MMA

Karmablade has, and it was aimed at Brock fan-boys (note: not fans, but fan-boys, big difference) in general. When I went to see UFC 121 the bar was full of Brock fan-boys that were talking about how he is the greatest fighter in UFC history etc etc and it really struck me how little they know about mixed martial arts.

Of course I'm generalizing an entire crowd but I've yet to meet a Brock fan-boy that actually knows anything about mixed martial arts

Must have been a lot of converted "pro wrestling" :puke: fans. I have Karma on ignore so I didn't see his statement. Obviously there are a number of better fighters in the UFC. I just didn't think they were in the Heavy Weight division.

I also hate seeing guys that are close to morbidly obese walking around in Tap Out or Affliction , etc. , when it is obvious the only things they are tapping out or afflicting are their arteries and McDonalds.

I also hate seeing guys that are close to morbidly obese walking around in Tap Out or Affliction , etc. , when it is obvious the only things they are tapping out or afflicting are their arteries and McDonalds.

:lol:

... some great fights this weekend, who do you guys have winning?

people seem to be have forgot about Rampage, when at his best he is at the top of the LHW division, and i think he'll put Machida away early and Hughes will surprise us all and give BJ his third unanimous decision loss in a row.

Yeah I'm definitely all for Rampage as I loved watching him in Pride...besides I just couldn't find myself rooting for a fighter that routinely drinks his own urine (unless it was Cro Cop of course)

I think I'm going to go with Hughes for the upset, via decision, maybe 29-28. I'm not sure how motivated Penn is, I just have a feeling he'll come in fighting how he did in his last fight and just not have it in him. Hughes seems to be in a much better mindset these days with less pressure on him and basically nothing to lose. Hughes will probably get enough takedowns so that he won't need to spend too much time striking with Penn, and control most of the fight that way. Also a lethargic Penn probably won't have it in him to get much going for him later on in the fight.

And I'll take Machida via easy decision. He'll probably play it safe like usual and pick his shots, landing the odd effective one. Being that he got knocked out last time, he might be less likely to put himself at risk. Meanwhile Rampage will probably stand in the middle of the cage just looking to land the big punch and not find it. When Rampage loses, he might not have a dynamite excuse like usual but he'll probably say it's because he just wants to fight and entertain people and he doesn't care about the title anymore.

And I forget who else is fighting, I haven't paid any attention to this event but I'll be watching it tonight.

machia should win but anything can happen, rampage is not so well rounded. Also brock will be back and he will take the belt back soon.

Wow, I was very surprised to see how motivated Penn was. It was amusing to see him making angry faces and swearing when he entered the octagon. It definitely seemed like someone has lit a fire under his ass. This is great news though, could be some great fights at 170 still to come!

And that was pretty embarrassing for Hughes, serves him right for his dickish behaviour he's shown over his career though.

And I thought Lyoto won the main event. I gave Lyoto the slight edge in round one but it was pretty even there, I'd have to re-watch. Rampage won round two and Lyoto definitely won round three.

Penn has always been like that, he's had that demeanor when walking out almost every single time throughout his career ...

Hughes is a class act, always was and will be.

i saw the fight as a draw, first round was even, second Rampage clearly controlled and third was Machidas..... but Rampage was clearly the aggressor in the fight, while Machida did a lot more running than countering.

Well this sucks...Cain Velasquez will be out for 6-8 months due to a shoulder injury so they might be having Junior Dos Santos fight Brock for the Interim HW Title instead.

Schaub vs Cro Cop in March..what the fuck?! They need to stop putting Cro Cop against these young athletic fighters and have Cro Cop go toe to toe with an oldschool PRIDE fighter again! I'd personally love to see Cro Cop vs Nogueira 2

icikxI.gif

UFC this weekend....and what a surprise it was last weekend when it was announced that Zuffa had bought Strikeforce. If Strikeforce had folded I wouldn't have been that surprised, but this announcement came out of nowhere. I guess the Strikeforce promotion will stick around until their deal with Showtime ends, and then merge?

I'm still really interested in seeing how the heavyweight tournament plays out. I think Barnett will win very easily against Rogers, he should take him down and pound on him for three rounds, if he doesn't win via submission sooner. And I'll take Overeem to to beat Werdum and avenge those losses.

I had a feeling Silva was going to beat Fedor, and I think Silva makes for a better darkhorse than Kharitonov. Kharitonov is good but I don't think he's good enough to win the tournament regardless of what he says. He had an easy match up against Arlovski, one that I don't think too many people predicted him to lose in. And I'm undecided between Silva/Overeem but the winner should face Barnett in the finals.

Regarding UFC this weekend...A lot of people are siding with Jones, in fact, many people think he is going to walk right through Shogun. Personally, I favour Shogun for many reasons. Initially, I was thinking via submission but I'm growing more confident with Shogun in this fight and I'll pick him to win via TKO. I know there's some other decent fights on the card but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Anybody that thinks Jones is going to steamroll Shogun is a fucking moron and should not hold an opinion about MMA or fighters.

If Jones is able to take Shogun down and G&P him, he'll win. If it stays on the feet the fight is in favor of Shogun. I think Shogun is going to win because he has so much experience. This fight is shaping up kind of like the original Machida-Shogun fight, where Machida was really hard to hit because of his stand up technique. The height and reach advantage Jones has will make it a little harder for Shogun to dominant on the feet, but he'll be able to get his strikes in against Jones just like he did to Machida.

The advantage goes to Shogun for two reasons: 1) He's the champ and 2) He has loads more experience is arguably one of the best PFP fighters in the world.

edit: And as far as StrikeForce goes, my money is on Overeem.

^ I agree about Shogun/Jones. I think Jones has a lot of future potential but I think he's too green to be champion at the moment. I think the potential/hype factor has convinced people to write Shogun off. The level of competition each guy has fought greatly differs, even if you compare the two at their respective ages, with Shogun having a clear advantage.

I favour Shogun on the feet and on the ground. Shogun isn't the recklessly aggressive fighter he once was, he's a much smarter fighter the last couple of years. I think he'll be in top form like he was against Machida and outpoint Jones, perhaps leg kicks being a factor too. I think Shogun is a much better striker technically, and I think he's wise enough to get past Jones' unorthodox style and exploit some weaknesses. Jones has some great weapons but I question if his style is really to his benefit as this level of competition. Even if say Jones gets the better of Shogun standing (possible but I'm doubtful), I highly doubt that would result in a KO as Shogun can definitely take a shot. And usually when Jones has success standing he will take the fight to the ground and inflict punishment, where I think he is very vulnerable to a submission especially given the way Jones almost invites submissions with his ground and pound and how good Shogun is there. I also favour Shogun as the fight goes into the later rounds. Should be an excellent fight, I'm so glad Rashad pulled out because I had very little interest in that one.

Also, Cro Cop vs Schaub. I really hope Cro Cop wins because I honestly don't see Schaub being a serious contender at heavyweight. A lot of people seem to think he has a lot of potential but I haven't really seen it. It's always tough to see Cro Cop fight these days but I hope he decides to put some combos together and throw those punches - that's what he does when he is at his best. It's just a shame he doesn't let his hands go more often, but instead waits around for an opening to throw a kick, missing countless opportunities to seize the fight, and then eventually lose in a sad fashion.

There's still a part of me that lives in denial and knows that Cro Cop will knock one more person out with the left kick before he retires.

Wow, impressive win by Jones. Working Shogun with shots to the body was brilliant on his part, it took the life right out of him. I wasn't expecting that. I would be interested in seeing Jones fight Machida, that would be an interesting style clash.

A real shame as always to see Cro Cop lose, so disheartening. Still....Perhaps he should fight Andrei Arlovski? :tickled:

I wasn't surprised by any of the other fights, except I did underestimate Dan Miller, as I thought it would be a fairly easy fight for Nate. Glad to see Faber win and shut Eddie Wineland up after his pre-fight talk.

I don't think Rashad does either. I really didn't want to even see Rashad get the title shot against Shogun but he had basically earned that.

However, I am more interested in Rashad-Jones than Rashad-Shogun. There's also a bit of a storyline brewing because they are teammates and naturally, some rumours have spread about who Jackson would corner and Rashad being a bit sour about the whole situation. Rashad was always such an advocate about not fighting teammates and I'm sure he must know that it would be wiser for Jackson to corner Jones. I've always been annoyed when people refuse to fight teammates anyways.

Did anyone else get surprised by how ridiculously gassed both Jones and Shogun were after that bout on the ground 3 minutes in the first round?