The most important band to you, musically?

I was 7 yrs old in 1977 and the album was Kiss Alive II. That album and album cover and inserts was and still is the coolest thing ever. The picure of Gene Simmons all sweaty and covered in blood is the shit! I still have a full sized poster of the inside of the album which is a shot of the entire stage engulfed in flames. :devil:

I'm interesting in this regard as I really didn't start listening to music until I was 17 or 18. Up until that point the only music I knew was classical, due to being in orchestra. Also, I don't know why, but I think at one point I got the impression (when I was MUCH younger that my mom didn't want me to listen to alternative stuff (including metal). Turns out, when I was 17 and started listening and started grabbing discs, she said that was never true. So yeah I was a late bloomer. As far as my start, some may laugh, but I credit Staind significantly on a personal level as it helped me through some tough times. Also during that time, Red Hot Chili Peppers really made an impression.

Later in hs in senior year, this is going to sound silly, but my science teacher did some experiment and was talking about metals and shit, and so she was playing AC/DC's High Voltage for me and that was the start of my love for classic rock, despite her calling it metal. :lol:

From there though, I think in post high school, that got me curious about some of the older bands and just on a complete and utter whim, I purchased the Black Sabbath compilation "We Sold Our Soul For Rock and Roll", which kickstarted my complete love for metal, which resulted in me going to my first concert which was I think the 2004 Ozzfest where they and Priest shared the stage. I was so entranced by Priest that I immediately got their discography, and from there it just was a whirlwind where I started getting really into the classic metal stuff.

Looking into the classic metal stuff though, I decided to branch out a bit and looked into Helloween's "Keeper" albums, which is what ultimately started to get me interested in the underground metal stuff, and as they say the rest is history.

So basically:

Staind and RHCP - got me interested in music on a personal level.

AC/DC - Complete accident due to my Senior year high school teacher which led me to...

Black Sabbath - Got me interested in classic metal, which led to...

Judas Priest - Which got me interested into such an array of metal, especially the heavier stuff and that led to...

Helloween - Got me interested in the underground heavy metal scene.

When I was a kid, I didn't have my own music, nor any way to play any music I might have had. My Dad had a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s that was all over the place. I checked a lot of it out and the one thing that hit me immediately was The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper. I used to listen to that all the time when I was a little kid (when I say little, I mean like 5 years old). That was the first time that music really "spoke to me," and I've been listening to music constantly for the rest of my life. So for me, it would have to be The Beatles. I'd follow that up with KISS, as they were for me when I was in Jr. High School, and all males my age in the US, my introduction into hard rock/heavy metal.

Well folks as I am the elder statesman in the forum, my musically background goes wayyyyyyyy back. So hear we go:

60's- It would have to be: Amboy Dukes, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, Love, Soft Machine Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention.

70's - Boston, Yes, Rush, Blue Oyster Cult, Strawbs, Rick Wakeman, Emerson Lake and Palmer

80's - Krokus, AC/DC, SRV, GTR(Steve Hackett, Steve Howe, Jonathan Mover,Max Bacon, Phil Spalding), Genesis

90's Well I was still listening to the 80's stuff, and went back to the 60's and was listening to all the old bands of my Youth

99- I discoverd this band called Iced Earth, and my musically Journey into Progressive, and Power metal begain.

2001- Nighwish, Fates Warning, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Elegy, Balance of Power and many many others now my journey was complete i was hooked on Progressive?power metal.

Been around for some time.
Much of my early musical taste came from listening late nights to WNEW.
There are however a few bands of note thought the years....

First band to completely blow me away as a kid was Emerson Lake & Palmer
My folks were having a party...do not remember the occasion...had to have been like 11 or so. In any event I was introduced to one of the guests and somehow, a musical discussion ensued. I really do not remember much about this guy but he mentioned ELP and the fact they were a trio that put out an amazing sound. His passion for this band was tremendous and impressed me so much that within the next few days I had their debut album and was....well, blown away by what I heard. This ultimately led me to King Crimson and Yes....and onward to Sabbath, Priest and continued interest in blues and blues based rock.

In the late 70's I heard Elvis Costello while walking through a mall of all places. The uniqueness of his voice had me at first listen and his writing was absolutely amazing. He was the next artist that helped change my musical listening direction....led me down the punk and alternative path of the 80's...which included Depeche Mode, a band I still find amazing. Through DM I also met quite a few people, many I still stay in touch with.

A return to metal probably had more to do with Savatage of the early 90's as well as Dream Theater than any other band of the time, or the demise of the original alternative scene.
Savatage though had more of a personal impact, on many levels, and ultimately led me here.

I am sure this will happen again, but at this point in time, I do not see it.....though then again, at any given time past, I am sure I never saw it coming as well.

I'm few years older than you Pat.... so the 90s isn't my decade at all.. in fact, the 90s for me is pretty much a wasted decade IMHO. Once Nirvana came on the scene, I pretty much tuned out.

In the 80s, I followed U2 and Rush quite a bit. Some "hair metal" but just the typical "hard rock" that was popular at that time. Van Halen was one band I followed quite a bit.

In the 70s, it was Led Zeppelin, Rush, Genesis and such.

By the time my friend Steve turned me on to prog and power metal in 2005, I was in a "classic rock rut" as I like to call it. Since 2005 I'm pretty much only following prog and power metal bands, with the exception of Rush and U2. I still follow both of those bands religiously.

I'm interesting in this regard as I really didn't start listening to music until I was 17 or 18. Up until that point the only music I knew was classical, due to being in orchestra. Also, I don't know why, but I think at one point I got the impression (when I was MUCH younger that my mom didn't want me to listen to alternative stuff (including metal).

The first part is kinda neat in my opinion (about you being immersed in classical/orchestra long before pop/rock music) and seems to be pretty rare these days.

The second point made me think back to my younger days. I didn't grow up in an oppressive household, but my mom was very uptight about music; she thought it was a one-step process between listening to rock and doing drugs, having sex, etc. So she would regularly go through my CD collection and confiscate anything she thought was "bad". Sometimes she was more on target than other times. One lamented victim that I lost to her prying was The Beatles White Album. :( She was very suspicious of any alt rock, grunge, etc.

IRON MAIDEN and JUDAS PRIEST. I "discovered" both in eighth grade in 1982. "The Number of the Beast" and "Screaming for Vengeance" just fucking blew me away! Both are still my favorite albums by ANYBODY to this day.

The second point made me think back to my younger days. I didn't grow up in an oppressive household, but my mom was very uptight about music; she thought it was a one-step process between listening to rock and doing drugs, having sex, etc. So she would regularly go through my CD collection and confiscate anything she thought was "bad". Sometimes she was more on target than other times. One lamented victim that I lost to her prying was The Beatles White Album. :( She was very suspicious of any alt rock, grunge, etc.

Yeah, the weird thing about it is that my mom is so far away from uptight, yet something, somewhere made me think that about her and music. It'll always be a mystery to me why I thought that.

The band that made me realize how much I loved music was Guns N' Roses. I was only 8 years old when Use Your Illusion came out, but I remember being with my older brother at a Fred Meyer Store when he picked up the Use Your Illusion I cassette. We jammed it on the way home, and I was in awe! It sounded cool, and like half of the songs had swear words just in the title alone! :) That was enough for me to be hooked. I begged my older brother FOREVER to make me a copy of it, and he eventually did. Slash was my childhood/teenage hero. I still think his guitar tone is unmatched and I consider it electric perfection!

The band that got me into metal was Megadeth. The same brother as before also eventually got a copy of Countdown and Youthanasia, and for most of my early teens thats the only Megadeth that I knew. I LOVED Mustaine's snarly, raspy singing style and found most of the songs from those discs catchy as hell! I borrowed those from him regularly and became completely engrossed, and eventually found bands like Metallica and Pantera. For Christmas the year I was a sophomore, one of the things that was given to me was Megadeth's Capitol Punishment compilation. That was the first time I heard Holy Wars and In my Darkest Hour. I remember being so blown away that I went out and bought the first 4 Megadeth albums like a week later. Megadeth is still my favorite metal band, and Mustaine is my favorite frontman!

The last band that I feel had the most impact on me and what I currenly listen to is In Flames. Like some of you have mentioned, I wasn't happy with a lot of the stuff that I was hearing on the radio, and didn't like most of the cookie cutter hard rock that most of my friends were listening to. My two favorite bands had both pretty well disbanded at that point, (Just after Mustaine's arm injury) and I had no Idea what to listen to. Then one sunday night i was flipping through the radio stations and landed on the local flagship station for hard rock here in SLC, and noticed that the music they were playing was friggin heavy! I soon learned that one of the DJ's ran a sunday night program that he called KAOS, and on it he played nothing but heavy metal. It just so happened that that night, In Flames was in town and they were doing a brief promotion for the show on this program. During the promotion they played Pinball Map and Clayman, both of which I was hearing for the first time. I had found exactly what I wanted in In Flames!! I continued to listen to the program that first time and was also blessed to hear tracks from Opeth, Nile, Kreator and Soilwork during that broadcast. I consider that night to be the most important night I've ever had in terms of my current musical tastes. The next day I went out and bought In Flames' Clayman, and very shortly after that I picked up Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos and Opeth's Deliverance. In Flames was my "gateway" band. From them, I discovered black, death, prog, power, and everything in between.

...so to sum it up, the three bands that I consider to be the most important bands to ever play music are G N' R, Megadeth, and In Flames. (funny enough, I don't even follow In Flames much anymore. They are no longer the same band I fell in love with!)

I'm 25 and in high school and early college years I was more into punk rock. The band that was most important to me was without a doubt The Alkaline Trio. Then in 2004 or 2005 my friend Chris introduced me to Rhapsody and Gamma Ray. Then with the help of the internet I discovered many amazing power/prog metal bands that I did not even know existed. Then I got a job a record store where we blasted Budgie, Black Sabbath, Atomic Rooster, Rush non-stop. From there I discovered NWOBHM/traditional, doom, and stoner metal. If I had to name the most important band to me it would probably be Sabbath or Gamma Ray.

When I was a kid living in Mexico I discovered rock music thanks to a casstte tape that my dad had of Led Zeppelin that I heard for the first time when I was 8 yrs old.

From the time I was 12 till 15 there were 3 tapes that were the soundtrack to those years, they were:

Nirvana - Nevemind
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Black Album

Metallica was by FAR my favorite and I used to listen to that album at least once a day for months. As far as I knew back then that was as heavy as things got. That album meant the world to me back then, it made me an individual and it made me realise at an early age that being different from the crowd wasn't a bad thing after all. I remember one time around 1996 when my family went to Acapulco I was walking down the mail avenue and I saw a p.h.a.r.m.a.c.y., as soon as I entered there was a sign promoting Metallica's new album Load. I almost fainted cause in the small town where I'm from we didn't get these kinds of tapes. I told my mom to buy it but she didnt want to so I traded my Para Sailing money to buy the cassette tape.

Later on when I came to the US I discovered Pantera and they pretty much ruled the next 3 yrs of my life. Finally I saw the video fro Can I play with Madness by Iron Maiden and I had a friend that was really into them so he invited me to my first concert which was Iron Maiden at The Aragon in 1999.

Needless to say I become an instant Maiden fan and it hasn't changed since.

Well being 25 my coming of age years (which are the times that music really meant the most to you) was right in the middle of the Nu Metal movement, which I empraced wholeheartedly (and still do enjoy from time to time). So I would say the bands at that time that meant the most to me were FLAW and Project 86.

By my senior year I had started to get into metal with bands such as Evergrey and Iced Earth(which is still my favorite band)

Melodic Hard Rock still holds a special place in my heart and the bands out of that genre that still speak to my soul are Blindside and Parabelle/early Evan's Blue.

Soundtrack to my teen angst and coming of age years? Corrosion of Conformity, Iron Maiden, Amorphis, Everlast, Disturbed, Elton John, and Rage Against the Machine. They're all still very important to me musically, and I can't dare to pick one of the bunch.

I realize two of those doesn't really fit; just go with it.

In the 80's, Whitesnakes s/t album turned me in a whole different direction musically. After I heard Coverdale/Sykes, it was all over! From there, I fell in love with 80's "hair bands".

Once the 90's came around, I was a frustrated teen hating the alternative/grunge shit that a few of you speak of. I was into a few bands from that scene, but overall, the 90's sucked imo. With that said, I feel like Pantera was the "saviour" of heavy metal in that decade. They were full of "real" angst and I dug every second of Vulgar Display of Power. That music made me want to really hurt someone! :lol:

In the early 2000's, FatesFan turned me onto Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Rhapsody, Edguy, and Stratovarius. I thought I was hearing "Heaven" through my speakers again! Then I discovered Savatage. This band is the "soundtrack" to my existence! I love every era, album, and note these guys have ever played! :D I've been in love with our ProgPower scene ever since.

~Brian~