Milano DVD

I have Within Tempation's Black Symphony and Nine Inch Nails Beside You in Time on Blu-ray. The picture quality is pretty awesome, but it's not really astoundingly better than DVD. DVD itself looks a lot better on an HDTV, so in the short run I'd skip HD content and just get HD equipment. I think the difference between 480p and 1080p is supposed to be negligible on a 42" TV from something like 6 feet anyway, so you'll only notice the difference if you're trying to count band members' hairs. Which is understandable, I guess.

This DVD is making me so incredibly happy. It needs to be here now. I knew DT would rock, but it looks like the people of Milan put on an awesome show as well; better than Krakow.

I have Within Tempation's Black Symphony and Nine Inch Nails Beside You in Time on Blu-ray. The picture quality is pretty awesome, but it's not really astoundingly better than DVD. DVD itself looks a lot better on an HDTV, so in the short run I'd skip HD content and just get HD equipment. I think the difference between 480p and 1080p is supposed to be negligible on a 42" TV from something like 6 feet anyway, so you'll only notice the difference if you're trying to count band members' hairs. Which is understandable, I guess.

This DVD is making me so incredibly happy. It needs to be here now. I knew DT would rock, but it looks like the people of Milan put on an awesome show as well; better than Krakow.

But it's obvious that we want to count their hairs! What is the point of the DVD then….

On a more serious note, yes, this DVD really makes me happy, excited, etc. The main show in Live Damage was well, not good, except for the band of course. But it's still pretty lousy, and as I said before, an insult to a band like DT to be honest. Milano was obviously a better choice.

Does everyone like the cover? I've been a bit disappointed/sceptical with the artwork of Fiction Expanded Ed. and I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

I see CM/USA has the 2 DVD/2 CD set listed for $26, can't place an order for it at this time?
at that price I'll have to order several, it will make great gifts
I'm hoping CM/USA will offer this package with a tshirt
as they do with many of their new releases
If things go as they have in the past, a preorder will arrive at my place
a week to 10 days before the official release date -

Blu-Ray version? :(

I'd say there could be one down the road depending on sales and equipment costs in the future; looks like concert was recorded in HD, but I'm just speculating as always :p Based on this: Nightwish's End of An Era was released on Blu-Ray not that long ago (years after original release?)

I'm kind of wondering how old recordings would look - there used to be special features on some Blu-ray movies in 480, and quality sucked.

I'll get the "fattest" edition for now and Blu-ray when it comes out. Everyone I know who knows about DVD coming out and have seen the trailer is fucking psyched :) Russia, Norway, Belarus, Germany, Canada, US, Chile, etc.

I think the difference between 480p and 1080p is supposed to be negligible on a 42" TV from something like 6 feet anyway...

There's a huge difference between 480 and 1080.

1080i and 1080p make difference at a certain distance, but 480 vs higher res - forget about it.

Quality also would depend on the kind of equipment video was recorded on - some of Blu Ray shows are just "upscaled" transfer, or what's the best way to put it? Like Crue's Carnival blu-ray - it's pixelated like fuck in a few spots and you can actually see a lot of "noise" when it gets dark.

47 days to go. Yes, I'm counting. :hotjump:
Nope, that's Tompa Lindberg of ATG.

-Villain

Ah OK thanks :) .
I'd say there could be one down the road depending on sales and equipment costs in the future; looks like concert was recorded in HD, but I'm just speculating as always :p Based on this: Nightwish's End of An Era was released on Blu-Ray not that long ago (years after original release?)

I'm kind of wondering how old recordings would look - there used to be special features on some Blu-ray movies in 480, and quality sucked.

I'll get the "fattest" edition for now and Blu-ray when it comes out. Everyone I know who knows about DVD coming out and have seen the trailer is fucking psyched :) Russia, Norway, Belarus, Germany, Canada, US, Chile, etc.

1080i and 1080p make difference at a certain distance, but 480 vs higher res - forget about it.

Quality also would depend on the kind of equipment video was recorded on - some of Blu Ray shows are just "upscaled" transfer, or what's the best way to put it? Like Crue's Carnival blu-ray - it's pixelated like fuck in a few spots and you can actually see a lot of "noise" when it gets dark.

Yeah that's true, I guess that if the DVD sells very well and there is a lot of demand CM might think of releasing it on DVD. But Nightwish is obviously much more commercial and famous, I haven't seen any other old DVD being released on Blu-ray besides that one.

Yeah I'll get the fattest :))) edition too.

And yes there's a huge difference, a friend has a huge Sony TV 1080p full and compared to mine which is 480p, you can really tell the difference.

Nuclear Blast DE has the deluxe for €32, a bit expensive when you add the €20 shipping to the U.S. :ill: . I'll wait for some sellers on e-bay to have it, but if not I'll order it from there :) .

Yeah, my mistake. It's 720p and 1080p that are nearly indistinguishable at distances. If you're looking for an HDTV on the cheap, 720 is a pretty good buy. 1080i is always a bad resolution, as most flat panels are progressive scan anyway, meaning that 1080i content is displayed at either half resolution or half frame rate, make 720p actually better than 1080i in most cases.

I still stand by 480p DVDs looking worlds better on HDTVs. Watch the same disc via cathode ray sunshine and a computer LCD, and I'm sure that you'll notice that alone improves DVD. Blu-ray is another step, albeit a stupidly expensive one unless you happen to already own a PS3.

On a more serious note, yes, this DVD really makes me happy, excited, etc. The main show in Live Damage was well, not good, except for the band of course. But it's still pretty lousy, and as I said before, an insult to a band like DT to be honest. Milano was obviously a better choice.

I seem to recall reading in an earlier thread that this has something to do with the music of choice that far east. Something about how they mostly listen to heavier stuff. Or maybe they just don't like to mosh; it could be cultural. I don't know because I am obviously not Polish.

Yeah, my mistake. It's 720p and 1080p that are nearly indistinguishable at distances. If you're looking for an HDTV on the cheap, 720 is a pretty good buy. 1080i is always a bad resolution, as most flat panels are progressive scan anyway, meaning that 1080i content is displayed at either half resolution or half frame rate, make 720p actually better than 1080i in most cases.

I still stand by 480p DVDs looking worlds better on HDTVs. Watch the same disc via cathode ray sunshine and a computer LCD, and I'm sure that you'll notice that alone improves DVD. Blu-ray is another step, albeit a stupidly expensive one unless you happen to already own a PS3.

I seem to recall reading in an earlier thread that this has something to do with the music of choice that far east. Something about how they mostly listen to heavier stuff. Or maybe they just don't like to mosh; it could be cultural. I don't know because I am obviously not Polish.

Well I got a PS3 last Monday :) :) . Still, Blu-ray players are not that expensive nowadays.

Well cultural or not, they really didn't help. I wonder who made the decision of filming there, I guess some guy in CM.

I don't think I like the cover of this DVD, it would have been much better without that heart, it looks too emo. Even though I'm a fan of Niklas's drawing, I don't like his recent (Fiction Expanded and on) style when it comes to DT.

what a long technical discussion!!! =) Does the quality of the picture matter THAT much? I mean a dvd is a dvd and the quality will be good, how much will an extra good picture quality add to a live dvd? I think u should start another thread for nerdy tech discussions haha. No offense.

What i really wanted to post was that the trailer looks and in particular, sounds flawless! if the whole dvd is this good, i will come in my pants before the first song is over.

They posted the live version of "The Treason Wall" on the band's myspace page. Though its in godawful myspace quality, I can already tell the crowd is MUCH MUCH better. Mikael sounds great on vocals and everything else is too low in the mix for me to have a solid opinion on it, but I know it'll sound great when its not in 56kbps. You can hear the crowd sing along to the song melody. Its awesome.

^ & ^^ thank you for getting back on track

Dear techno knuckleheads, please take your technology love fest here ...
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/dark-tranquillity/141399-geek-nerd-geek.html
it would be great if the techno fan boys could stay on the topic of this thread or some what near it

I don't care if 'WDIMA" is on 8 mm, Beta, a Lazerdisc or VHS, its all about the music
not what system I'm going to use to play it -

They posted the live version of "The Treason Wall" on the band's myspace page. Though its in godawful myspace quality, I can already tell the crowd is MUCH MUCH better. Mikael sounds great on vocals and everything else is too low in the mix for me to have a solid opinion on it, but I know it'll sound great when its not in 56kbps. You can hear the crowd sing along to the song melody. Its awesome.

Thanks for telling us about the song on MySpace! And yes, the crowd is certainly something else, grazie! :D

Actually I don't like Mikael's vocals in the first parts of the track, but he sounds excellent after that, more old-school Death than Gothenburg sound. I noticed that in the video too :headbang: .

I don't think I like the cover of this DVD, it would have been much better without that heart, it looks too emo. Even though I'm a fan of Niklas's drawing, I don't like his recent (Fiction Expanded and on) style when it comes to DT.
Haven heart maybe? There's the Mind's I too.

I like the cover, even more so because it has a naked man in it.

I can already tell the crowd is MUCH MUCH better.
Of course it's better, Matse was in it.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=50631197&blogId=510124613

Brilliant :D

I don't care if 'WDIMA" is on 8 mm, Beta, a Lazerdisc or VHS, its all about the music
not what system I'm going to use to play it -

Flashing strobes on Live Damage almost killed me (and I'm not epileptic), and I'm interested in the technical details. But whatever, let me free this space up for girlish screams of excitement (before you have anything real to talk about - HA!)

And let me join them :D

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=50631197&blogId=510124613

Brilliant :D

Flashing strobes on Live Damage almost killed me (and I'm not epileptic), and I'm interested in the technical details. But whatever, let me free this space up for girlish screams of excitement (before you have anything real to talk about - HA!)

And let me join them :D

Hahaha that's excellent, I wish he'd come to my house for a couple of beers :D.

Yes, I think everyone here cares about the quality, except for that guy of course. At times Live Damage was like watching Pokemon hahahaha :lol: . Agreed, let us scream like girls!

SoundReliDB02.jpg

Maybe someone can add "We love DT!!!" on top of the gals :p .