Mike Pinnella's solo CD

Knight of the Templar said:
I actually prefer Mike Pinnella over Jordan Rudess...

I do, too.

Jordan just wanks all the time. He's incredibly technically talented, but I don't think he's the best songwriter, and his solo patches sound like garbage. There's probably been three or four quality parts that he's added to Dream Theater's music since 1998. Let's see - the solos in Fatal Tragedy, the intro to Home, the piano solo in Blind Faith, and some sections in In The Name Of God.

Take the song As I Am off Dream Theater's latest album, for example. Jordan is too focused on being the band's second guitarist. If you listen closely, you'll hear an electronic buzz doubling most of Petrucci and Myung's riffs (in the same octave Petrucci plays them in). Boring!

Give me Sherinian or Moore in Dream Theater over Rudess anyday.

If you took Pinnella's keyboards out of a Symphony X song, it would sound empty. P also knows when not to play, though - like at certain points on The Odyssey album. When the fierce guitar riffs come in, he won't double them on keyboard, because he's smart enough to know that it would sound like shit.

MorphineChild205 said:
I do, too.

Jordan just wanks all the time. He's incredibly technically talented, but I don't think he's the best songwriter, and his solo patches sound like garbage. There's probably been three or four quality parts that he's added to Dream Theater's music since 1998. Let's see - the solos in Fatal Tragedy, the intro to Home, the piano solo in Blind Faith, and some sections in In The Name Of God.

Take the song As I Am off Dream Theater's latest album, for example. Jordan is too focused on being the band's second guitarist. If you listen closely, you'll hear an electronic buzz doubling most of Petrucci and Myung's riffs (in the same octave Petrucci plays them in). Boring!

Give me Sherinian or Moore in Dream Theater over Rudess anyday.

If you took Pinnella's keyboards out of a Symphony X song, it would sound empty. P also knows when not to play, though - like at certain points on The Odyssey album. When the fierce guitar riffs come in, he won't double them on keyboard, because he's smart enough to know that it would sound like shit.
Agreed.

Although i quite like the almost comical element the keyboard riffage brings of ToT (which btw, i think is really awesome except as i am and ITNOG which i would just call fairly good/ok), it wouldn't fit in symphony x at all. Infact i hope DT dont apply it in their next album either, as once is enough of something that, whilst being fairly cool, could get really tedious.

Talked to Pinnella today, and the cd is 1) all him, and 2) all instrumental. He was delayed in getting the cd in the mail, so I won't have it til next week, but as soon as it gets here, I'll see about making some sort of sample(s) available to you all.

Knight of the Templar said:
I actually prefer Mike Pinnella over Jordan Rudess... because it reminds me of Kevin Moore, which was (IMHO) DT's best keyboardist.

I'll be getting it!

I agree that Kevin was the best keyboardist for DT as far as making the biggest contributions to the band at such. Jordan in my opinon has made some great contributions to the band, its hard to deny that. Train of thought was a metal album, and in a metal band the keyboardist doesnt have much to do when hes not soloing. That album is the last thing i would judge him on. He is a very unique soloist andhas unbelievable chops. For those of you who havent heard his solo stuff, i would certainly reccomend it.

Personally (and please dont hate me for saying this) while i think pinella is an important part of the band, i dont think it would be hard to replace him. I dont think he is as essential to Symphony X as say Kevin moore was to Dream Theater, and about equally as essential as Jordan is to DT (which isnt a bad thing as i think Jordan is pretty esential to DT these days).

Now you wanna talk about keyboardists? Vitalij Kuprij is where its at....that guy is the shiznit :worship:

Lady of the Oracle said:
Talked to Pinnella today, and the cd is 1) all him, and 2) all instrumenal. He was delayed in getting the cd in the mail, so I won't have it til next week, but as soon as it gets here, I'll see about making some sort of sample(s) available to you all.

This is going to be awesome! :headbang:

Lady of the Oracle said:
Talked to Pinnella today, and the cd is 1) all him, and 2) all instrumenal. He was delayed in getting the cd in the mail, so I won't have it til next week, but as soon as it gets here, I'll see about making some sort of sample(s) available to you all.

::Jumps up and down:: I got so excited when I read this.

Luis said:
I dont agree, Mr Pinella and Romeo are the core of SymphonyX. Without Pinella SX would suck..

Definitely. Pinnella has a special vibe in his playing that has been in SymX since the beginning, and to take it away would be like taking out a vital organ. To replace him just wouldn't be the same. Don't talk of such things!! :erk: :Shedevil:

And omg the solo album is ALL him...that makes it a million times cooler! :headbang:

pinella's work in SymX is alot of times not immediatly noticable, but his parts really give the songs their atmosphere, and push harmonies, even though they may not be as obvbious as romeos lines. Go Pinella! :headbang: :worship:

OfSinsAndShred said:
I forget who it was that said this, but "I miss Mr. Harpsichord Pinella." And I think we may be seeing him again. :)

This is going to rule.
That was me! That was me! :p
So I've got to quote someone who said: "I'm sure there's more to Mr. Pinella than we know of..."
...Eagerly awaiting...:kickass:

The tracklist to the album has also been released:

01. The White Room
02. Edge Of Insanity
03. Piano Concerto#1 mvt.1
04. Enter By The 12th Gate
05. Falling From The Sky
06. Welcome To My Daydream
07. Piano concerto #1 mvt.2
08. Piano concerto #1 mvt.3
09. Live for the day
10. *Scriabin Etude OP.42 no5 *
11. Moracan Lullaby
12. Departing for Eternity
13. Cross the Bridge

The album's gonna be TOO good as I'm a big fan of instrumental metal and the symphonic parts of Symphony X. I'm gonna literally EXPLODE when I first hear it I'm sure

Romeo.jr said:
pinella's work in SymX is alot of times not immediatly noticable, but his parts really give the songs their atmosphere, and push harmonies, even though they may not be as obvbious as romeos lines. Go Pinella! :headbang: :worship:

I totally agree with that. I cannot wait for this to come out, I am almost positive it is going to be like Olfield and Vangelis, which will be very cool!

The Wrath Divine said:
Pinella is definitely good, he gives those subtle yet powerful melody lines in SX that sometimes Romeo doesn't.

Even though I play guitar, keyboard is my favorite instrument. I think you can do more with them like sequencing and other stuff. Pinella is my favorite keyboardist for that reason.