Most Important Bands of the Decades

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
I can't remember if this topic has been discussed or not, but it came up on the Blind Guardian forums, and I thought it might be fun to see what you all think here. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90s, and 2000's if you please...

60's: The Beatles. Obviously, the revolutionized the music scene and introduced the first real Rock element. An extreme honorable mention goes to The Rolling Stones, who made it OK to be very, very underground, and still have a very large following. One of these bands is still touring, the other's members are mostly dead...

70's: Black Sabbath. They took what the Stones did to the next level, with Randy writing 'horror' music, as it were, it was dark and creepy and caused the entire lead in to the metal 'rebel revolution'. For indeed, they were the fathers of a new, darker side of music, daring to not make pop. Honorable Mention to Judas Priest, who I believe are the true fathers of Metal. While Sabbath laid down the sound, Priest laid out the style that would catch on and become 80's party like glam, eventually evolving into the Metal we hear today. I wanted to say Priest was the most important band of the 70's, but realistically, Sabbath edges them by a hair.

Speaking of Hair:

80's: Iron Maiden. The 80's was about Metal, no doubt about it, there can be no arguments, it's simply what it was. Kicking off in 1980 with Iron Maiden and closing in 1988 with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. They were the undisputed champions of the genere and the decade. Honorable Mention to Metallica, who continued on the underground yet, hugely famous, tradition of the Stones.

90's: This is difficult. Alternative or Grunge rock was definitely THE in thing of the 90's. I don't think any band really stood head and shoulders above any other band in this time frame except maybe Nirvana. And even then only because they, like Sabbath and the Beetles, were the pioneers of their sound. Do I think they were the most important band of the 90's? Maybe, but only because they got the jump and did it first. It could've easily been Bush. On the other hand, there was a surprising resurgance of Hard Rock, expemlified and headed by Pearl Jam's release of 10, their reluctance to actually release videos, and high energy concerts. Nirvana was good, but Pearl Jam of the 90's is the stuff of Legends. Honorable Mention to the Smashing Pumpkins. My affinity for them has been made known already.

2000's: Blink 182. Every Decade seems to usher in a new style and sound, and Blink 182 brought in some originality, taking the best elements of Punk and Rock and not creating so much "Punk Rock" as something completely different. Their goal seems to be to make music fun again, and there seems to be quite a fair number of 'Blink Clones' out there in the Pop world. Sadly, for Blink 182, Travis..who is a phenominal drummer, especially, I believe they opened the flood gates for these awful EMO bands' sound, like them or not, they are predominant in today's highschool generation. Without Blink 182's sound, these bands would probably be very different.

60's Beatles no doubt, but as honorable mention, i have to say Jefferson Airplane

70's hmmmmm Santana has to be it in my opinion, Honorable mention to my Georgia boys The Allman Brothers

80's Okay they could be 70's also but it has to go to Kansas and Boston in a tie, with Honorable mention to AC/DC

90's Pink Floyd this is where they hit their zenith, even though they started in the 60's you could even say they were the most important through all these decades. This is just my opinion.

2000's I will take some heat for this, but Dream Theater, with an Honorable mention to Megadeath

90's PAN FUCKIN TERA

Think about it.... how many bands have been influenced by Phil Anselmo's ruthless, vicious vocals? How about Dimebag's incendiary guitar tone AND heaviness? Any band that has a growling vocalist will most likely hail Pantera as one of their influences. No, Phil wasn't the first to sing that way, but he was the first to put it on the map. As much as I hate the heroin junkie bastard, I must give him credit for brutalizing metal in an unforgettable way. And Dimebag's guitarwork was ballistic frenzied insane lead shredding AND brutal all in one.

Bryan: pantera was most definately inspirational in metal (though i don't like the band whatsoever). However, I think the thread was going for a most influential..metal or not...in the whole of the popular music world...i dont think pantera quite makes it on the list...sorry =\

Nirvana was good, but Pearl Jam of the 90's is the stuff of Legends.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I think it'll be a long, long time - if ever - that I can hear another Nirvana song, but they were pretty much the band of the '90's, at least from a mainstream perspective (which would horrify Cobain). It could not have Bush because Bush would not have existed without Nirvana. So many of those bands wouldn't have existed with Nirvana - or Alice in Chains (great band, but they were the band most copied by hard rock hacks trying to cash in). I respect Pearl Jam's first two albums, but I can't say I like either one.

My favorite band of the era that made a sizable dent on the mainstream? Easily Nine Inch Nails. I like Smashing Pumpkins (though am skeptical about their "return"), I give Corgan major props for being a metal fan - and a vocal one at that - at a time when the term "metal" was considered a black mark.

The 2000's are dominated by Blink clones, but also Nickelback clones...which I hate more. While I have no issues with the original grunge, where it was weird and arty, I have all the problems in the world with commercial music that strives for a "grunge" sound.

I can't say Nickleback has a bunch of clones out from this year, simply because they've been around a lot longer than their song from Spiderman 2 put them on the map. anyone who lives near or in Canada can attest to that. If anything, Nickleback conformed for radio airplay. Especially if you're familiar with their ACTUAL orignal stuff, from .. 1996?

Nickelback themselves have been around for years, but my local "hard rock" radio station is infested with one long, grey mishmash of songs that all sound like bands wanting to be just like them - or at least their commercial material. This started around 2003, right around the time people started getting the memo that nu-metal was, truly, dead.

Incidentally, I didn't like "The State," either

The bands that seemingly made the most impact in music as l see it:

60s - tie...The Beatles & Jimi Hendrix

70s - Led Zeppelin...no question in my mind

80s - "The Metal Era"...tie...Van Halen/Metallica...VH influenced tons of metal bands on one end of the spectrum...and everybody played guitar the way they did because of Eddie, some still do. Metallica influenced bands on the other end of the metal spectrum.

90s - Nirvana...Cobain single handedly killed metal and influenced craploads of wannabes. As far as lone artists are concerned...l'd give a shout out to Garth Brooks. Garth single handedly made it "cool to be country" when that music genre was dead.

00s - ugh...do l have to?

nobody is suggesting KISS for the 70s? They made music a business and took things to a new level in terms of business. Sabbath affected metal but not so much the entire scope of "music" like Kiss did. Zepplin did a great cover record for their first one but I'm not sure that they did much outside of the rock realm.

About rock, hard rock and metal:

60s - Rolling Stones, Cream, Who

70s - Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath

80s - Van Halen, Iron Maiden, J.Y. Malmsteen

90's - Metallica (first half of the decade), German Power Metal (Helloween, Blind Guardian, ecc.), Dream Theater

00s - ?

60's: The Beatles and The Stones. 2 greatest bands in history
70's: KISS & AC/DC
80's: Iron Maiden, Motley Crue and Guns and Roses
90's: Nirvana
00's: Green Day

60's - 4 bands defined this era: The Beatles for opening the door to what modern rock, I would say the Yardbirds because they introduced Clapton, Page and Beck to the world, and emphasized blues guitar into modern rock. The Doors for setting the blueprint to the modern stage show, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience for the final rock masterpiece of the 60's.

70's - If anyone has stood the test of time, it is Ronnie James Dio. Every band he was on he made better. His vocal and writing style is one that every metal act and their grandmother try to duplicate. Sure, KISS made rock a business, and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and AC/DC re-created the rock genre. However, without Dio, you would NOT have had the metal upsurge in the 80's, and you would NOT have power metal as we know it today.

80's - Eddie Van Halen opened and closed the book on metal guitar. His riffs are those that the world try to emulate. However, the band that rammed metal home was Iron Maiden. Like Dio, Maiden refined the punk scene into a more melodic approach. There are those that say "The Trooper" was the first power metal song. Though I think Rainbow's "Kill the King" takes that crown, it was Maiden that defined this era.

90's - Yeah, they say Nirvana killed metal. I don't believe that. I believe several factors did in 80's metal, like piss-poor acts that can't tie their shoes, or over-indulgent ("cough"yngwie"cough") artists. However, three bands that stand out to me, that I think really defined this era are Pantera, Pearl Jam, and Sepultura. Pearl Jam for trying to bring music to the masses and fighting TicketBastard. Sepultura for opening the door for Latin metal, and single-handedly invented nu-metal. Sadly, the Cavalera brothers get far less credit than they deserve. And, finally, Pantera for being that crossover band that had universal appeal. Phil Anselmo, when healthy, is a master growler. And, Dimebag being one of the greatest axmen of his generation.

00's - Come back to me in a few years.

Peace,
Ray C.

Can this even be contested?

60's Beatles
70's Led Zeppelin
80's Michael Jackson
90's Pearl Jam
00's American Idol

Note: "Most important" NOT = "Best"

Joe-×;6405396 said:
Can this even be contested?

60's Beatles
70's Led Zeppelin
80's Michael Jackson
90's Pearl Jam
00's American Idol

Note: "Most important" NOT = "Best"

You know, you make a darned good point here. I too agree that most important doesn't mean the best to the mainstream.

~Brian~

Yeah, they say Nirvana killed metal. I don't believe that. I believe several factors did in 80's metal, like piss-poor acts

Ditto. People act like the 1980's was some golden decade for metal in the mainstream, and while it was easier to see bands like Dio getting some recognition, I mostly remember really bad ballads and hair bands trying to "grow up" and make blues-rock albums. Who wants to hear Poison trying to be serious artists?!?

You remember hearing that because thats what made it out of the era, which is shitty, because there were a number of good acts. It seems like if you made it to sunset strip in the 80's, you pretty much had yourself a record contract. People have a tendancy to remember terrible things, never good things. There was a BUNCH of awesome metal that came out of the 80's before 1987, when bands "slowed it down."

60s - I'll cast my vote for Jimi Hendrix even though the Beatles for obvious reasons.

70s - Led Zep, the RAMONES, Alice Cooper, Kiss, Sabbath, Aerosmith
Reason - without these, there would be no metal, punk or rock

80s - Motorhead, Scorpions, Metallica, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Priest, Crue, Megadeth, Anthrax
Reason - most influential out of the decade IMO

90s - Pantera, White Zombie, Nevermore, Fear Factory, RATM, Stuck Mojo, Biohazard
Reason - Some of these kept the metal alive, others took it to new directions, even though Mojo may not be as popular, them and Hardcorps took the rap/metal ball that Anthrax/PE and Smith/DMC started and ran with it not KORN as they would have you believe. Love it or hate it, it was a big crossover for the 2 genres in the 90s.

2k - Tenacious D

Most of the bands I listed can be influences in more than one decade, specifically the bands from 70s-80s and vice versa.