Most depressing song you know?

rvanderholst said:
Am i the only one that appreciates extreme slow doom?? bands like MOURNING BELOVETH, MORGION, ESOTERIC and SKEPTICISM?? REVEREN BIZARRE??

no one. Thats depressiveness in its most primitive form!!!

I don't agree. I don't find these bands depressing. Sometimes they can come off as silly. It's not about being slow, and playing heavy downtuned guitars, or making deep noise. It's about emotion, and the emotion it pulls from the listener. When a band over does it in this extreme, it becomes almost stale. I do like some of the music from these bands, but I think as far as depressive music, it is built on different elements some bands are too scared to add to their music, because they will be crucified by the doom-metal nazis. It's silly to trap yourself into any mold.

empyrium - dying brokenhearted
anathema- one last goodbye
lacrimas pr.... - black swans
m.d.b - roads (portishead cover)
opeth - in my time of need, to bid you farewell
statovarius- forever
gokhan kirdar - yerine sevemem (turkish pop music)
baris manco - gule gule oglum (also turkish )

Novembers Paul said:
I don't agree. I don't find these bands depressing. Sometimes they can come off as silly. It's not about being slow, and playing heavy downtuned guitars, or making deep noise. It's about emotion, and the emotion it pulls from the listener. When a band over does it in this extreme, it becomes almost stale. I do like some of the music from these bands, but I think as far as depressive music, it is built on different elements some bands are too scared to add to their music, because they will be crucified by the doom-metal nazis. It's silly to trap yourself into any mold.
Although I like some of those bands, I totally agree with the above statement. I find most songs from the below bands depressing:

Avec Tristesse
Dimness Through Infinity
Doomsword
Ebola Joy
Evereve(the first two albums)
Forest Of Shadows
Katatonia
Kimaera
Klimt 1918
Mar De Grises
Memoria
My Dying Bride
Novembers Doom
Novembre
Officium Triste
On Thorns I Lay
Orphaned Land
Riverside
Silentium
Still It Cries
The Old Dead Tree
The Wounded
Whispering Gallery

There are lots more, but these are the ones that are currently in my mp3 player. Btw. the best, most depressing songs from Baris Manco are "Gulpembe" and "Kol Dugmeleri". "Arapsaci" from Erkin Koray is quite depressing too.

Most of these songs I wouldn't say they are depressing but full of sadness/despair.

Nightwish-Dead Boy's Poem
Queen - The Show Must go On (especially since this was the last CD Mercury made)
Black Sabbath - Lonely is the Word/Over and Over
Queensryche - I will remember/Suite Sister Mary
Dream Theater - Space Dye Vest
Rainbow - Rainbow Eyes/Temple of the King
Antimatter - Angelic (pretty much most of their songs)
Dead Soul Tribe - Regret (very upbeat song but none-the-less still sad in its own way)
Evergrey - For Every Tear that Falls
Blackmore's Night - I still remember
Kamelot - Sailorman's Hymn
Porcupine Tree - Trains
Marillion - Runaway Girl
Psychotic Waltz - My Grave
Pain of Salvation - Ashes
...countless too many too list :)

Right now, the two songs that come to mind are...

When The Tigers Broke Free- Pink Floyd

The Jeweler- This Mortal Coil

Ironically, alot of doom metal, or metal in general, doesn't depress me in the slightest. "Moody", perhaps, but not depressing.