MLB 2008 - Official Thread

You can't send him down to the minors, he's too big of an investment and you just have to hope he comes around. Also I think there's a rule about someone who's been in the majors that long being sent down... not sure, though.
No trade... no one is taking that contract on.
No release, you still pay his contract.
Basically get used to a +5 ERA and 83 MPH fastballs for a while now. Just hope you get enough pitching to move him to No. 4 or 5 starter. He's lost it and you just have to hope he gets it back.

If it was me, I'd stick him on the 60 day DL for some stupid arm reason. Give him time to work with a pitching coach one on one for a while to see if they can work out whatever is wrong, that way he doesn't hurt the team while he goes through it.

Matt Cain isn't bad either.

It doesn't really matter, you're not competing when Benji Molina is your premiere power hitter. There's not a top quality hitter anywhere in the lineup. The Giants have about 3-4 years before contention unless they get a miracle. They need to develop talent from within and let it take over for the Ray Durhams and Randy Winns of the world. The one positive of the Zito signing (the WORST free agent signing since Carl Pavano) was that they realized this... as evidence from Barry Bonds being out of a job. They used to try to quick fix everything... sell out to try and win now... and this is what happened.

I'm not sure how options work, but I think that ball players start their careers with x amount of options, or times they can be sent down. After that, I think they have to agree to it or something. I can be totally wrong and retarded, of course, but you always hear things like "this guy was optioned down to AAA" or "he was out of options, so they had to release him".

And I suppose the best thing they could do is just live with Zito and hope he improves. The Giants aren't going to contend, so it doesn't seem like it's worth it to just eat his salary. Maybe they could stick him in the bullpen and use him as a long reliever until he shows improvement. Maybe that would light a fire under him.

So, with two runners on in the 8th inning at Fenway, rain falling, Alex Rodriguez steps to the plate. I say to myself "Ok. Here comes the fucking thunder"*. Then Francona goes and employs the most obvious stall tactic of all time by calling for Papelbon. I've got to hand it to him, though, because as soon as it came back from the commercial the tarp was going onto the field.

Fuck rain delays!

*I was really proud of the double meaning behind this comment.

Nice to see the Yankees offense finally waking up! Jacks tonight from A-Rod, Johnny D, Cano and Morgan Ensberg. All solo shots, but they were able to score four more runs without homers. All told, 15 hits nicely spread around the lineup. Jeter returned tonight and was running just fine and had a good night with the bat.

Ian Kennedy pitched pretty well, but took a liner in the hip in the 7th (I haven't seen a Kennedy get hit like that since Bobby). Too bad the bullpen had to piss away his lead. Oh well, at least they took back the lead and had Mo slam the door with a perfect 9th.

Hooray CoJack :) RJ's control is shit early, but so far the Giants can't do anything about it.

Never mind. Johnson's control got him poked in the pooper pretty hard. All 3 runs unearned though. Now Sanchez can't hit shit though, so Arizona's mounting up.

just fyi. harry potter is fighting the basilisk right now on my tv
~gR~

fyi. That's not really a basilisk. Just a big snake. Were it a real basilisk, the runt would drop dead the instant his sword pierced it.