Michael Amott Tone

iekobrid said:
I bought a used JSX head last week but haven't had a chance to fire it up since getting it home from the store. Was any rebiasing necessary when you installed the 6L6s, or was it really just flick-a-switch-and-go?

Have you noticed that the Noise Gate knob and Clean channel mid eq knob don't seem to do much of anything? I played through two new JSX heads to confirm that they all shared those two little 'idiosyncracies' with the used head before I bought it, but maybe that one store got a bad batch from Peavey.

Well...when I sold my 5150 to a guy here in the forums, I also included my bias probes because I didn't think I would be needing them. Pretty much I installed the 6L6's and flipped the bias setting to 6L6 and put the bias knob exactly half way and turned it do taste. I don't think that you can blow your tubes by cranking the pot completely clockwise, but I wouldn't test that theory. I did notice that the hotter I ran them, the sound became more compressed and the volume dropped slightly. I'm not sure what that means, so I just run it pretty much halfway.

You are right about the noise gate. It only eliminates a slightly audible hiss but isn't good for much else. I run an ISP Decimator in front of the amp and it does it's job. As for the mids on the clean channel, you'd have to have the amp cranked up pretty loud to notice any difference. While running it at bedroom levels the EQ isn't really as effective until you turn it up. Congrats on the new amp, it's a fucking tone machine. :devil: Make sure to get a matched quad of JJ 6L6's. You'll notice a world of difference.

so, does the jsx actually have two distortion channels suited for metal, like the XXX, or is it more like crunch and higain? if the latter is the case, how does one switch from rhythm to lead, a la arch enemy?
edit: and btw, how's the fat switch?

Fragle said:
so, does the jsx actually have two distortion channels suited for metal, like the XXX, or is it more like crunch and higain? if the latter is the case, how does one switch from rhythm to lead, a la arch enemy?
edit: and btw, how's the fat switch?

I find that running the crunch channel with a TS-9 tends to have a more grainy harsher distortion. It still sounds very decent and the tubescreamer adds a little bit of bite to it. Very worthy of heavy rythm. The Ultra channel is compressed, I won't argue about that at all. It's more suited for lead playing but works well for rythm also. At higher volumes the fat switches are more noticable. While they are on, the bottom end is a little more flabby and not as tight. It's kind of overkill while running the 6L6's since they are already heavier in the bottom end than the EL34's. I tend to keep the fat switches off.