MLB 2008 - Official Thread

Manny just hit his 2nd bomb tonite against Mussina.
Every time Manny steps in the box, Mussina should just turn around-drop his pants and bend over, he is officially Manny's bitch.
I still think the Yanks should have landed Santana, a non-move that they will regret.

Well, maybe they won't regret it in the long run (kept the young arms), as a Sox fan I've witnessed first hand what keeping good young pitching can do for ya, but some deals you just have to make. I thought it was inevitable that he would land with the Yanks and was really surprised and happy that they did not get Santana. Johan would give them an instant ace who is still young himself and would solidfy the Yanks rotation. Thier great offense will once again carry them but you usually need great pitching to win a World Series.

Getting Santana would have been a great move if they could have acquired him without giving up Hughes and Chamberlain (the recent suckage of Philip Hughes notwithstanding).

I was mildly disappointed that they couldn't get a deal done, but I'm a little relieved because had they gotten him, it would have been non-stop with the "EVIL EMPIRE BANKEE$ BUY PLAYOFFS AGAIN PAYROLL PAYROLL" shit.

Well, the Sox tried and didn't get him either, maybe its a good thing the Mets came in and grabbed Santana. Now the Sox and Yanks aren't just spending, they are building teams and keeping good young players, that should provide success and great teams hopefully for a long time.

Yes, and that's definitely a good thing that they're both focusing on building teams that will remain strong and cohesive for a long time. It's good for the rivalry because it will keep it exciting for a long time (though hopefully some of the hostility will go away) and it's good for baseball in general, since the Yankees and Red Sox sort of set the standard for how good teams should be built.

And I think the situation with the Red Sox trying to get Santana was the same as with the Yankees. They didn't really need a big ace and they would have had to give up too much.

Gnats swept. Zito sent to 0-5. Webb/Haren/Owings are a combined 12-0 with a 2.18 ERA. Best record in the majors and already a 6 game division lead. One series with Cincinnati and the entire rest of the month is vs. the NL West. It's like September baseball in April. Season couldn't have started any better aside from the loss of Doug Davis for 4-8 weeks for thyroid cancer surgery.

Gnats swept. Zito sent to 0-5. Webb/Haren/Owings are a combined 12-0 with a 2.18 ERA. Best record in the majors and already a 6 game division lead. One series with Cincinnati and the entire rest of the month is vs. the NL West. It's like September baseball in April. Season couldn't have started any better aside from the loss of Doug Davis for 4-8 weeks for thyroid cancer surgery.
DBacks certainly have a great team this year. Gotta credit the organization for developing so many good players. And they didn't even have to go through too many years of rebuilding following their world series win. It's a little too early to be making predictions but if Justin Upton continues the way he has been he could be NL rookie of the year.

It would be nice... but impossible. Upton had 140 AB's in his late call-up in 07, exceeding the 130 AB limit and making last September his "rookie season". Must be nice for these ROY's every year. 75% of their competition gets eliminated by this ridiculous rule. So, ROY 08 won't have to be compared to Upton or most of the fresh September call-ups last year. Stupid rule.

Anyway, off to LA tonight. Haren vs. Lowe. Should be good. I'd love to call sweep to put the Dodgers 10 games back in the west in the basement with San Francisco, but Edgar Gonzalez gets his start tomorrow so I won't :erk: Get well soon, Davis...

I think the AB number should be increased a bit in fairness to the rookies. 130 is barely a month. You can't win ROY in only 4-6 weeks of spot starts and pinch hits in August/September, and then you're disqualified for the next year - your true rookie season - as opposed to some AB's in September call-ups. Agreed on the fact that a line has to be drawn... I just think it's a bit short.

I think the AB number should be increased a bit in fairness to the rookies. 130 is barely a month. You can't win ROY in only 4-6 weeks of spot starts and pinch hits in August/September, and then you're disqualified for the next year - your true rookie season - as opposed to some AB's in September call-ups. Agreed on the fact that a line has to be drawn... I just think it's a bit short.

What is the IP limit for rookie pitchers?