MMA

I believe Shogun was gassed because of the body shots that he endured from Jones. It didn't take too long before I was reminded of the Forrest Griffin fight...As for Jones, I remember him slowing down in his fight with Bonnar and given his wild style of fighting, I thought he would eventually slow down in this fight too. He was no where near as exhausted as Shogun was though.

This is the year where the last remanants of prides all time greats are finally beaten down :( Crocop is truly finished, Fedor and Shogun both get beaten down hard for the first time...

This is the year where the last remanants of prides all time greats are finally beaten down :( Crocop is truly finished, Fedor and Shogun both get beaten down hard for the first time...

Which is why they should pit the old PRIDE fighters against each other! I would love for some kind of UFC event where it's purely old school fighters to honor the good days. I would love a rematch between Cro Cop and Minotauro

It happens sooner or later.

Nog and Wanderlei have absorbed so much punishment in their careers, they've hardly got anything left. Cro Cop seems like he's only capable of beating cans these days. I definitely wouldn't put Shogun in this category though, he's still got years left.

And I think Fedor would benefit if he found a new place to train. He really only trains sambo and judo, and works on the same stuff with the same people. Just imagine if he trained other disciplines, and put together a strategy for each fight. That's essential to success these days, and so he's only holding himself back.

And in any case, Tim Sylvia, Andrei Arlovski, Chuck Liddell and many other UFC fighters met similar fates.

I wonder if they will have have a division that is say, 225lbs? I know there's many people vehemently opposed to it, but I don't see what the problem is.

The main reason why they had light heavyweight, and then a very broad heavyweight division was because it was perceived that beyond a certain point, the difference in weight was no longer an advantage. For a long time Nog, Fedor, Cro Cop were at the top of the division and weighing in around 230, where as nowadays guys are around 245 and very athletic. This would benefit guys like Fedor, Couture etc, and you could see guys have a chance to jump weight classes and keep their options open.

UFC tonight!

Carwin vs. Dos Santos. I think I like this match up better than Dos Santos-Lesnar honestly. In terms of excitement it really could go either way being a great fight or a very lackluster one. I think Dos Santos will win this rather easily via TKO. I've been anticipating a Cigano-Velasquez match up for quite a while now, so Dos Santos needs to win this one to make it happen!

Here are the fights with my picks in bold:
Shane Carwin vs. Junior dos Santos
Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz
Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

Yves Edwards
vs. Sam Stout
Chris Weidman vs. Jesse Bongfeldt

Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Mike Massenzio
Nick Ring vs. James Head
Dustin Poirier vs. Jason Young
Aaron Rosa vs. Joey Beltran
Darren Elkins vs. Michihiro Omigawa

*I'm really not sure about Nick Ring, I think there's a lot potential for him to look awful so I can't really pick him. I also find it difficult to pick Beltran so I'll go with Rosa. I'll lean towards Yves Edwards but that should be an interesting fight... Diego Nunes might actually pull off the upset but I'll play it safe and go with Florian via close, maybe even split decision?

Not one of UFC's best cards but it shouldn't be a bad one.

Yeah it's a shame so many injuries plagued this card. I was really looking forward to the Krzysztof vs Igor fight as well as Mac Danzig's fight.

Anyway here are my main card predictions

Shane Carwin vs. Junior dos Santos
Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes
Demian Maia vs. Mark Munoz
Jon Olav Einemo vs. Dave Herman
Donald Cerrone vs. Vagner Rocha

There's been tons of changes to the card, I can't even remember what the original one looked like.

Honestly, I think Munoz is the wise choice, Munoz is a better overall fighter for sure. I just like seeing Maia's jiu-jitsu game so I'm cheering for him win and by now, I'm hoping that Maia's striking is at least competent enough to not get obliterated. I definitely hope this fight goes to the ground because I think that would be very interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't think Munoz deserved the decision. I think you can argue round three went either way but I definitely think calling it an even round would be most accurate, though initially I had Maia winning round 3. I think the fight was probably best called a draw. Whoever scored the fight 30-27 should be shot. Maia took round one, Munoz had round 2.

Also, I had Florian winning 29-28. I wonder who the hell scored it 30-27 for Florian? I'd be interested in seeing all of the fights as I heard there was a full-out controversial decision (the Omigawa fight).

And was it just me or did Carwin look like Wanderlei Silva after round one? :lol:

Maia and Omigawa both got robbed, you'd think that since they had cageside monitors(for the first time)now that those braindead judges would get it right .... dont know how some of those judges came up with their 30-27 scores for the Omigawa/Elkins, Maia/Munoz and Florian/Nunes fights.

i knew Dos Santos was going to run all over Carwin, just didnt think it would go to the cards.

Junior beat him down so bad that Carwin started to look like Droopy...
droopy-02.JPG

So much for the idea that cageside monitors would solve a lot of problems...I think they still will, it's just a matter of the judges being morons.

And I definitely thought Dos Santos would win by TKO late in the first or early second. But I also predicted a similar outcome for his fight with Roy Nelson. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised though, he does have a boxer mentality and he likes to take his time. Great fight though. In the future I'd love to see him fight Kharitonov!

Though I might still favour Cain over Dos Santos, Cain will seriously have to learn how to block punches and defend himself if he wants to hold onto his title.

Einemo/Herman was a great fight, so back and forth. :lol:

I personally felt the Munoz decision was right as it seemed to me that he took the third round (although it was a very close round).

Totally forgot but Strikeforce this weekend! If anyone remembers the heavyweight tournament they started.

Josh Barnett should absolutely tool Brett Rogers.
And I'll take Ubereem to beat Werdum and avenge that loss.

Glad to see Barnett back in action, and with the win. I think he'll beat Kharitonov and go to the finals.

And what a odd, but understandable main event. Overeem played it safe for the most part not engaging Werdum on the ground, as Werdum lay there like he wanted his diaper changed :lol: - similar to the Arlovski/Werdum fight. Even though I consider Werdum to be a top ten HW talent, I don't think he's really going anywhere if he's not willing to really pursue takedowns and find comfort in the striking game. Moving on, as much as I like Overeem, I think Silva presents a difficult match up for him so I'll say Silva beats Overeem. I mentioned this earlier, I think Silva is the true darkhorse of the tournament, not Kharitonov, as many people believe. I'm still hoping for Overeem though.

Everytime I see Cro Cop on a card I get super excited, then I get depressed.