Metallica

LastOfTheJotun

Sonic Vomit
Aug 26, 2002
Tx.
Visit site
What are your all's opinions on Metallica and the path they have chosen to wander? Anyone hear that 41 second clip of "dead kennedy rolls", yet? Don't worry your not missing out on anything spectacular. IMHO. But who knows. It has a sound that makes me kinda wanna hear the finished product,...but it doesnt' knock me on my ass either. I think this will be a make or break album for Metallica, only because it's been built up so much about them going soft, and how many fans have been itching for something heavy, and the time it takes Metallica to write a studio album. Because of the long wait, I think if this next album doesn't meet fans expectations, if they've ever lost fans, it will be because of this next album not fullfilling something fans are building alot of hopes on. Just my views I could be wrong. I listen to some of thier new stuff, the longer material like Outlaw Torn, Bleeding Me, Fixxxer. Those are more passionate than they are rockin, you can get absorbed in them. Everything up to ...And justice for all is nice. From the black album on, (oh and My friend of misery is ok) you can basically nitpick a song here and there. Thats not a good sign =/ bleh.

What do you guys think?

I still listen to a lot of the stuff on the post Black albums... as you point out, they have passion more than they rock, but to me passion is more important... but I am very worried about Metallica's new direction... I haven't heard the clip yet, but I have heard that they've been working with a rapper (Ja Rule, if I'm not mistaken) on one of the tracks? That doesn't sound like the Metallica I know and love... hehehe
Still, I'll reserve judgement till the album comes out - hearing the whole thing will be the only way to really discover if it's a disappointment or the next chapter in Metallica's continued evolution...

Remember the song "I Disappear" from MI2 soundtrack?

The next Metallica album will most probably sound like 12 different versions of that song - so you can make up your mind now....

...oh and I hear that Kirk is going to drop the wah-wah pedal for about 4 seconds on the entire album - otherwise you can expect more "wah wah wah wah" guitar solos that sound like Jimi Hendrix passing wind.

I like all of Metallica's albums so far... didn't like I Disappear though...

The clip of DKR is a bit... poo... numetal 2 chord groove riffage is what I heard... and the poor vocals from James... I am glad they smooth them out for recorded stuff...

But I will buy it because Metallica will always hold a special spot in my heart for introducing me to metal... I need all of the albums eh... heh... but I imagine it wont be that good, unless you are a 12 year old 'extreme metalhead'...

Originally posted by Weapon X
Ahh geez another Metallica thread that won't piss off. It's been done 5 times a week since I join UM!!!!

yeah but this guy doesnt know that......he seems new to the board.......best metallica albums = master of puppets, ...and justice for all (thats my opinion anyway)......the black album was shit, and the new stuff looks like its going to be a complete load of fucking shit........another thing about metallica is that they arnt in it for the music anymore.......they are in it for the money......and they already have like 80 million each anyway and they fucking want more!?!?!?......they way they treat their fans is fucking out of order aswell, i read something the other day on the net that said metallica picked out 100 people at random that had downloaded their mp3s (u see they dont like people doing that, they want the money ;) ) and they tried to press charges......now i think thats way out of line, fuck off metallica, they really should just fuck off now........:mad: :lol:

Originally posted by dill_the_devil
I have heard that they've been working with a rapper (Ja Rule, if I'm not mistaken) on one of the tracks? That doesn't sound like the Metallica I know and love... hehehe

Metallica gave swizz beatz some riffs here and there from their pile of skrapmetal of the new material they've been working on.
Swizz beatz patched riff A and riff B together and made thier own little mix, and had ja rule rap over it. So in a sense it's not a Metallica song at all. In fact it will not be on the new album either. Lars mentioned it had nothing to do with thier own album.

Maybe it was a way to attract new listeners, a marketing tactic or whatever.

"Ja Rule - we did it again"

one of my friends moved to sugar land about 6 years ago...anyway... im intersted to hear the new metallica, they brought me too metal, as they did with so many others. i will support them till the bitter end.

If Metallica would release an old school trash album I think they would regain a lot of their fans. An it would blow mainstream away but they have chosen a different path and I think the new shit will suck.

metallica are a bunch of money grabbing arseholes and nobody should buy their new album...that would piss them off....they are nothing against the likes of exodus and slayer (in my opinion)

YES!!! i HATE lars:mad: he sucks SO bad and so many ppl think he is the best drummer in the world ever! it pisses me off!:( i am a drummer too and i am so much better. of course i am no Hellhammer or Trym but i am better than crappy lars! i still have a LONG way to go but i had passed lars up when i was 5 years old

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
If Metallica would release an old school trash album I think they would regain a lot of their fans. An it would blow mainstream away but they have chosen a different path and I think the new shit will suck.
The only way Shitallica can write or release a thrash album again is if they get Dave back and get rid of Kirk, the most over-rated guitar player in the world. We know that will never happen.