MMA

Fucking leg kicks, how do they work?

Now now, i did not mean that. I meant WHY throw leg kicks. Keep in mind I did not learn to fight for sport. My training is Bagua, Xingyi, Taekwondo and Savate. I hold a master's rank in the 1st 3 and a Silver 1 in Savate. My guess is it has to be some part of the sport component because in a fight outside the ring a leg kick has 0 application other than you eating someone's knuckles.

What is there not to understand about leg kicks? A shin across someones lower thigh(right above your knee) is one of the most painfull strikes that can be delivered. It's even stopped ffights before. I boxed for clost to 10 years and was lucky enough to even train with people from other combatative backgrounds ... i dont know about what kind of kicks you use in french kickboxing, but low kicks from a muay thai ighter or a dutch kickboxer are absolutely brutal and can even break the femur bone.

But, as someone who favors hands over feet, if you time a leg kick perfectly with a good counter (right cross or a left hook), the guys is going to get put to sleep.

One of the main reasons Silva broke his shin(one of the hardest parts of the body) was mainly due to the fact that he kicks hard as fuck. If that was a pansy ass kick it wouldnt have broke ....

And Krig, you block low kicks with your knee/upper shin ... it's not some sort of secret strategy, thats how everyone blocks low kicks ... you'll see it in just about every fight. It was just a freak injury.

------

Heres another low kick break. Probably the worst one ive seen in the octagon.... Corey Hill

Dale_Hartt_vs_CoreyHill_1000069.jpg

What is there not to understand about leg kicks? A shin across someones lower thigh(right above your knee) is one of the most painfull strikes that can be delivered. It's even stopped ffights before. I boxed for over 11 years and was lucky enough to even train with people from other combatative backgrounds ... i dont know about what kind of kicks you use in french kickboxing, but low kicks from a muay thai ighter or a dutch kickboxer are absolutely brutal and can even break the femur bone.

But, as someone who favors hands over feet, if you time a leg kick perfectly with a good counter (right cross or a left hook), the guys is going to get put to sleep.

Thats why i dont understand it, In bagua you are taught to side step to his rather than block it and light the guy up. Leg kicks against a fighter that doesnt hold his ground and block but instead moves fluidly is going to get you a kick in the nuts and couple with a heymaker to the face. lol

Savate does use low kicks but they are not intended to injury the leg, the are meant to knock a fight delivering blows off his balance so that he goes down to the ground. Like Taekwondo most kicks are high and generate much more force than any leg kick meant to damage the face, or ribs. Also a small fighter like myself 5'4 keeps large dudes back out of grappling range.

Can't wait for Machida vs Mousasi. Gegard's UFC debut was...lackluster to say the least. Finally he's fighting some talent, and holy shit will this fight be awesome.

Mousasi is going make me a lot of money next weekend. Stylistically, this is about as bad of a matchup as it can get for Machida. He has a undeniably better submission game and his striking is on a whole nother level. He's a former amateur boxing champion and has also went over to K-1(which inlcudes some of the worlds best strikers) and knocked out four time heavyweight champion Japanese legend Musashi in the first round and also blasted Kyotoro, who was the K-1 heavyweight beltholder at the time. Both of those guys would have annihilated Machida(along with 99% of the UFCs top strikers) on the feet within a minute or two, and this fight is going to stay on the feet, and machida is going to go to sleep, hes karate is not going to get him past a top level striker like Mousasi.

He has annihilated plenty of talented fighters, wether it was in MMA or the more elite striking world of boxing and dutch-kicboxing, but now more of the casual mainstream UFC/TUF fans will get to see what he is about when he destroys Machida.

In his debut he fought with an injured knee(torn acl), underwent surgery a day or two after the fight and even accepted the fight whith a replacement opponenet 3 days before the even took place, all of which he was widely praised for. And to top it all of, he completely shut down his opponents takedown game and showcased some of the best boxing the UFC had seen in a while. So yea, there was no vicious finish there, but it was still very impressive.

I'm thinking about putting out a few parlay bets for that event. Who do you like in the Souza-Carmont fight? I was hoping the lines would have been much closer, as i have Jacare finishing him somewhere in the first two.

Yeah I remember the problems of the debut. I was just bummed that he didn't get to fight Gustafsson. And I definitely think you're not giving Machida's stand-up enough credit. He has some quirky-as-fuck striking that can throw even the most elite strikers off their game. In the end though, I agree that Mousasi will most likely beat him, but I think it's going to be closer than you say it will be.

And yes, Jacare will have his hand held that night too. Nigga is a beast.

Yea, i was also really looking forward to seing him fight Gus. But i honestly think that he dodged Mousasi because he knew exactly what threat he was facing and that Gegard was relatively unknown in the states, so he didnt want to roll the dice and end up getting stretched out by a "unknown", especially when he was trying to lobby for a title shot.

And while Machidas standup does give him a punchers/kickers chance of winning(he clearly does have KO power in his striking), i think its slim since the guy in front of him is trained to take advantage of every little hole that strikers will leave in front of him, and Machidas striking has about more holes than i can possibly think of ... and mark my words Machidas striking isnt going to throw any top level striker off, the best striker he beat was Hendo, who we both know has a HUGE right hand, but is nowhere near being an elite striker, and that fight went to a split decision in which machida ran most of the time. Shogun is the best striker he has faced, and he put machida to sleep in the first.

Machidas stand up isnt bad, it'll get him past plenty of guys in the UFC, but honestly, i think everytime he ends up facing an elite striker, not only is he going to lose, he's going to end up getting KTFO, all because of that quirky style of his.

I want to say that it'll be a close fight too, but i truly think the fight is going to end just like the Shogun fight did, right when he leaves an opening in his striking game(which he does A LOT), hes getting put away. He isnt facing some ho-hum wrestler who learned how to strike a year or two ago or a BJJ guy who just figured out how to throw a punch ...

tumblr_laz62pytV71qbuyrk.jpg

1293477021502.JPEG

mma_e_lyoto11_576.jpg

and the fact that Mousasi is a true middleweight, but has moved up and knocked out guys in the light-heavyweight and heavyweight division is fucking impressive.

/End of my nuthugging rant, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yes, Jacare will have his hand held that night too. Nigga is a beast.

Beast indeed. That guy is championship material IMO. I'd love to ses him get a rematch with Rockhold(or maybe even Mousasi) after he beats Carmont, and then maybe even a title shot after that as it'll be his third straight win in the division. Only person i've seen fuck him up was Mousasi, and that was a fucking crazy ass finish ...

skip to the 3:00 mark guys, or 4:15 for the slow-mo replay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to watch MMA constantly, now I never watch it. No idea who the badasses are.

I use to watch it a lot. I started coming across it again on TV and the fights were just boring. And women fighting too. I do not want to seem like I have a problem with women because I don't, but it is just really boring. I like to see fighters get knocked the fuck out. It is all dumbed down now.

Yea, that's also one of the main reasons why i dont really support the UFC anymore. I will never pay for a PPV that has broads "fighting". Dana has turned the UFC into a fucking circus and is slowly ruining the sport. I remember when he was saying that women will never fight in the UFC, but then he showed once again that he is nothing more than a money hungry faggot whos opinions can be easily bought.

Chicks headlining a UFC ppv event? Give me a fucking break. He is handling it more like a prowrestling circuit rather than a legitamate fight organization. While he may have gotten all these casuals and chicks watching now, he has lost a shit load of the original fans, the ones that wouldnt miss an event and follow the organization religiously, all for a group of people who will probably not even be watching the sport a year or two from now ... and probably wouldnt even be able to name you a single beltholder from the past.

I miss the good ole PRIDE days. That was the definition of what mixed martial arts is/was. Most guys in the sport nowadays arent even actual fighters, they're just athletes who are ruining/have ruined the true spirit of the sport. Basically the UFC is catering to the retarded casuals, which is pretty fucking sad ... but thats going to fuck them over in the long run, so whatever.

edit: Oh and welcome back mayne!

I thought it was a pretty lackluster fight. Neither guy did much. Mousasi just kept walking him down, but the speed difference was huge. He fucked me over on the parlay, I had Souza, Oliviera, Silva and Proctor. I had a gut feeling to take Mousasi out and just put a straight bet on him but whatever.

And what, just a mere week later this fucking ref derps even worse...

ipm_gif.jpg

Yeah that was a nice KO. Was a pretty good card. Highlight was easily Corassani vs Poirier, what a battle!