More Audix Madness

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
I borrowed a Dual Rectifier from work the other day since I'd never played through one and wanted to try it out. I also borrowed an Audix i5 mic (and purchased a D6), so I figured I should be a good Sneap forum member and post a clip in case anyone's interested.
Excuse my crappy drumming. As you can tell, I'm not a drummer. :err: No triggers/samples in this clip, obviously.

Mics:

Guitar Cab-i5
Kick-D6
Snare Top-i5
Snare Bottom-Studio Projects C1
Overheads-Oktava MK-012

Here's the clip.

Just wondering, Matt, where exactly did you place the kick to grab so much of the attack?

At the school studio I'm confined to either using a Beta 52 or a D112, and no matter where I seem to place it I get that 'beachball-hitting-floor' sound - none of this defined attack.

Moonlapse said:
Just wondering, Matt, where exactly did you place the kick to grab so much of the attack?

At the school studio I'm confined to either using a Beta 52 or a D112, and no matter where I seem to place it I get that 'beachball-hitting-floor' sound - none of this defined attack.

I'm in the same ballpark. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with using quality heads on the kick drum. It's real hard to get a sweet "kiss" sound as opposed to the beachball sound.

As for the Boogie, I bummed it off some guy I met at a studio here in town. ;)

About the kick, I didn't really do much to get that clicky sound, as the D6 has crazy high end. I did add a little upper midrange though. Positioning was just a few inches back from where the beater hits (inside the drum, of course), pointing at where the beater hits.
But on the "produced" version, that's just Andy's kick sample, untouched.

Thanks, man. You didn't do anything like tape two coins to the beater point? Had a drummer do that at a session and acoustically it gave that really clicky sound, haha.

I'm still amazed at how Sneap-esque the drums sound on the more produced version of the track. If that was just done with the samples he shared with us, then I'm very excited.

IMO, the D6 will get you very close right out of the box. Much more so than a D112 or Beta52, and I'd say it works better for me than an RE20 and the ND868, though I only tried the ND868 once.

It's not particularly placement sensitive, and no beachball to be found anywhere as far as I can tell.

Tune drum, shove mic in, record, eq/compress, enjoy.

I really want to try the D6 with a subkick or some kind of homebrew speaker mic now.

Matt Smith said:
As for the Boogie, I bummed it off some guy I met at a studio here in town. ;)

About the kick, I didn't really do much to get that clicky sound, as the D6 has crazy high end. I did add a little upper midrange though. Positioning was just a few inches back from where the beater hits (inside the drum, of course), pointing at where the beater hits.
But on the "produced" version, that's just Andy's kick sample, untouched.

Matt, Maybe that top end is something about all audix's, I got i5 and I can clearly say that it has a lot of top end compared to our beloved sm57.
I had to move it a lot off centre compared with what I did usually with my trusty sm57.
sm57 boomy, i5 "top end-ish"

Maurizio

57 boomy? Can't say I've ever had that. I find that the 57 is naturally very shy on lows and very rich on high mids... 'Boomy' only factored into it when I mic'ed a cab with a 421.

But to say that the i5 is even more bright than the 57... that's to say it's really really bright. Will definately have to try one - with the results some people here have been getting with it, it definately warrants a look into.

black sugar said:
IMO, the D6 will get you very close right out of the box. Much more so than a D112 or Beta52, and I'd say it works better for me than an RE20 and the ND868, though I only tried the ND868 once.

It's not particularly placement sensitive, and no beachball to be found anywhere as far as I can tell.

Tune drum, shove mic in, record, eq/compress, enjoy.

I really want to try the D6 with a subkick or some kind of homebrew speaker mic now.

Is there a difference between the black and silver D6's?