Most Overrated Classic Radio LP Cut

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
For me, it's a close call between Zepp's Stairway to Heaven & Aerosmith's Dream On. Two songs that I don't feel are very good & aren't what I think of when I think of iether of the two bands. When I listen to the radio, I have to hit the dial when either of these two tracks come on!:erk:

Man I totally disagree. I think both "Dream On" and StH are great great songs, but just overplayed. My pick would be anything by The Doors. I don't know who it was that first told Jim Morrison that he can sing, but I would pay money to slap them. I also can't stand that pipe organ sounding keyboards. If I had to pick one song I guess it would be "Break on Through" though there are probably worse ones that I can't think of.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I don't know who it was that first told Jim Morrison that he can sing, but I would pay money to slap them.

WHAT?!!! The Doors fuckin rule! It's not about "how" Morrison sang but "what" he sang. Out of all of the 60's hippie shit bands they are about the only one I very much like, enough to have all of their albums on cd.

As for the classic rock song I'd go with anything by the Beatles... now there's a band I'd like to slap! Waaaaaayy overrated.

Greeno said:
WHAT?!!! The Doors fuckin rule! It's not about "how" Morrison sang but "what" he sang. Out of all of the 60's hippie shit bands they are about the only one I very much like, enough to have all of their albums on cd.
T%o each his own buddy. They give me a headache... o_O

Bryant

No, no, not the Doors or the Beatles..... AC/DC - Highway To Hell ! Please slap the :yuk: out of them.

Bryant said:
Man I totally disagree. I think both "Dream On" and StH are great great songs, but just overplayed.
I agree, they're awesome songs, but maybe "killed" by the radios.

As for the most overrated "hit" to me... well, anything by Guns 'n Roses :p
or "We Will Rock You" by Queen? Nah I mean I love Queen, but this is one of their weakest songs IMO. I don't know why it is still airplayed so oftenly.

Bryant said:
Man I totally disagree. I think both "Dream On" and StH are great great songs, but just overplayed. My pick would be anything by The Doors. I don't know who it was that first told Jim Morrison that he can sing, but I would pay money to slap them. I also can't stand that pipe organ sounding keyboards. If I had to pick one song I guess it would be "Break on Through" though there are probably worse ones that I can't think of.
Bryant
Disagree. The Doors are also overplayed according to your reasoning, but not overrated. 'Stairway To Heaven' and 'Dream On' are boring as hell compared to 'Break On Through'. 'Riders Of The Storm', 'Gloria', 'Light My Fire' are as entertaining as any other song in classic radio.

My two cents belief is that classic radio can't use their brains, and go beyond the three songs for which all bands are most known.

But if we are going to start a discussion between overrated and overplayed, we are going to be here for a long, long time.

Sinner Rider said:
I hate the Beatles with a passion! Although I will respect them........but I still really...really..hate them. Overrated!

Agreed!!!!!! Not that I hate them, I just don't care about them. They had some cool little songs but give it a rest already.

Greeno said:
Agreed!!!!!! Not that I hate them, I just don't care about them. They had some cool little songs but give it a rest already.
Agreed too. I prefer the Rolling Stones, more rock less pop. But even the Stones are overplayed in the radio.

Classic radio don't understand that keeping the classics alive doesn't mean keep them psychotically alive.

How many good songs bands like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepellin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, BTO, BOC, Scorpions, etc. have? Then why, WHY are always the same again and again in radio?

Is the radio consumer so square than cannot accept diversity? I can't believe so.

Opinions please.

Wyvern said:
Agreed too. I prefer the Rolling Stones, more rock less pop. But even the Stones are overplayed in the radio.

Right on! I love the late 60's early 70's stuff!!

Wyvern said:
Classic radio don't understand that keeping the classics alive doesn't mean keep them psychotically alive.

We have a new classic rock station that includes 80's metal/hard rock on it's play list now. It's cool to hear a Who song and then a Dio song! But they are doing the same thing with the 80's bands, I've noticed that they only play 2 or 3 songs by each band, just repeating the hell out of them.

The Eagles - Hotel California
The Eagles - Life In The Fast Lane
Anything by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pink Floyd - Money
Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall Part II
Rod Stewart - Maggie

Any of the above plus others mentioned make me turn the station.

Wyvern said:
'Stairway To Heaven' and 'Dream On' are boring as hell compared to 'Break On Through'. 'Riders Of The Storm', 'Gloria', 'Light My Fire' are as entertaining as any other song in classic radio.
While I'm not huge on The Doors, I would agree that Dream On & SWTH are boring & overrated. The song titles from The Doors are a bit tastey.

Fangface said:
I agree, they're awesome songs, but maybe "killed" by the radios.

As for the most overrated "hit" to me... well, anything by Guns 'n Roses :p
or "We Will Rock You" by Queen? Nah I mean I love Queen, but this is one of their weakest songs IMO. I don't know why it is still airplayed so oftenly.
Fangface you and I are right on with this one. I liked "Appetite for Destruction" when it first came out ok, but in only a few weeks I got to where I couldn't stand Axl's voice.

Bryant