Morngingrise or Ghost Reveries

• Morningrise

Votes: 75 52.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 69 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ghost Reveries.

Morningrise has not really grown on me yet. I do enjoy Orchid.

Sickman said:
Morningrise. ALL of Opeth's albums have a unique atmosphere to them, but I think Morningrise has the darkest, coldest atmosphere. My Arms, Your Hearse is very close behind this one. As the person above me said, Morningrise is a more emotional listen.

You've summed it up best of all I think.

Morningrise has a unique quality to it that sounds cold and dark. Personally I think it shits on Ghost Reveries and every other Opeth release. The Night and The Silent Water is my all time favourite Opeth track, Advent is my favourite intro and To Bid You farewell my favourite (mostly) acoustic track. Unparallelled and also their most consistent album. Every second is perfection.

I love both and the production is better on GR but MR is such an emotional listen. MR is a masterpiece before its time. BRI is my favorite song and TNASW is a close second. Advent is awesome and Nectar doesn't get the attention it deserves. To Bid You Farewell is just a classic.

Morningrise. Three instruments working in together perfectly. mmmm

I strongly disagree with Moonlapse. The lack of maturity in the songwriting is half the charm of that album.

I don't think technical maturity has anything to do with songwriting. Sure I enjoy some of Opeth's more virsituo moments, but it isn't necessarily the only thing to set a mood. Sometimes I'd rather listen to some simple melodies and progressions rather then speed and diversity.

Morningrise. I can't seem to get myself into Ghost Reveries at all. I prefer the earlier to the latter.

i can't vote for this...
there are songs i love on morningrise... ones that right now i love more than some on GR... but i've not had as much time with the new one, so i can't say.

Sure seems to be alot of polls in this forum. I can't even vote on this one. Morningrise for the longest time has always been my favored Opeth album, but all of their records are so perfect, and timed so well with one another I can't just vote it over the current masterpiece. It's not often a band can take 5 songs and have them blend so perfectly in 65 minutes (not counting Green Carnation's 1 song epic). I'll leave it at that :) .

BlackenedDawn said:
Sure seems to be alot of polls in this forum. I can't even vote on this one. Morningrise for the longest time has always been my favored Opeth album, but all of their records are so perfect, and timed so well with one another I can't just vote it over the current masterpiece. It's not often a band can take 5 songs and have them blend so perfectly in 65 minutes (not counting Green Carnation's 1 song epic). I'll leave it at that :) .

What About Edge Of Sanity's - Crimson Album : )
it's exactly 40 minutes long... such a masterpiece...
-Fuzzy

Morningrise is probably my favorite Opeth album. Like someone else said, it's more emotional. I also really dig the harmonizing guitars and I actually like the bass lines, they are very original. Also, it has To Bid You Farewell.