Michael Amott Tone

A little off topic, but I believe that the JSX can get a lot heavier than people give it credit for.

I just ordered a matched quad of JJ 6L6's and swapped out the stock EL34 EH's.
For anyone wondering the tonal difference between the 6L6's and EL34's in the JSX Head, here's a review I emailed to Bob from Eurotubes:

Bob,

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful tubes. I recently bought a Peavey JSX which came with stock EL34 EH power tubes. I sold my Peavey 5150 to buy it, and after a few days of tweaking settings, I began to miss the heaviness of my old 5150. The EL34's had a great crunch sound to them (but perhaps a little brittle and way too much on the bright side) and the lead sound was very fluid, but lacked the low end thump that I loved so much in my 5150. I decided to give the 6L6's a try and ordered a matched quad. I recieved the tubes only 2 days after ordering them and popped them in, switched the bias setting to 6L6 and flipped on the power. The only word to describe the sound is HUGE. The annoying high end of the amp was gone and replaced with a powerful low end chunk that kicked me in the chest as soon as I hit a palm mute. The cleans were even better than before and felt so much more warmer. The JJ's breathed new life into my JSX and my sorrows of selling my beloved 5150 vanished. This is the tone that I've been hearing in my head since I've picked up the guitar. Bear in mind that the preamp tubes are still the stock EH's. I can't imagine how the tone can get any better, but once I order me a set of JJ preamp tubes, I believe it will be total bliss.

I've read a lot of reviews stating that the JSX can't do a metal tone, but with the 6L6's, I believe that it can easily hang with a 5150 or Mesa Recto. It may not be as raw or as growling as those amps, but it has a unique voice all its own. Don't get me wrong, it has a great tone with the EL34's, but it sounds so much more deeper and less ear piercing with 6L6's. I was thinking of picking up another 5150 for my rythm tone, but I think I'm going to hold off since I'm quite content with my tone now. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about picking up this amp.

HAHA, ive played the amp at a music shop in stock form, it had plenty of Metal in it, i didnt even have the gain past 5. I'm very interested in the amp, but i would like to hear some pro recordings with it for a bit of piece of mind, in terms of what a pro can achieve with it.

I heard somewhere that Christopher Amott used the JSX for all of the leads on Doomsday Machine. I could be wrong, so someone correct me.

TheRiverFlowsFrozen said:
I heard somewhere that Christopher Amott used the JSX for all of the leads on Doomsday Machine. I could be wrong, so someone correct me.

I thought that album was all Krank and Mesa Recto, I could be wrong though. Or maybe that was just for the rhythm guitars?

I know that Exodus used the JSX when i saw then at the begining of this year, but i'd assume the SHKM tone was the Marshall used on TotD. I thought Doomsday machine was the Krank and Recoto and the JSX was just a live thing as with Exodus.

"I know that Exodus used the JSX when i saw then at the begining of this year, but i'd assume the SHKM tone was the Marshall used on TotD. I thought Doomsday machine was the Krank and Recoto and the JSX was just a live thing as with Exodus."
SHKM was recorded using a triple XXX.

didn't andy just mix and master doomsday machine? iirc the tracking was done somewhere in sweden.
if so, i guess andy reamped all the tracks?

Fragle said:
"I know that Exodus used the JSX when i saw then at the begining of this year, but i'd assume the SHKM tone was the Marshall used on TotD. I thought Doomsday machine was the Krank and Recoto and the JSX was just a live thing as with Exodus."
SHKM was recorded using a triple XXX.

Close enough for me. Do you know any sites with pics of the recording?

I know he's changed setup's since I saw him last but his rig then was the 5150 >Marshall 1960 A & B> Boss DD5 in the effects loop> front of amp was his Boss TU2 tuner>Vox wah>Rocktron Hush Systems the pedal 2 channel> Ibanez AD 9. That was during Wages.

I seen AE in late Nov/05. Great show! Michael was using a Krankenstien, with a Boss chourus and, I believe, a Boss noise gate. I spoke with his guitar tech about 5150s. He kinda frowned on the 5150II, said Michael prefered the 5150.

TheRiverFlowsFrozen said:
A little off topic, but I believe that the JSX can get a lot heavier than people give it credit for.

I just ordered a matched quad of JJ 6L6's and swapped out the stock EL34 EH's.
For anyone wondering the tonal difference between the 6L6's and EL34's in the JSX Head, here's a review I emailed to Bob from Eurotubes:

I've read a lot of reviews stating that the JSX can't do a metal tone, but with the 6L6's, I believe that it can easily hang with a 5150 or Mesa Recto. It may not be as raw or as growling as those amps, but it has a unique voice all its own. Don't get me wrong, it has a great tone with the EL34's, but it sounds so much more deeper and less ear piercing with 6L6's. I was thinking of picking up another 5150 for my rythm tone, but I think I'm going to hold off since I'm quite content with my tone now. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about picking up this amp.

I bought a used JSX head last week but haven't had a chance to fire it up since getting it home from the store. Was any rebiasing necessary when you installed the 6L6s, or was it really just flick-a-switch-and-go?

Have you noticed that the Noise Gate knob and Clean channel mid eq knob don't seem to do much of anything? I played through two new JSX heads to confirm that they all shared those two little 'idiosyncracies' with the used head before I bought it, but maybe that one store got a bad batch from Peavey.