More mixing practice (real drums blah blah blah)

here's my mix. no samples, just mixed what was provided.

http://min.us/mKnuw3wBN

some feedback (dunno if your looking for any but it always helps to have a 2nd opinion)

i personally thought the keys werent cutting through the mix, the leads seemed a bit low and weak, id eq those different to the rhythms, snare, vocals & toms were a too dry.

the Engl blackmore which i tracked the guitars through is nutorious for lacking balls so id probably eq the guitars in the lows mids to beef them up.

got a evh 5150 mkiii in the post pitty i couldnt use that instead really.

some feedback (dunno if your looking for any but it always helps to have a 2nd opinion)

i personally thought the keys werent cutting through the mix, the leads seemed a bit low and weak, id eq those different to the rhythms, snare, vocals & toms were a too dry.

the Engl blackmore which i tracked the guitars through is nutorious for lacking balls so id probably eq the guitars in the lows mids to beef them up.

got a evh 5150 mkiii in the post pitty i couldnt use that instead really.

thanks, I appreciate your feedback.
vocals (hall reverb), snare and toms (both plate)have a fair amount of reverb on them. I don't know how I can make them less dry, any hints on that? I don't want to drown them.

take away the plate reverb and try a short/medium bright gated reverb on snare and toms.
cut some low off the strings, add some eq around 3/6k to get them cutting through.

id try a low pass filter on the guitars take away some of the fizz, again i think the guitars need more depth in the mids.

not sure on the vocals but maybe the above might give the vocals more breathing space.

Im no expert, this is just what id generally try out after hearing your mix.

This was definitely a fun one! Great sounding tracks, epic song.

It's still far from perfect, but certainly getting there. I think it's pretty hard to give the guitars/vocals/keys a place in the mix without overpowering each other (Also EQ wise) so that was definitely a learning curve for me :)

You might wanna turn up the volume a bit. Not mastered, not limited. Only some masterbuss compression

Last edited by a moderator:
Update

Had a few hours spare today so in the 2hours we cleared a few unwanted frequencys from the project
we will get back to this track as time allows:)

Thanks reneisgod good Song mate:)

S1770

Last edited by a moderator: