MLB 2008 - Official Thread

I'm actually kind of happy. I'm usually a fan of the underdog and I really like Carlos Pena for some reason (he's currently destroying my fantasy team's batting average). Before the season people were saying the Blue Jays might have a shot at second place, but it appears that the Rays are that team this year. Hell if the Yankees keep up their bad play/injuries and the Sox get pummeled by injuries, we could witness history. I don't foresee that happening, but it would be interesting

Indeed. Honestly, despite the mild animosity that seems to exist between the Rays and Yankees, I'm having a tough time not rooting for them to be for real. I mean obviously I always want the Yanks to dominate and win it all, but damn it if I wouldn't get a ton of satisfaction out of seeing the Rays win big this year.

And B.J. Upton. I love that crazy foot action he's got going on when he hits!

Also, point three: Despite everything I stated above, Johnny Gomes can go and fuck right off. I would be totally fine with it if he got tuberculosis (tb lol) and died slowly.

I love Rays vs. Red Sox fights. They're fun because it's a fight and I don't end up filled with hate like when the Sox and Yanks fight. It's almost endearing because the Rays were so bad in the past, all they could do was fight.

Good for the Rays! Its their pitching staff ranked 4th in the league that now makes them a factor.
I think the tough stretch the Red Sox had early on (Japan, travel, tough scedule) did not catch up with them at the end of April like I thought it would? Maybe they are paying for it now in mid May.

Not a fan of it. Sure it's neat to see AZ play at Fenway or Yankee Stadium, but it really doesn't serve a purpose to the game. It's all about the income it generates. I'd rather play the four series' against the other four teams in the NL West. You don't win your division by playing games against the other league. It's basically just an exhibition, like the All-Star game. I'd like to say it means more than the All-Star game, but thanks to Selig and his ridiculous antics, I'm not so sure. But I'll leave the All-Star game argument for another day.

It's ok, I guess. It does create some inequity, though, which is bothersome. Like, you'll have two teams in the same division who are competing closely with each other. Then interleague rolls around and one of them gets the other leagues scrubs will the other gets their contenders.

I thought he meant good "natural" interleague rivalry. Like, the Mets always have to play the Yankees twice in interleague. Now never mind the fact that the Yankees aren't "good" or "capable of winning a series" yet this year, but from season to season, the Yankees will contend, so one can see why the Mets might think it's somewhat unfair.

Who are the Braves natural rival? I guess it'd be Boston, but I thought MLB was trying to start some Boston-Phlly thing.
It's Boston because the Braves used to be in Boston. Philly is Toronto's natural rival because of the World Series thing back in the 90s.

I thought he meant good "natural" interleague rivalry. Like, the Mets always have to play the Yankees twice in interleague. Now never mind the fact that the Yankees aren't "good" or "capable of winning a series" yet this year, but from season to season, the Yankees will contend, so one can see why the Mets might think it's somewhat unfair.
I did mean this.