Morngingrise or Ghost Reveries

• Morningrise

Votes: 75 52.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 69 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Korlich said:
Well it´s called an opinion. And if it´s so wrong then name me a more repetetive/slow/boring opeth song. The only one I can see that comes close is Wreath, and at least wreath doesn´t take 3 minutes before getting started.

Looks like somebody doesn't know anything nor care about a little thing called atmosphere. I laugh at you more for not even realizing that repitition can be a very good thing when you asked me to name one more repetitive. Same with slow. I forgot, slow definitely means bad, i mean... it's very obvious. That's why the best Opeth songs are the fastest ones, and the worst are the slowest. I mean, only an idiot wouldn't be able to see this absolute FACT. I'm afraid i can't do anything now but consider you musically inept, and thus i can't relate to you or talk to you any more about music. It would be too painful listening to someone who knows nothing about the things i love most in music as if he's got it all figured out, and he's never even once experienced it or thought about it properly.

and the winner is.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................MORNINGRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morningrise by far. It has Advent, BRI, and TBYF. That trio > any other trio on any of their albums.

still life is an awesome album, I was listening to that one alot for a couple days. But I don't get why like at least 50% of the opeth fan base praises that to all hell. I ask...what about it, in one brief sentence makes it the best over albums like bwp, my arms, morningrise? I'll admit the songwriting is more mature than the previous albums, but still...come on guys what is it? Is it it's postive vibe? I don't want any philosophical long drawn out sentences now....
an album with april ethereal, when, demon of the fall, credence, amen corner, karma, along with their amazing interludes....moonlapse vertigo has nothing on that shit. hee hah

^Indeed, probably one of the most logical posts I have seen on this board in a while. While SL probably has the most energetic songs of any opeth album, it lacks some of the atmosphere and raw emotion the aformentioned albums have. Hell, I think BWP's got more emotion on it than SL. Maybe all these other fans like it because it is more of a straightforward rock album more so than the others. While it is very good, I feel it does fall short of the greatness of some of opeths other accomplishments.

I totally disagree.

Still Life has the most pace out of any Opeth album (barring perhaps GR), so I don't feel it's the most energetic at all. It feels balanced just right... kind of like those generic cereal adverts. I definately don't like it because it's a 'more straightforward rock' album. Having learned about 50% of SL and 50% of BWP respectively on guitar, I can tell you that BWP is the more straightforward of the two. To me, Still Life is still Opeth's magnum opus. I get a bit irked when people try to downplay its greatness :)

BWP, I feel, is easily the most 'energetic' out of their albums. The album is unrelenting, it's almost constantly pressing... The Leper Affinity, Funeral Portrait, Dirge, BWP, they all have their acoustic interludes but throughout their entirety they just keep pounding at you.

Mumblefood said:
Looks like somebody doesn't know anything nor care about a little thing called atmosphere. I laugh at you more for not even realizing that repitition can be a very good thing when you asked me to name one more repetitive. Same with slow. I forgot, slow definitely means bad, i mean... it's very obvious. That's why the best Opeth songs are the fastest ones, and the worst are the slowest. I mean, only an idiot wouldn't be able to see this absolute FACT. I'm afraid i can't do anything now but consider you musically inept, and thus i can't relate to you or talk to you any more about music. It would be too painful listening to someone who knows nothing about the things i love most in music as if he's got it all figured out, and he's never even once experienced it or thought about it properly.

For your information I love atmosphere on Opeth records. Which is why Orchid is a my second or third fav Opeth album. And i still don´t see why repetiveness in general should be a good thing.

Secondly when I say TBYF is very slow I don´t say I hate all slow opeth songs. And your logic fails completely when you say that I love all the fast Opeth songs. If you had read my posts u would know that I don´t really like Wreath which is prolly the fastest Opeth song ever.

Finally I can only laugh at your conclusion that you will not speak to anybody with a diff. opinion than youself.

Moonlapse said:
Wow, they're breaking even. I'm really at a loss. I figured that GR would win by a landslide.
Why would you figure that? Morningrise is a classic landmark album, GR was barely relesed. It's like comparing Metallica's St. Anger to Master of Puppets, clearly most would go for MOP over SA, the same holds true here. Just my two cents. ;)

shark22 said:
Why would you figure that? Morningrise is a classic landmark album, GR was barely relesed. It's like comparing Metallica's St. Anger to Master of Puppets, clearly most would go for MOP over SA, the same holds true here. Just my two cents. ;)
Agreed. Ask us again in a few years. ;)

shark22 said:

Either that's the misanalogy of the century, or you're one of the people who shares the view that Opeth have sold out and compromised their musical integrity on GR. Likening it to St Anger is hardly fair to them.

The deal with Morningrise is, if it were released today, people would think 'what the hell?'. As Mike said himself, that album is a very typical document of that time. His/their songwriting was still very underdeveloped. There were some lush ideas, but they wear thin after repeated listens (or after playing them repeatedly on an instrument). The songs are huge cut and paste jobs that never really go anywhere. It's just an album full of ultimately meandering and pointless dual guitar playoffs.

GR is the most structured album they've put out to date. Its sense of pacing, combined with the thoughtful arrangement of individual parts makes it the most cohesive and mature record they've done so far. The ideas they experiment with through it actually feel like Opeth have achieved this goal to unite an array of genres under the one banner. It doesn't sound like a cheesy 'heavy-soft-heavy-soft-solo-soft-heavy' metal record. Barring perhaps the length of The Grand Conjuration, the album itself doesn't feel forced. Whereas the song Black Rose Immortal is quite probably the most forced song of all time. You can tell that at the outset of that song, there was the overriding idea that 'this song is gonna be 20 mins long' which essentially made them jam as much unrelated stuff in there as possible, hit 'full power' on the blender and come out with the strangest climatic/anti-climatic mesh of ideas I've heard.

To me there is no comparison. I can't even comprehend why people would pick Morningrise. It simply doesn't compute.

Finally, I should add that I see nothing 'landmark' about Morningrise at all. What it did, I feel Orchid did much better. The album as a whole is more energetic and it doesn't try to convey some very blunt sense of sorrow. The riffs are less monotonous and more triumphant (and who can go past cock-rock? :)).

With Morningrise, it's all about the atmosphere. Whether or not Ghost Reveries is Opeth's most cohesive album, it still definitely lacks the atmosphere that their other albums have. And I already find myself not being interested in listening to Ghost Reveries anymore. I listened to it to death for like two months straight, but a lot of that was just because it was the new Opeth album and not necessarily how much enjoyment I got out of it. I think it's a good album, but I don't think it will really stand out as being one of their best when we look back at it a few years from now.

Morningrise is my favorite album of all time, of any genre, and I've spent more time with it than any other album.

I don't know how one could compare Ghost Reveries to Morningrise honestly.. Morningrise just has this flow and unity to it, to me it's like it's one song. It has this timelessness that I don't think has been matched in their catalogue, like someone from any era of time could listen to it and if they were open minded enough, be blown away. I love all of Opeth but nothing has stood by me over the years and jammed itself into my head like Morningrise.

Yeah yeah, I sound like a real pretentious cocksuckin fruitcake. But Morningrise is the shit.

*And I'd like to add that the bass is beautiful. Mendez is alright but he doesn't make the bass stand out as it's own instrument like DeFarfalla. DeFarfalla was one of my favorite parts of older Opeth.