I Can Take Your Lost Soul From The Grave
Jesus Knows Your Soul Can Not Be Saved

Crucify The So Called Lord
He Soon Shall Fall To Me
Your Souls Are Damned Your God Has Fell
To Slave For Me Eternally
Hell Awaits

:heh:

Nah really, i was just making a point with my previous post. Opeth rocks, and is certainly a really amazing band! However, In my Opinion, compared to the other ones on that list, they pale in comparison. But once again, top 5 lists and shit like that are always personal; i might as well say that Flower Travellin Band were a lot heavier than BS, or even Lucifers Friend, or whatever;
Excluding the objective facts such as dates. Hendrix invented Heavy Metal, anyways, so what the hell.

Guys all 5 of those bands rape immensely though I personally am not a huge Iron Maiden fan so why are we discussing this further. And Opeth is lucky to be among such greats.

Luck has little to do with it. Well, no moreso than it having a factor in any band getting signed and famous.

Opeth's talent is why they're on Portnoy's list.

And I agree with some others here... lists are stupid.

What I meant is that those other bands are far more accomplished than Opeth and people should stop with bullshit about how Slayer or Metallica doesn't deserve to make the list and realize how cool it is that a band like Opeth made a list filled with classics.

Did you actually read the blabbermouth comments?

Far, FAR more people are bitching about Opeth being on the list than any other band.

Yes, I read them, but who cares? Those people are idiots. Just because people over there are bashing Opeth doesn't mean that we need to bash Metallica and Slayer over here. But I suppose it will always be trendy to do so, so w/e...

I don't see anybody trashing Slayer or Metallica.

But I am in a hurry, so maybe I skimmed over it.

EDIT: One guy trashed Slayer. No Metallica bashing that I can see.

I don't see the big deal.

Any trashing is a waste of energy PERIOD. Funny and ironic thing is that everyone knows the almighty "law" of teh interwebs that "everyone has their own opinion" but still don't go by it. So what if Portnoy made that list? They asked him and not you (you as in general) the random-internet-asshole since he is, you know, a famous person.

Come on, this is MIKE PORTNOY, not God Almighty of Music! The last time I checked, Portnoy didn't have that title.:rolleyes: Who cares what he likes, I know I don't like Slayer. And that's all that matters to me. Iron Maiden do belong on a top 5 METAL list, but not on general rock top 5 list. No offence to any metalheads personally!:lol:

Come on, this is MIKE PORTNOY, not God Almighty of Music! The last time I checked, Portnoy didn't have that title.:rolleyes: Who cares what he likes, I know I don't like Slayer. And that's all that matters to me. Iron Maiden do belong on a top 5 METAL list, but not on general rock top 5 list. No offence to any metalheads personally!:lol:

Paraphrased:

Come on, this is Mike Portnoy (lol DT), his opinions don't matter. Fact is my opinions matter and Iron Maiden must be on all top 5 metal lists and Slayer sucks.

Any trashing is a waste of energy PERIOD. Funny and ironic thing is that everyone knows the almighty "law" of teh interwebs that "everyone has their own opinion" but still don't go by it. So what if Portnoy made that list? They asked him and not you (you as in general) the random-internet-asshole since he is, you know, a famous person.

:erk:

people are fuckin idiots in this thread...

its MPs opinion... and i personally think the list is great and happy to see Opeth in there. He described Opeth perfectly.

Internet is suxxor, really. Here is a comment that attracted my attention:
A better more accurate list

1 Black Sabbath
2 Overkill
3 Slayer
4 Slipknot
5 Pantera

Ok my opinions your opinions his/her opinions but since you can see such a comment, I guess it is insensible for people to discuss this(elites and funky new metalheads alike:erk:)

My top5 bands overall would be:
1. Porcupine Tree
2. Opeth
3. Dream Theater
4. Anathema
5. Pain Of Salvation
:)

Ok, now you asked for it!:p My top 5 heavy metal/hard rock list:

Led Zep
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden

The first three are all even, it was random ranking. I love them all equally. I do like DT, but they are not pure metal band. I am a proghead, so my top 5 alltime list would include Camel and King Crimson.

What I liked about how Portnoy spoke is the amount of respect he radiates when he was talking about the music he's passionate about. Even if it's about a band or two I don't agree about, I think this guy has a lot of love for this kind of music and he shows it right here.

His description of Opeth is spot on, by the way.

If I had to list my top 5, I think those would be Opeth, Metallica, Therion, Iron Maiden and I think Swallow the Sun or Nevermore