Morningrise 1991-1996?

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
the Morningrise booklet says that the songs were written during the years 1991-1996. but Orchid was released in 94, right? which songs on Morningrise are the oldest? I think it's awesome...Mikael must have been at the age of 20-22 in 1991, if I'm correct.

I think it probably took them 5 years to compile all the great parts that are within that album, its not too hard to believe. Simply some great riffs didn't fit into any part of the songs on Orchid'

what i figure is, they WROTE the lyrics along with those on Orchid, and intented for them to end up in that album, but given the circumstances, they put it in morningrise...

yeah!

a surrogate of BRi can be found on the rehearsal tape, on the song "untitled". also, excerpts from advet can be found on the 2 bonus tracks on the re-release of orchid and morningrise (into the frost... & eternal soul torture). the night and the silent water was written after the departure of mike's grandfather, so i think it's one of the newest.

mike was born in 1974, so he was 17 in 1991, and he was 21 when orchid was released in 1995

The unique more speed metal/maidenesque/traditional/ riffing style has been commented on this site many times before. Orchid in this regard at a closer listening stands as one of their most unique yet also flawed musical statements.
The more I listen to Orchid the more I like it. I still do not gravitate to the adulation that Morningrise garners. For me it is their most overrated album-because of a certain section in a certain song. There is no denying Opeth's brilliance in BRI but hey for me it not enough.
The change I heard that was refreshing was the Coroner driven Deliverance. Now that is progression and also an awareness of the less is more thing.

opethpainter said:
yeah!

a surrogate of BRi can be found on the rehearsal tape, on the song "untitled". also, excerpts from advet can be found on the 2 bonus tracks on the re-release of orchid and morningrise (into the frost... & eternal soul torture). the night and the silent water was written after the departure of mike's grandfather, so i think it's one of the newest.

mike was born in 1974, so he was 17 in 1991, and he was 21 when orchid was released in 1995

In our band, we're also starting to write lyrics now. I'm also 17. Good timing ;).