Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater - :(

Portnoy is great, but tends to get himself in a rut, like he would rather just buy larger drum sets than trying to play something new.

You know he's great though because he has moments of brilliance when he lets go and sounds like a different drummer. A lot of the groovy, jammy LTE songs are good examples.

Yeah that's pretty much it; glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It's like he would compensate for lack of creativity with just adding a monster stage kit so everyone can say, "Wooooowwww", when he didn't really need it.

DT burned themselves out. They've been in a non-stop writing/recording/touring cycle for 25 years, and their tours are literally year-long tours sometimes. Prog typically overdoes things, but DT overdid everything they touched.

I hope his new projects and new-found happiness will generate some creativity and he'll make some killer albums. I'm sure his lack of creativity in recent years is largely due to playing with DT.

Is it a shock? Yes, but I can't say I'm too crestfallen. While they will always be a legacy band and Images & Words will always be a top-10 album, the truth is that I just haven't listened to them much and the last 3 or 4 cd's only had a few songs on each that got repeated listens from me. I'm always much more excited to hear the new Nevermore, Opeth, or Lamb of God material, or any of the other great bands I've discovered over the past few years than the same mid-tempo, ballad-filled stuff DT has been putting out. They can still shred with the best of them, but to me they lost their edge a long time ago.

I wonder how much of his involvement with Avenged Sevenfold led to this - they are one of the worst bands to ever wear eyeliner, but they are popular with the young Hot Topic crowd of lite-metal for girls and sensitive guys and I'm sure they sell a ton of records and sell out big arenas every night. While DT is always going to have that built-in fanbase that will sustain them, maybe MP sees a big pile of money sitting in front of him that he knows would take another 5 years or more to get with DT, and he wanted to grab as much as he could while it was still on the table. He has also done a lot of side projects, so maybe they both go their own way for a few years and then they'll kiss and make up for a 30th Anniversary reunion cd and tour.

If they're continuing, maybe DT can put out a solid real record, instead of ripping off mainstream acts, and old-men attempts at nu-metal.

I think this is a good thing.

im Glad he is out!now we'll see a different record not train of thought part 5!

Zonder's drum set would not get the approval of DT fans.

Plus I think he was done with playing double bass back in the 80s, not really his thing anymore.