Mikael @ Home = Kerrang

Nebularus

Sep 19, 2001
Kobe, Japan
I was checking out the latest issue on my lunch break (I think it was the latest - it's the one with Sum41 on the cover) and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a two page spread about Mikael and his house/apartment! I guess this is a feature where they profile different artists and how they live.

It's a really cool picture of Mikael and his vinyl collection, cat, DVDs, guitar, chess set, etc.

A small side-panel shows him with a Tudor Lodge LP, Sabbath poster, fan picture, etc.

Really cool. Another sign that the band's popularity is growing

F

Wow, I'll have to get that. Or at least find it scanned.

It's funnny, looking at the issue contents.. Opeth seems out of place there. I mean it's mainly a rock magazine covering the well-known to not-quite-known.

Um dont wanna sound like a prick but it would be much appreciaterd if maybe someone who has that issue could scan it and post it up here? that would be great :D

It has a free CD too..it has everythign from "Nile" to "The Datsuns" on it..Kerrang cover a whole lot, they just always have shitty nu-metal and pop-punk stuff on the front cover. But they give all that stuff shitty reviews and rave about the hard metal. Weird.

Much like Revolver, but Revolver tends to wane towards the Nu-Metal side. Albeit, they did have an awesome featur on Peter and Mike for this month's issue.

Wow, after months of reading I finally have a reason to post.

I can't actually scan the thing in, as I don't have my scanner right now, but I'll type it up I guess.

Mikael Akerfeldt
Opeth
Date: 01.04.02
The Gaff: An alarmingly neat flat just outside the city centre. Ikea shelves? Of course...

RECORD COLLECTION
"I love rare 60s and 70s vinyl. It's all I spend my money on. There's something really special about it. You can see the tracks, and I love the fact that it gets this special smell as it gets older."

CAT
"We've got two cats - Isaac of York and Maurice De Bracy, after characters in the 'Ivanhoe' movie. Isaac once ate a whole load of saffron bread and ended up shitting everywhere. It was yellow shit, too!"

DVDS
"When I've got everything that I want on vinyl, I'm going to start a big DVD collection," says Mikael, eyes lighting up at the thought. "I love all the classic mafia movies, like 'Once Upon A Time In America'. But DVDs are so expensive in Sweden.

CHESS SET
Mr Akerfeldt bought this particular "wooden beauty" in Greece. "Our old bass player thought he was a great chess player," cackles Mikael. "We sacked him because he sucked at it!"

GUITAR
"It's a shit guitar, but I love it. I got it for free because it was broken. The neck was off and there were cracks in the top. I've actually written most of our songs on it."

ACCORDION
"I got it from my grandparents. I'm a musician, so they thought I would have to be interested in the accordion! I have done some country recordings, though, and surprise surprise I play the accordion on those."

SKULL
"I stole this from school because I was a metalhead and you're not a proper metalhead unless you have some kind of skull in your house. Essential decoration for any home."

GLOBE
"I want my house to have a cosy, '70s style feel to it," beams our host. "so a globe is obviously essential. I also want to get a '70s style bar set up in here, too, so people can help themselves to a drink. While they look at the globe, obviously!"

[Side Panel]
"WE'RE NAKED!"
Five more things you'll find chez Akerfeldt...

BLACK SABBATH PICTURE
"It came with the original vinyl edition of 'Master of Reality'," the Sabbath-loving growler says, looking longingly at the shot in his hall. "It's the best picture of a band I've ever seen. We always wanted to look like this..."

GRAND THEFT AUTO
"It's the best game ever! It should be forbidden for youngsters to play it because you can beat the shit out of people. You walk around, taking jobs for the mafia and killing people. It's very entertaining, but it's very sick as well."

EIGHT-TRACK RECORDER
"If I didn't have this," says Mikael fondly, "there would be no new album. It's just an eight-track thing, but I record all our demos on it. I actually recorded the bonus tracks on the special edition of 'Blackwater Park' on this."

FAN PORTRAIT
"I got this from a fan on our last UK tour. We don't normally get anything like this, so we thought this picture was very cool. It resembles us," he adds with a frown, "but we're naked for some reason!"

TUDOR LODGE ALBUM
Yet more '70s antiquities. "They were an English band. This is one of the most expensive albums I have. I saw it on eBay for about $680. My copy is in mint condition. Of course."

And that's it. In the same issue there's a pretty cool, (but short) interview with Satyr Wongraven. I guess I'll type that up too if anyone wants to see it :D.