More Audix Madness

Moonlapse said:
57 boomy? Can't say I've ever had that. I find that the 57 is naturally very shy on lows and very rich on high mids... 'Boomy' only factored into it when I mic'ed a cab with a 421.

57 has a more pronounced proximity effect compared to the audix i5.
I usually set my sm57 off centre (a little bit away from the centre of the cone) I can say that in the same pos i5 is brighter and has less bottom end.
Of course with sm57 you have a lot of top end, but not so much as i5.
With sm57 I have to roll off all the frequencies from 60hz and below and compress with c4, with audix I just compress with c4 and all is ok.
What I like most, is a comb with all 2 mics used together, I keep the top end from audix and bottom end from sm57, this rules for sure! one set to the centre the other away.

Maurizio

Speaking of black vs. silver and micing guitar cabs, I scored an original black e609 off ebay a little while ago.

Compared to the silver e609, the sm57, and the i5, the black e609 has a very flat freq response, but still has the pretty generous proximity effect. It's a great balance to the sm57 and gives me some nice options for micing different setups.

Check out these response charts. Take 'em with a grain of salt, but it's pretty interesting how similar the silver e609 and the sm57 are. The i5 chart looks like a 57 with some extra low end response. It's cool how the black e609 chart demonstrates the proximity effect.

sm57
sm57.jpg

silver e609
e609silver.jpg

black e609
e609black.jpg

i5
audixi5.jpg

I just sold an e609 silver. I don't know if I just had a bum one or what, but I despised it--my least favorite mic I've ever used. I could not get it to sound good on anything. Drums especially--it was awful.
I'm sure the black ones are better though (I believe they're more expensive, probably closer to the old 409s).

Matt Smith said:
I just sold an e609 silver. I don't know if I just had a bum one or what, but I despised it--my least favorite mic I've ever used. I could not get it to sound good on anything. Drums especially--it was awful.
I'm sure the black ones are better though (I believe they're more expensive, probably closer to the old 409s).

i own both and i can see what you mean. the black 609 is way fuller and smoother and has better low end defintion than the silver version. i scored a black 609 on ebay for 109.95 brand new from a store on ebay. thats the same price as the silver. im always amazed, there are some people on ebay who really just want to dump stuff. i would definetley recomend checkin out the black one because its very different from the silver. i like it as much as the i5s. i think its just as good, just different, both deliver totally usable guitar tones if you want something different than a 57. the silver 609 is ok on some amps though, but the black one almost always sounds better.

Matt Smith said:
I borrowed a Dual Rectifier from work the other day since I'd never played through one and wanted to try it out. I also borrowed an Audix i5 mic (and purchased a D6), so I figured I should be a good Sneap forum member and post a clip in case anyone's interested.
Excuse my crappy drumming. As you can tell, I'm not a drummer. :err: No triggers/samples in this clip, obviously.

Mics:

Guitar Cab-i5
Kick-D6
Snare Top-i5
Snare Bottom-Studio Projects C1
Overheads-Oktava MK-012

Here's the clip.

That’s some pretty amazing guitar sounds you got there Matt!! May I ask witch cabinet you were using and mike placement/EQ’ing?

Nice job!