Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
His list:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Slayer
5. Opeth

Opeth deserves a place among those gods!

And here is the video if you want to watch the whole thing.

I love the way Portnoy describes Opeth. If I wasn't familiar with Opeth, I'd definitely want to check them out based on his description alone.

Cheers!

His list:

1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Slayer
5. Opeth

Opeth deserves a place among those gods!

And here is the video if you want to watch the whole thing.

I love the way Portnoy describes Opeth. If I wasn't familiar with Opeth, I'd definitely want to check them out based on his description alone.

Cheers!

Slayer at 4?!:puke: Even Anthrax was better!:rolleyes:

Come on you dont have to bitch about everything..

The list is great, all of the bands have certain huge impact on music industry (maybe except for Opeth, though I would list them as my favourite with Dream Theater) and all the bands there have great quality to their music in pretty much every aspect.

Great list!

List is cool.

And,by the way,I also saw many guys trolling on Blabbermouth about the choices he made.Come on,this is an extremely personal thing.Personal tastes differ.It is boring to see everyone judging by their own tastes.

both Opeth and Black Sabbath would be in mine. none of the others, nor DT, they would not fit in the top 100.

Good explanation on opeth's music, but i wouldnt have many of those bands in any top 5 of mine except metallica, and opeth. And even then opeth reign supreme but megadeth for me would surely go ahead of metallica based solely on the peace sells, and rust in peace albums. Black sabbath perhaps in my top 10 since they are inovators and i do listen frequently but there are bands i would easily put ahead of sabbath.

For those Dream Theater fans out there, Mike Portnoy considered having Akerfeldt do some guest vocals on their album. Then Portnoy decided to try the growls himself. They actually weren't that bad. In the end he decided to go with a vocal style similar to the ones on Systematic Chaos.

Here's a link to his blog where he has a sample of his growling vocals attempt.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2352022.aspx

Cheers.

Seriously, it's not like Mike ranked those 5 particular bands as the best of all times. These "Best of" questions are silly, and absolutely meaningless. Slayer is a way better band than Opeth by miles stretch because Hell Awaits and Divine Intervention is better than anything Opeth have ever released.

Now, that's just my subjective opinion. And Mike said himself that he wasn't going to go all surgical as far as picking out the bands; it's simply a spontaneous list he made up on 9 minutes. I think he had Opeth in mind for the last 2, and simply picked them because they are to tour together. Personally i can think of tons of other bands that deserves that fifth spot more than Opeth.

Seriously, it's not like Mike ranked those 5 particular bands as the best of all times. These "Best of" questions are silly, and absolutely meaningless. Slayer is a way better band than Opeth by miles stretch because Hell Awaits and Divine Intervention is better than anything Opeth have ever released.

Now, that's just my subjective opinion. And Mike said himself that he wasn't going to go all surgical as far as picking out the bands; it's simply a spontaneous list he made up on 9 minutes. I think he had Opeth in mind for the last 2, and simply picked them because they are to tour together. Personally i can think of tons of other bands that deserves that fifth spot more than Opeth.

Go to hell you fucking idiot!:devil: