Moontower resemblence

paradoxile

Den Sista Ljusbäraren
Jul 20, 2004
Israel
myspace.com
Is it me or does Moontower sounds quite like Ayreon or Space one or any other space metal band Arjen Lucassen has formed(only with Dan growling)?

I have never consciously drawn any resemblemce between Moontower and Arjen's work. That is, other than the fact that they both have guitars, drums, keyboards, etc.

But, really, I think it's a totally different vibe.

Moontower is, as every Arjen-related album, very 70's prog rock inspired. That may be the reason you likened them.

I think Dan should join forces with Arjen again in the future. Together they can create amazing stuff.

That one drum part in Encounterparts is *exactly* like the one drum part in Day Eighteen.

But yeah. The keyboards in Moontower aren't really similar to any of Arjen's projects, however, a few songs on I are. Drowning in Sadness, for example.

I didn't notice any sort of resemblance to Arjen-related bands in Dan's music until AFTER he worked with him on Star One. There are TONS of "Holy cow, that sounds like Ayreon.." on the last two Ngale albums.

Lots of similarities can be drawn in Dan's projects. Hell, one listen of Revival would tell you that Dan LOVES King's X. The opening riff is almost an EXACT copy of a King's X tune. Rush, Yes, Kansas... lots of bands have influenced Mr. Swano.

I _THINK_ the instrument that might make you think they sound similar is the Mellotron? I'm not sure totally if this is the instrument that makes "the" 70's prog rock sounds. However, that is where the comparison would stop. Moontower is a very unique record and I've never heard anything that sounds like it.

Mosquito said:
I _THINK_ the instrument that might make you think they sound similar is the Mellotron? I'm not sure totally if this is the instrument that makes "the" 70's prog rock sounds. However, that is where the comparison would stop. Moontower is a very unique record and I've never heard anything that sounds like it.

You mean the Moog-sound. Mellotron isn't used on Moontower, but on some Nightingale tracks.

Ah, a mellotron. Yes, that's listed as one of Per's instruments in the new Opeth and the keyboards in Beneath the Mire for example are quite similar to Drowning in Sadness and Remorse and Regret.

I always thought that was a hammond
icon_redface.gif

Wait a second, I don´t hear a Mellotron in Remorse And Regret, nor do I hear one in Drawning In Sadness - that IS a hammond, or at least a rock organ.

Beneath The Mire features a Mellotron though, but I can´t remember hearing one in Nightingale songs.

kokonik said:
Wait a second, I don´t hear a Mellotron in Remorse And Regret, nor do I hear one in Drawning In Sadness - that IS a hammond, or at least a rock organ.

Beneath The Mire features a Mellotron though, but I can´t remember hearing one in Nightingale songs.

A Mellotron is nothing else than a sampler. Just old and with Tapes that deliver the sounds.
In "Eternal" there's a Mellotron choir sound used for example.
Famous sounds are strings, violins and coir I'd say.

Yeah, you could probably also count brass sounds as a pretty famous mellotron sound.
Man I just love that scratchy mellotron-string sound like it´s used by King Crimson :D

madu said:
Ah, a mellotron. Yes, that's listed as one of Per's instruments in the new Opeth and the keyboards in Beneath the Mire for example are quite similar to Drowning in Sadness and Remorse and Regret.

I always thought that was a hammond
icon_redface.gif

yeah it sounds kinda like a B4.

Master_Debater said:
You've got to be kidding me. Elegy is very identical to Moontower. Dunno if a lot of people have heard of the album, though.

They're not similar at all, Moontower is death metal / prog rock and Elegy is folk / acid rock / metal. :) The sound... well, I just don't find them similar in anyway, and I've heard those two albums quite a few times in my short lifetime.

And I'm sure everyone's heard it, it was probably one of the 5 best albums that came out in all of the 1990s (and I think a lot of people feel that Amorphis hasn't been able to equal that effort).