any Overkill, or any early 'deth, Laaz Rockit, Omen, Thrax, Testament, Sacred Reich, or just about any band with some variety over that steaming pile of Slayer...

Hehe....

Slayer's not so bad, but fuck seems nobody knows the reason Slayer was cool in the first place, and only pretend to like them...

They said Load was gonna be Old School. They said Reload was gonna be Old School. They ranted loud that St. Anger was gonna be Old School.

When are you gonna figure out that Lars just wants to sell you some more plastic?

makes sense if lars was just is just trying to make more money, after seeing what he did with napster, that seems to make sense. But im still looking forward to the new album. The album to me doesnt NEED to be old school, just as long as its metal and its metallica its good enough me. But shit, the old stuff in the 80's up to the black album is soooo much better than them now.

I'm looking at this like Queensryche.

I'm not abandoning all hope, but I'm not particularly encouraged about the way this will come out.

Thoth-Amon said:
Puh-lease... Metallica died 15 years ago.

i see were your coming from in that most stuff after justice is kinda dodged at best. But you gotta give the black album some credit - be it just for the 'God that failed' :headbang:

Also, while load sux as a metallica album, there are some cool songs on there. But yer reload and st cunt certainly suck major ball sack

Danallica said:
i see were your coming from in that most stuff after justice is kinda dodged at best. But you gotta give the black album some credit - be it just for the 'God that failed' :headbang:

Also, while load sux as a metallica album, there are some cool songs on there. But yer reload and st cunt certainly suck major ball sack

The Black album was decent certainly. In fact if it weren't for that album I wouldn't be into metal at all. But it simply pales in comparison to their 80's material. Had Metallica continued to make albums of the quality of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets to this day they would be the undisputed best metal band in the world. Unfortunately that is not the case. Oh well, one can always enjoy the old albums.

Thoth-Amon said:
The Black album was decent certainly. In fact if it weren't for that album I wouldn't be into metal at all. But it simply pales in comparison to their 80's material. Had Metallica continued to make albums of the quality of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets to this day they would be the undisputed best metal band in the world. Unfortunately that is not the case. Oh well, one can always enjoy the old albums.

Agree with you on everything... also Lars saying: "proving to ourselves that we still had the spark." ... only spark he has seen is the spark of a lighter from all the crack he is smoking thinking that lol ...

Thoth-Amon said:
Had Metallica continued to make albums of the quality of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets to this day they would be the undisputed best metal band in the world.

Thats way too subjective.