MLB 2008 - Official Thread

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
OK, this thread is for Major League Baseball exclusively. All other sports discussion is to occur in the Sports Thread. With the NFL season over, and all other sports not as nearly discussed, the only sport that warrants its own thread at this point is baseball. So break out your bats and gloves, because Spring Training is just around the corner.

Go Red Sox!

This year I'm abandoning the Rangers in favor of a different team. I'm tired of following such a piece of shit team that has no will to win in the front office. I don't know what the different team will be yet, however.

Sports bigamy is a serious offense as an avid sports fan.
Think about your choice, young one, for if you so choose this path you will be stripped of all credibility in the sports community.

This year I'm abandoning the Rangers in favor of a different team. I'm tired of following such a piece of shit team that has no will to win in the front office. I don't know what the different team will be yet, however.

But they had a 30 run game last year! 30 runs.

The Rangers are in a heavy "get younger now" phase. It may not payoff right now, but give it a few years and we'll be an AL West contender.

They have a chance to do something this year if Millwood and Padilla stay healthy. They contended 2 years ago, don't lose faith just because you're uneducated.

The best part of baseball, and I'm sure this happens for all teams, are the little subplots and dramas that play out during the season. For example things like Clay Bucholz coming up and throwing a no-hitter or even just minor things like hitting streaks or back to back home runs. It's things like this that are the reward of true baseball fans.

The best part of baseball, and I'm sure this happens for all teams, are the little subplots and dramas that play out during the season. For example things like Clay Bucholz coming up and throwing a no-hitter or even just minor things like hitting streaks or back to back home runs. It's things like this that are the reward of true baseball fans.

I know what you mean. You watch these guys almost every day for six months straight, it starts to feel like you know them.

Last season, I was there for Joba Chamberlains first appearance at the Stadium. He'd only pitched, like, twice at that point, but already everyone was crazy for him. He rocked that night, of course, and everyone in the Stadium was on their feet, chanting. "Jo-ba! Jo-ba!". 21 year old kid, in the bigs for a matter of days, and already he's got a stadium full of fans chanting his name. Awesome.

I can't wait for the baseball season. It's the most rewarding sport if you follow it closely

Really? I always liked to see the 30 seconds of action on the news instead of having to watch 3h+ of spitting and ball scratching. I like to play baseball but it's totally unwatchable for me. :p

I need to go to an MLB game. Gonna have to go to a Reds or White Sox/Cubs game. Though I hear getting tickets to a cubs game is impossible and hella expensive.

You should probably avoid the Reds, simply because that will almost certainly be a boring experience. White Sox would probably be pretty good (depending on how they are this year). Cubs, if you can get a ticked for a price you find reasonable, would be your best bet if you really want to experience what going to a baseball game is all about.

edit: But I suppose anywhere would be fine if you plan to get hammered.