Monitor Stands

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
...at the moment I'm using the QUIK LOK BS300, but I have to say I'm really a bit concerned about them not holding my O300 safely.
So I'm in the market for another par, so far I found and considered the MS45B which seem to be pretty stable (and also expensive), my worries are that they are like 10cm higher than what I have set mine to now.
these might also be interesting 80-113-SB

do you have any good recommendations for really good (but not too expensive) monitor stands?

You need ones that you can fill with sand or lead shot, Lasse. The standard flimsy models are nearly useless.

I got these back when the dollar was good: http://www.ultimatesupport.com/s.nl/it.A/id.778/.f

They do the job and will allow you to fill them to increase their mass once they've been positioned. The Opals with their rubber decoupling thingy fit on them perfectly.

However the holy grail of monitor stands are the Sound Anchors: http://www.soundanchors.com/

It's all about mass!

Seeing how Lasse's place and monitors are not temporary (mmm...KH O 300 [/simpsons]) it was the first suggestion that came to mind. It is probably quite a lot of work, though, and more importantly quite time consuming and time is always an issue when you're booked full. Still, are you considering it, Lasse?

You need ones that you can fill with sand or lead shot, Lasse. The standard flimsy models are nearly useless.

I got these back when the dollar was good: http://www.ultimatesupport.com/s.nl/it.A/id.778/.f

They do the job and will allow you to fill them to increase their mass once they've been positioned. The Opals with their rubber decoupling thingy fit on them perfectly.

thanks, I think I'm gonna get those.
an also the metal grill for the 0300....doesn't look as good and it's 60fucking € per grille but I'm afraid of ruining the speakers.

I thought about soffit mounting, but that means an aditional drywall that'll change the now perfect ratio...plus, if the soffit mointing isn't done perfectly or if there's a flaw in the drywall construction (resonances etc) it'll be more harm than use....I'd rather go with good stands in the perfect position in the room

i got 2 K&M 26740, which are in the usual great K&M Quality and Rock Solid, and i built me also a kind of "cage" for the monitors because i was afraid too that somehow they could fall down.

the wooden cage is mounted onto the metal baseplate that was supplied with the K&M (i dont remember if they were supplied or if ordered them separatly)
Stand.jpg

Ah, good point about the ratios. I took it for granted that an AE has to settle with rooms that were not intended for Audio-related stuff in the first place, since, sadly, it's so often the case. As for the benefits vs potential harm I still reckon it's a good investment, especially since you're using the KHs as a fullrange system. Maybe Oz can share some first-hand impressions, for the sake of the discussion, even though you've decided already.

an also the metal grill for the 0300....doesn't look as good and it's 60fucking € per grille but I'm afraid of ruining the speakers.

I thought about soffit mounting, but that means an aditional drywall that'll change the now perfect ratio...plus, if the soffit mointing isn't done perfectly or if there's a flaw in the drywall construction (resonances etc) it'll be more harm than use....I'd rather go with good stands in the perfect position in the room

We had a metal shop around the corner from our studio, so we made our own. steel tube in the right height, welded to a floor-plate and the speaker platform has a hole, so we can fill it with sand. Cheaper than a dedicated stand, and these babies will survive a bomb. ;)

With that solution, you can get the perfect speaker stands for your place, without being forced to sell a kidney to be able to afford it. :)

^if i were you, lasse, i would take this guy's experience to heart and see if there's a welding shop around that can fabricate something for you - potentially for way less than a pair of stands through a retailer!

DIY mofo.

Mine = 4 x PVC pipes, 8 x PVC end brackets (to attach to tops/bottoms and keep the sand in!), 4 wooden shelves (2 x tops + 2 x bottoms), 2 x 20kg bags of kiddie sand, 1 x rubber door mat (cut in half and put under each stand for decoupling purposes) 1 x can Moro (ccan Red spray paint. Assemble and stick 4 monitors on 'em:

[Not the clearest photos but...]

studiomain.JPG

monitors.JPG

Did I miss something? How would this happen? Do you make a habit of juggling knives while bouncing tracks or something? :lol:

Hmm, good point - stupid "talent" :rolleyes: Do those grilles cover the tweeters, though? I'd imagine that might actually make an audible difference (though I guess for intense mixing most of the band wouldn't be there so you could take the grilles off)

Knowing KH's reputation I'd guess they would make the most sound-transparent grills physically possible :)

BTW, never underestimate the fact that even smart people can do very stupid things. A couple of days ago I had some guests and three of 4 people that came into the room at different points in time felt an unstoppable urge to touch the woofer on one of my A7s. Good thing they didn't poke the cone :mad:

Knowing KH's reputation I'd guess they would make the most sound-transparent grills physically possible :)

BTW, never underestimate the fact that even smart people can do very stupid things. A couple of days ago I had some guests and three of 4 people that came into the room at different points in time felt an unstoppable urge to touch the woofer on one of my A7s. Good thing they didn't poke the cone :mad:

yeah, I've got broadband absorbers at the side walls (absorbent material/rockwool covered with cloth)....everyone feels the urge to lean against it and thus stretch the cloth and make the once smooth and even look look shabby and denty.
EVERYONE slams his guit on the woodfloor (like letting it drop between the legs when sitting down, holding the neck, rear of the body (strapknob) on the floor), so that the strab-knob leaves a round mark in my wood floor every time.
the problem I think is that most of the younger musicians don't live in their own place etc but at their parent'S....and they just don't think about stuff like not dropping the garbage on the floor, not spilling water over woodfloor etc. makes me wanna killl people