MLB 2008 - Official Thread

As much as I hate the Yankees, I think that's an unfair characterization. If someone didn't have a history of battling the Yankees, it would be very appealing to play for a team that has tons of fans and always contends. It's not like the Sox are far behind in shelling out the big bucks. I would imagine we both seem evil to teams like the A's

True, but money is still a major factor. The fact that they win a lot and get lots of attendance is what makes the team more money, and thus bigger potential salaries for players. Not that people playing for the Sox aren't at fault.

When their salary is sufficient to support an upper class standard of living many times over. Meanwhile 15% of the population lives below the poverty line.

Every ball player who cares more about money than the game itself.

While I assume you're just screwing around, there are people who think like this, and it is pretty ridiculous tbh.

The idea that players who want to be Yankees "don't care about the game itself" is pretty absurd, considering that the Yankees are the most important franchise in the games history, and, as well all know, the sports most decorated franchise, being not only the team with the most championships, but the team most represented in the Hall of Fame- and the only team represented at each position in the Hall. To quote Jackie MacMullan of the Boston Globe, the Yankees have "made excellence their brand". Players see that and they want to be a part of it. If anything, a desire to play for the Yankee shows a greater appreciation for the games history.

True, but money is still a major factor. The fact that they win a lot and get lots of attendance is what makes the team more money, and thus bigger potential salaries for players. Not that people playing for the Sox aren't at fault.

Well, obviously. The big market teams with a lot of money are always going to have an easier time attracting players. However, the "aura and mystique" factor really can't be ignored. It's a significant draw. That is not to say that their ability to spend more is not a distinct advantage- because obviously it is- but it is far from being the only reason guys want to be on the team.

And it's not only the big, rich star players who talk about how being a Yankee is special. The bench warmers feel it, too.

*Crying eagle*

I always compared joining the Yankees to being a Jew in the Holocaust. Both have to shave and wear pinstripes, which don't have your name on the back on them, just a number.

The only difference is that one's a slave to a dictatorship government and the other is a slave to wealth.

I'm being humorous in this post, btw. Your points are valid.

YEAH WELL I COMPARE JOINING THE RED SOX TO BEING A FAGGOT.

(Both involve taking it up the ass. One, from another dude. The other, from the Yankees. Unless you count last tear and '04.)

What can one really draw from this hearing, other than that most of the committee members had already made up their minds before the hearing?

Obviously, McNamee told the truth about Pettitte and Knoblauch. It's also obvious that's he lied about many other things and that he is a generally unsavory character. So, there's no real reason to think that he lied about Clemens, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he has a history of being deceitful.

Clemens, on the other hand, appeared to be dodging a lot of questions. Specifically, he completley avoided the question about why McNamee would have told the truth in regards to Pettitte and Knoblauch but not about him. What motivation could he have possibly had to lie only about Clemens?

Pettitte should have been there. I think if he was there, the picture would have been much clearer and the hearing might have actually told us something. Pettitte obviously feels that it was understood between he and Clemens that both were using HGH, but Clemens does bring up a valid point: If Pettitte knew that Clemens was using, why is it that they only ever touched on the subject twice, and why is it they never did it together? Everyone knows that they always worked out together, and now everyone one knows that Pettitte use HGH. Why then, if Clemens told Pettitte that he was also using, did they seem to keep their use so private in regards to each other?

Again, I don't believe that Clemens is innocent, but this situation is obviously a lot more complicated than "is Clemens a liar: yes or no?".

Pretty much my thoughts as well. It's a big clusterfuck and to be honest, I blame this shit on the Bud Selig. This is literally all his fault. Granted, I think the majority of baseball fans were very interested in finding out who was named in the Mitchell Report, I just don't think it was fair the way they went about it. It's not a definitive list of who was doping. It would be impossible to name each and every person who was using. The problem I have with it is, Bud Selig should have been testing people during the "steroid era" instead of being a dumbass and eventually trying to make amends by constructing this horrible report that pretty much just defamed anyone somewhat popular. Bud Selig is the one who should ultimately be responsible for what baseball went through, and should be punished accordingly, meaning he should have resigned.