MLB 2008 - Official Thread

SI.com said:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Next year's World Baseball Classic will have the same 16-team field that competed in the initial tournament in 2006.

The tournament organization, which is controlled by Major League Baseball and the players' association, has invited the eight teams that failed to advance past the first round two years ago: Australia, Canada, China, Italy, Netherlands, Panama, South Africa and Taiwan.

Last April, organizers invited the eight teams that made it to the second round: Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea, the United States, Venezuela and defending champion Japan.

Organizers say they plan to establish qualifying rounds for the 2013 tournament.

Did anyone else watch this back in '06? It's definitely a cool idea, but there are some flaws. For one, the timing is somewhat shitty for most of the MLBers, but there doesn't seem to be any real way around that. Also, the format wasn't all that conducive to baseball, but again there doesn't seem to be much way around that.

I didn't like it. Too many players were missing because of the shitty timing, and the single-game elimination format doesn't belong in baseball. Korea was 6-0 including 2-0 vs Japan (3-3), but Japan knocked them out with just one win in the semifinals, even though Korea beat them 2-1 in the tournament. The format didn't prove that any one team was better than another, aside from teams like Chinese Taipei and South Africa who really had no business being there in the first place.

There isn't enough time to organize a proper baseball tournament like this. It was more of a sideshow than anything else. They need half as many teams or about 3 months to play to make it valid, but they won't be doing either.

I thought it was a neat idea at first too. The format really got to me though. I'll probably go to the games again if they're here just because I like the game, but I wish they'd do something so that the superior teams actually have the chance to prove it.

It would be better if they started it earlier and then had it in a College World Series style double elimination format. A first round with 3 game series between the 16 teams, and then the 8 winners play a double elimination tournament. It would keep the sudden death excitement while still determining the best team.

Bumping this thread for Joba.

joba-the-nut.jpg

I'll be posting this whenever Joba Chamberlain does something awesome (which should be every time he pitches). I ordered one of those team t-shirts with the NY on the front and Chamberlain 62 on the back. I hope that by wearing I will gain some of his awesome.

I don't have a problem with the Diamondbacks, and apparently no one else does because I can't find any anti-Diamondbacks images. You will have to settle for this dumb sock:

2135759300x400yi0.jpg

I shouldn't be too harsh I suppose. I'm a Yankees fan too. I'll cheer for them all year. I hope they win 120 games. It's so much more satisfying to watch them faceplant in the playoffs than the regular season. Losing the wildcard to Detroit or Cleveland would be so underwhelming :(