The most important band to you, musically?

This got me to remember how important 103.1 WVVX with Scott Loftus was to me in the 80s in Chicagoland. I think they only were on from 8pm to like 2am and the rest of the time the station was a political or religious station.

It was on this channel that you'd also hear all the metal bands that were not big on the radio or MTV (until Headbangers started in '87). It was this station that got me to wait at the door at Sound Warehouse for Mindcrime to come out. Other bands that station opened the door would be Metal Church, Testament, Fates Warning to name a few.

It was the death of these types of stations and lack of internet that made much of the 90s a dead zone for new music me. Just didn't hang around enough metal fans to hear much by word of mouth during that time.

Good ol' VVX! The problem I had with that station was it was mono. It was an FM station, but was mono. Still a great place to pick up on new stuff.That, and Kerrang magazine! Ahhh the good ol' days!

Motley Crue. I wasn't a fan of music until I heard Shout at the Devil. I played that cassette from the moment I got up in the morning, until I went to be at night. I must have worn through three copies before finally owning it on CD.

Dream Theater. I was deep into Queensryche...complex, lyrical content, and the metal edge had me hooked. But, I was always leaning toward the more technical spectrum and that was always guitar players, Van Halen, Malmsteen, etc. Then I heard I&W and that was exactly what I had been looking for. Heavy, extreme technicality from all instruments, even more complex, lyrically appealing. DT had it all and they still do.

Nice to see another person who appreciates musicals here. :) I sang a song from Jekyll & Hyde one year for a vocal contest when I was in high school. I sang "Someone Like You." I think this was not long after I'd seen a touring cast come through my city. The actor who played Jekyll/Hyde had at one time been a college football player. The dude was huge, and did an amazing job.

I've just always seen a direct link between musicals and Power. I'm kind of surprised that there are so few that make that connection it seems. A lot of the responses here do seem to have been more targeted at heavier or more technical sides of metal. That's pretty freaking sweet you sang that at a contest though. It really is a magnificent play.

I've just always seen a direct link between musicals and Power. I'm kind of surprised that there are so few that make that connection it seems. A lot of the responses here do seem to have been more targeted at heavier or more technical sides of metal. That's pretty freaking sweet you sang that at a contest though. It really is a magnificent play.

I've been making that connection since I got into metal. Musicals and concept albums aren't much different, either. A concept album is merely a musical that hasn't been staged yet. :)

I feel like such a pussy for this, but...

Stryper

(sigh)

Look, I was 12 and my father was a Baptist minister. Stryper was the only band I was allowed to like, at least openly. Now, my folks couldn't tell by listening whether I was playing Stryper or Dokken, so I got to sneak some contraband rock that way, but Stryper was my band, and I was a fierce fan. I mean, write a fan letter to Oz Fox kind of fan. The sad thing is, as much as I still love 80's hair metal (I just spent 12 hours outdoors at the M3 fest with the likes of Bang Tango and Nelson), I can't listen to Stryper at all. They just sound horrible to me. Oh well, that's the extent of my 80's angst.

Now, some albums that changed my musical mindset and still resonate with me today:

Iron Maiden: Somewhere in Time - My first real metal album, and my favorite Maiden album.

Metallica: And Justice For All - My second real metal album, and the first one I'd consider aggressive.

Faith No More: The Real Thing - This just blew me away with its unpredictability.

Mother Love Bone: s/t - You can keep your Nirvana and Pearl Jam. This one was like a discovery from an alien planet.

Dream Theater: Images and Words - I can't even begin to explain what this album did to me. It totally changed the way I thought about music, and nothing has really measured up since then.

Then, for the longest time, nothing. I relied on radio and MTV for new music, and most of it sucked. Oh, I bought some CDs - Soundgarden, Tool, Rage Against the Machine - but nothing really set my world on fire. Then I met Jeremy (Heaven & Hell Records), who clued me into the fact that real metal still existed if you knew where to look. He handed me Fifth Angel: s/t, Crimson Glory: Transcendence, Black Sabbath: Tyr, Helstar: A Distant Thunder and Helloween: Keeper Part II. Old stuff, to be sure, but just what I needed. After that I went searching like a maniac for new metal, and between Jeremy's suggestions and the internet, I found it in the form of Angra, Savatage, Vanden Plas, Iced Earth and damn near every other band to grace a PPUSA stage. I know he can rub people the wrong way sometimes, but Jeremy's mission in life is to bring metal to the masses. If I hadn't met him I'd probably be listening to goddamned Nickelback or Creed right now.

Anyhow, back to those key albums. After a major prog and power binge (and subsequent minor purge), I branched out a bit

In Flames: Whoracle and Amorphis: Elegy - These were my first death metal albums, and my first idea that death could also share traits with other genres. They kicked open the door for so many other "extreme" bands.

Opeth: Blackwater Park - This proved just how far progressive metal could go. It still gives me chills.

Pink Cream 69: Electrified - This is the album that reignited my passion for 80s style melodic rock, which is probably my favorite type of music, at least so far.

This feels like a biography now, so I'm calling it quits. There are a lot more albums that made an impact on me, but these seem like the highlights.

Well folks as I am the elder statesman in the forum, my musically background goes wayyyyyyyy back. So hear we go:

60's- It would have to be: Amboy Dukes, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, Love, Soft Machine Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

70's - Boston, Yes, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Strawbs, Rick Wakeman, Emerson Lake and Palmer

80's - Krokus, AC/DC, SRV, GTR(Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Jonathan Mover,Max Bacon, Phil Spalding), Genesis

90's Well I was still listening to the 80's stuff, and went back to the 60's and was listening to all the old bands of my Youth

99- I discoverd this band called Iced Earth, and my musically Journey into Progressive, and Power metal begain.

2001- Nighwish, Fates Warning, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Elegy, Balance of Power and many many others now my journey was complete i was hooked on Progressive?power metal.

I'm right there wit ya, J-Man!!! I can't BELIEVE you saw the Soft Machine!!!

For me it was the Moody Blues, until December 30, 1994, when a friend made me listen to a song called "Chance"...by a little-know band (in the USA), named...

Chris :headbang:

Wow I don’t think I could ever narrow it down to just one. HAHA It has been a long road that I don’t regret walking.
There was that night seeing Alice Cooper on the Muppet Show.
My first two albums in order of purchase were Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ and Culture Clib ‘Color By Numbers’. Around the same time was Duran Duran and a little band called Journey. I use to have posters on my wall of Journey and Duran Duran that came out of boxes of Captain Crunch.
After that I acquired Genesis (Gabriel) and Yes cassettes. Later my uncle gave me Zeppelin 4 and that album started me on my way. Then there was that song that the Road Warriors came running to the ring to, that song was so damn heavy and I needed to find that tune. So a buddy had Ozzy’s ‘Speak of the Devil’ and he traded it to me for a Mountain Dew. O know had a version of ‘Iron Man’ and would soon after go by ‘Paranoid’
From seeing the dawning of MTV (I actually saw the rocket launch) and the local video station before that I remember everything from Souixie to Van Halen. And my mom would buy tapes for herself that would end up being given to me like Rick Springfield ‘Business hasn’t Spoiled Me Yet’. She would also tell me about bands and artist all the time from Plasmatics and Adam Ant and the Ants to King Crimson and Uriah Heep. For year I could not find crimson and Heep albums, never actually heard them until middle school but I knew who they were. As for the band Quicksilver Messager Service she told me about well I could not really get into that it was to hippish.
Now in third grade when I got the Ozzy, that same kid I started skating with and with stating (skateboard) usually comes punk rock. Black Flag, DK, Circle Jerks, Terry actual gave me my first circle Jerks and Flag tapes along with; Molly Hatchet ‘Flirting’, Meatloaf ‘Bat Out of Hell’ and Aerosmith ‘Toys in the Attic’. He hooked me up with some cool stuff but it was his dad’s collection that probably influenced me the most has far as taste and the collecting side of things. Terry did not seem to appreciate the hundreds of albums his dad had but I could not get enough of them. I would stay over at his house just to go through all those albums. This was where I would come across bands like Angel, Starz, Triumphant, Cheap Trick, BOC, and the list goes on.
The summer between 4th and 5th grade I went to summer camp where a consoler would give me my first Iron Maiden album ‘Somewhere in Time’ along with a cassette of The Doors and a band called Sanctuary. Also kissed my first girl at that camp and had my first cigarette.
Whitesnake would soon after come into my life. I love that band. They would end up being my first concert a few years later on the next album tour with Bad English opening.
Then I discovered Headbanger’s Ball and Grim Reaper, oh my god. That was another important moment that was. That became a ritual. After the ball then would I hunt for any movie on cable that might show boobs. I liked staying at my cousin’s on Saturdays because his dad had ‘Debbie Does Dallas’. I stayed loyal to the Ball on up through high school but know we watched it by then at our heavy metal vomit parties and Slayer seemed to have more of an appeal than Keel and Helix.
There I did find Queensryche and Helloween. Especially Queensryche would just take me over.
Somewhere around the time that my friends were getting into Metallic right when Cliff had died my first thrash band would be Possessed. Possessed would lead me down an entirely different road that my peers who were into Metallica. I never felt right about Metallica and I know they have always been a gateway for a lot of people, but most people I knew who started with Metallica got out of rock and metal eventually… Much like Metallica themselves would do.
Then I started drumming in a band, not long after I was singing in bands and forever stay in tune with just music in general.