Mix this track/pre-pro from my project!

shaggysi0

Darkened Dreams Studios
Dec 30, 2009
Little Rock, Arkansas
www,shaggysi.com
Hi folks. Here are some raw files from my projects' pre-production (very early stages of an EP). Everything in the ZIP you should need including a shitty reference track totally unmixed. There's a few tempo changes and they are embedded in the MIDI.
I wanted you guys to try and mix it before me, might give me some ideas! Also will give you a break from mixing covers (though they are cool, practice is practice!)

Lyrics and vocals will be added later on. Look forward to hearing what you do with these. Enjoy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60685025/PS_SONG2_RAWS.zip

sz_daniel: I really like what you did with the filtered glitched intro, worked great. I dig the overall tones and the fx like sub drop and reverse snare and cymbals. I like how you made the lead guitar sound almost like a synth. It's more or less what I wanted. Great job on both of yours! I'd have liked some distortion on the bass, I usually split process bass with a DI filtered for low end and then a distortion track blended with it.

endlosung: would have liked to hear the whole track but thanks for trying! Tones sounded pretty good from what I heard.

majso: I dig this mix! I like how you gave it an almost industrial metal kind of vibe. Good stuff!

Unclebob: I liked the drums and the lead tone, also the bass. I felt the rhythms needed to be more upfront in the mix.

Thanks so far guys, I enjoyed listening to these and it has definitely given me some ideas and changes towards the final product.

endlosung: would have liked to hear the whole track but thanks for trying! Tones sounded pretty good from what I heard.
at 0.32-1.12 guitars are not double tracking. there are same track copied to different channels. It will not sound good, so I did not continue.

@shaggysi0 thanks for the kind words. there's a little distortion on the bass, but i might try it your way.
really nice track by the way, can't wait for the vocal tracks! :Spin:

Thanks man! I mixed it myself this morning and it's sounding really good, even before master buss processing of which there is just SSLComp right now. I still have some stuff I want to add.

Yeah, the vocals will be killer when they drop. The guy I go to for vocals is great at what he does.

A little about the EP/Project for y'all:-
Project "band" name is Pariah State. The EP is going to be called Man // Machine.
I'm planning this particular track to be the title track. The concept behind the title is how I make use of the computer for drums, bass, synths (and for some parts, Guitars) but there's the human element playing guitar and writing the MIDI in and doing the vocals etc. The song itself will be about how man and machine can be at odds with one another.

@prabblerabble: I really dig this mix, man! I'm gonna listen to it on my speakers tomorrow these earbuds aren't doing it justice. Everything is sitting where it should be. Drums guitars all of it is on point. Mind sharing details of what you used on this mix? Glad you liked the track. I'm excited for you to hear the finished thing. I've just mixed the instrumental and changed bits of the arrangement slightly and am ready to start the lyric/vocal process whilst writing the rest of the EP.

@whynz: glad you had fun with the track. My first crit is that the snare is not loud enough in the mix - I could barely hear it on my earbuds. I liked the glitching in the intro and the guitar tone sounds good. Try adding some distortion/grit to the bass to help it blend better in the mix.

Thanks for taking the time to mix it, dudes. It has really helped me hearing it in all these different variations.