Michael Amott Tone

Dimebag-15

May 30, 2006
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me get Michael Amott tone. I'm specifically trying to get the tone off the song Nemesis. I've got a krankenstein, I was wondering if anyone knew what pedals and eq he uses.

Thanks in advance.

They say he uses a revolution, but I saw him on his last tour, and he was definately using the krankenstein, sounded really good.

Dime-15... just like ANY artist you really admire for their tone and chops, the gear is only about 20% of the overall equation... dont go crazy trying to get all of his exact stuff... it's fruitless.

its fun to try and get close, though.

They used the Krank Revolutions w/ matching cabs when I saw them last year. They sounded exactly like the CD.

yeah, i wouldn't mind knowing how to nail his tone as well, but to be honest, they're right a lot's in the fingers, cos for instance, the dvd that came with doomsday machine, listen to chris' lead tone on dead eyes see no future, sounds dead on like the album, but he's using a jsx instead of a 5150, i know these are similar amps, but a lot of it, is his playing style coming through.

Yeah, a players grip is a great ingredient to the sound!
When I was trying out a Krankstein with 3 friends of mine we all sounded totally different using the same guitar, cable and amp settings.
For example, I really dig hard with the pick so my rhythms had a different "snarling" color to them, when compared to those three guys'...

I'm not saying I own these guys' asses when it comes to playing, it's just a matter of a different approach.

SickBoy said:
I'm not saying I own these guys' asses when it comes to playing, it's just a matter of a different approach.

Sure you are. It's okay to be elitist when you're an engineer. Remember, it's us vs them... bunker down :p

But yes, playing styles vary immensely and add a significant character to sound. This is why a lot of newer, more inexperienced players get caught up in a gear rush and buy up everything they can imagine in search of a sound. What they don't realize is that their own lack of ability is bottlenecking them!

Moonlapse said:
Sure you are. It's okay to be elitist when you're an engineer. Remember, it's us vs them... bunker down :p

Yeah, those lesser beings... :p

Well, even if you're kidding, since I began recording at home I've improved the clarity of my performance immensely! I could hear every little mistake, be it the unwanted brushing of the strings or the strings not being played ringing freely, you name it... I'm far from perfect, but I really like the improvement the home recording experiences gave me. :headbang:

Michael Amott - Lead Guitar

Guitars:
ESP AV-395 NINJA (Michael Amott signature model)
And various other ESP guitars from the Tokyo, Japan custom shop.

Pickups:
Seymour Duncan Humbuckers (JB in the bridge, '59 in the neck)

Amplification:
KRANK Revolution Series One

Cabinets:
KRANK Revolution Series speaker cabinets with Celestion V30 speakers

Strings:
D'Addario (11, 15, 18, 32, 44, 59 - custom set)

Effects/Pedals:
VOX Wah Pedal
MXR – Phase 90
DIGITECH – Digidelay
BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
ROCKTRON “Hush – The Pedal"

I think the best way to nail Mike's tone is with a Peavey 5150 and a mahogany body guitar with a Duncan JB in the bridge. I have a Vox wah as well, and it sounds just like his tone. I'm not saying I nail his tone, because he's a better player than I'll ever be, but that's the closest thing I've found.

Gnash said:
I have the Dime wah. Crybaby From Hell. Wouldn't trade it for anything! I've owned every wah under the sun from vox to every Dunlop, and this one just fucking rules!

I will second that. It's actually more versatile than the Roland V-Wah, which I tried it against. Go figure. You can go from very subtle, expressive wah to in-your-face gain-boosted wah insanity very easily. I also like to use it as an EQ coloration on leads sometimes, without rocking the pedal itself. It's fantastic! :headbang:

Kazrog said:
I will second that. It's actually more versatile than the Roland V-Wah, which I tried it against. Go figure. You can go from very subtle, expressive wah to in-your-face gain-boosted wah insanity very easily. I also like to use it as an EQ coloration on leads sometimes, without rocking the pedal itself. It's fantastic! :headbang:

I'm sure it's great, but a Vox wah totally nails Amott's wah tone, which is what the original poster seems to be looking for.

cobhc said:
yeah, i wouldn't mind knowing how to nail his tone as well, but to be honest, they're right a lot's in the fingers, cos for instance, the dvd that came with doomsday machine, listen to chris' lead tone on dead eyes see no future, sounds dead on like the album, but he's using a jsx instead of a 5150, i know these are similar amps, but a lot of it, is his playing style coming through.

Does anyone know of a metal album tracked with a JSX. Other than one of Satch's albums i know of none, and that's not exactly the material i play. I mean full melodic/ thrash metal or any type of album that would have been at home with a Recto or 5150.

Nebulous said:
Does anyone know of a metal album tracked with a JSX. Other than one of Satch's albums i know of none, and that's not exactly the material i play. I mean full melodic/ thrash metal or any type of album that would have been at home with a Recto or 5150.

Kris Norris of Darkest Hour was using them I think, but I don't know if he ever used it on an album. Same deal with Chris Amott.