Mike Portnoy lists Opeth in his all-time top 5 metal bands

Well i don't care about Portnoy's opinion but you must care about mine..

the top-5 metal bands are: (because I say so)

1. Led zeppelin
2. Santana
3. The Doors
4. Iron maiden
5. Iron maiden

ANTYMANTYMAN'S!

1. Jan Johansson
2. Georg Riedel
3. Pekka Pohjola
4. Jojje Wadenius
5. Mikael Åkerfeldt

yes they are all METUUL.

I'll add Anders Thidell to the list as he's a relative of mine, and he creates guitars for Steve Vai.
6. Anders Thidell

This thread is for discussing Portnoy's opinion, dont make it a Tell Your All time top 5 metal bands yada yada
btw awesome to see he respects a contemporary band in its peak like Opeth

Metallica should be excluded on any best of metal lists due to their 90's output + St. Anger. Their crap is far crappier than their good songs are good.

And what's with the Slayer hate? Yeah, they have crap, too...but it's not as god-awful as Metallica's crap.

my list:

1.opeth
2.opeth
3.opeth
4.isolation years
5.to fid you barewell

Really good list, not how I would do it but all those bands would deffinetly be high up. Surprised Opeth is on that, but thats impressive as SOLID GOLD SHIT!

Metallica should be excluded on any best of metal lists due to their 90's output + St. Anger. Their crap is far crappier than their good songs are good.

And what's with the Slayer hate? Yeah, they have crap, too...but it's not as god-awful as Metallica's crap.

This is such fucking dumb logic, so basically if you make crap then you cancel out all the innovation and greatness of your other stuff? Go kill yourself and rid us of your stupidity. People didn't say "k guys i dun like new metallica so we cant be influenced by the early albums any more k? wuldnt be rite, amirite?" What a dumbshit answer..wow...

I think Lateralus is correct.

All the other artists on that list are like Metal veterans, and for Opeth to be classed among them is just excellent.

Even if you dont like one or two of the bands on the list, they still helped create metal.

If i were analysing the list and were to give a reason for opeth being there, id say for pushing the boundaries of metal, and not being afraid to put tracks like Credence on a prodominantly heavy album etc.

You really start to realise their influence, when you pick up an album and hear a song and you can just tell the artists listen to opeth.

dead_thread.jpg

This is such fucking dumb logic, so basically if you make crap then you cancel out all the innovation and greatness of your other stuff? Go kill yourself and rid us of your stupidity. People didn't say "k guys i dun like new metallica so we cant be influenced by the early albums any more k? wuldnt be rite, amirite?" What a dumbshit answer..wow...

When I think of Metallica, I can't help but be reminded of the shit that is Load. When I think of Slayer, I think of Reign in Blood, not Diabolus in Musica.

Besides, Slayer's best kills Metallica's best any day of the year.

When I think of Metallica, I can't help but be reminded of the shit that is Load. When I think of Slayer, I think of Reign in Blood, not Diabolus in Musica.

Besides, Slayer's best kills Metallica's best any day of the year.

I love Slayer's first 3 albums probably as much as I love Metallica's first 3, but it's simply bullshit to say that their crap nullifies the influence and awesomeness of their 80s material. I mean come on, you'd have a point of Mike had been praising St. Anger and ReLoad, but if you watched the interview, he was talking about their influence in the 80s.

Not that personal a list. I'd place Sabbath as number one too but where's Deep Purple? Opeth aren't that much a classic still that they'd deserve their place amongst names that big. On one hand, neither does Iron Maiden. They're overappreciated.

I love Slayer's first 3 albums probably as much as I love Metallica's first 3, but it's simply bullshit to say that their crap nullifies the influence and awesomeness of their 80s material.

No nullifies, but outweighs. Let's put it that way.

Slayer's first 4 dominate Metallica's first 4. Hell, I'd even count Megadeth's first 4.

No nullifies, but outweighs. Let's put it that way.

Slayer's first 4 dominate Metallica's first 4. Hell, I'd even count Megadeth's first 4.

Metallica's first 4 > Megadeth's first 6 > Slayer's first 5

Though, I'm no Metallica fanboy, but that's just how it is for me.

Great to see Opeth on Portnoys list also :)